Andrew Miller and his 10 million dollar salary

brianod

I was in the minority on this board when I recommended resigning him. We should have. I'm in the same minority when I recommend not trading Britton for prospects. So be it. The majority opinion on the value of closers and relief pitchers is dated. I encourage everyone to embrace the new dynamic of baseball in 2017. Starters go 5-6 and don't need to do much but give you a quality start. Then, the pen takes over. We need to improve the pen along with improving the starters. The days of Palmer, McNally, Cuellar and Dobson are over. To adjust, we need to build the pen, not diminish it.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was in the minority on this board when I recommended resigning him. We should have. I'm in the same minority when I recommend not trading Britton for prospects. So be it. The majority opinion on the value of closers and relief pitchers is dated. I encourage everyone to embrace the new dynamic of baseball in 2017. Starters go 5-6 and don't need to do much but give you a quality start. Then, the pen takes over. We need to improve the pen along with improving the starters. The days of Palmer, McNally, Cuellar and Dobson are over. To adjust, we need to build the pen, not diminish it.

Trading Britton is as stupid of an idea as can be. So you might be in the minority but you're are right.

Trading Britton is as stupid of an idea as can be. So you might be in the minority but you're are right.

If you can get a good enough package you have to consider it. I'd personally prefer to keep him but if the offer is good enough I might pull the trigger.

Elite closers usually don't last. For every Mariano Rivera or Trevor Hoffman you have Jonathan Broxton, Eric Gagne, Jim Johnson, BJ Ryan, etc. I can find a ton of closers who had fantastic 2 to 5 years but eventually implode. I really like Britton, and it is great have a dependable closer to shut out games, I still have nightmares from when we had Doug Jones who was an All star closer before he came to Balt. But right now his value will never be any higher and we have holes that need to be filled.

Elite closers usually don't last. For every Mariano Rivera or Trevor Hoffman you have Jonathan Broxton, Eric Gagne, Jim Johnson, BJ Ryan, etc. I can find a ton of closers who had fantastic 2 to 5 years but eventually implode. I really like Britton, and it is great have a dependable closer to shut out games, I still have nightmares from when we had Doug Jones who was an All star closer before he came to Balt. But right now his value will never be any higher and we have holes that need to be filled.

Like Britton, Andrew Miller was once a stud SP prospect. He was moved to the pen because of injuries, IIRC. Not many pitchers of any profile have the ceiling of Miller. He should be viewed as such, not diminished to just a relief pitcher. Britton is similar in that regard, IMO.

Why is it stupid? Would it have been stupid to trade high on Jim Johnson prior to his quick demise? What about Eric Gagne? Fernando Rodney?

I'd be willing to bet a large sum of money that Britton just had a career year. The difference (value ) between Britton and Givens, O'day, or Brach, over the next TWO years, might not be anywhere close to the value gained in a modest haul of prospects that could push our window out even further.

The real story here is Cleveland proofing that the oriole pitching philosophy of building the strongest possible bullpen is proving effective in the playoffs. The only problem is that they are also proving that it may be better to have your strongest reliever be you 2 IP 7th and 8th inning guy and not necessarily your closer.

I have always maintained that is a bullpen's biggest weapon. I would love to see the Orioles fill it. I think if they give up on wright as a starter, tell him to ratchet up to 97 that he is a contender.

Why is it stupid? Would it have been stupid to trade high on Jim Johnson prior to his quick demise? What about Eric Gagne? Fernando Rodney?

I'd be willing to bet a large sum of money that Britton just had a career year. The difference (value ) between Britton and Givens, O'day, or Brach, over the next TWO years, might not be anywhere close to the value gained in a modest haul of prospects that could push our window out even further.

No one ever would have stood for Johnson being traded after his initial 50 save season and the Orioles first playoffs in two decades.

The only way I trade Britton is for a stud mlb player in the package. Not maybe and might be. Actual legit plays at a high level this year player. That's why I wouldn't trade him.

The package is the Kimbrel package or more. Any less, just keep him.

Archived