The case for Josh Reddick

ChuckS

Reddick could come cheaper than expected. Primary reason being that he is really a platoon player, being close to worthless against left handed pitching throughout his career and especially last season (.366 OPS/not a typo).

Career against righties: .270 .330 .457 .787

Career against lefties: .218 .280 .360 .640

Maybe a 2/18 or 3/25 type deal does it. There is a good chance he is an .800-.850 OPS bat playing half his games in Camden Yards and limited to right handed pitching. His average defense in RF will be a huge upgrade as well from what we have had out there recently. Resign Pearce and I think we have the OF corners and DH covered with Kim/Rickard in LF, Reddick/Pearce in RF, and Mancini/Pearce/Kim at DH.

I would love to sign Dexter Fowler or trade for that magical corner OF who hits and also plays excellent defense, but I don't think those options are realistic.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Reddick could come cheaper than expected. Primary reason being that he is really a platoon player, being close to worthless against left handed pitching throughout his career and especially last season (.366 OPS/not a typo).

Career against righties: .270 .330 .457 .787

Career against lefties: .218 .280 .360 .640

Maybe a 2/18 or 3/25 type deal does it. There is a good chance he is an .800-.850 OPS bat playing half his games in Camden Yards and limited to right handed pitching. His average defense in RF will be a huge upgrade as well from what we have had out there recently. Resign Pearce and I think we have the OF corners and DH covered with Kim/Rickard in LF, Reddick/Pearce in RF, and Mancini/Pearce/Kim at DH.

I would love to sign Dexter Fowler or trade for that magical corner OF who hits and also plays excellent defense, but I don't think those options are realistic.

Are the Orioles spending 8 million for an outfielder?

I'm all for it. Reddick would actually give them defense in RF, and I cannot overstate how poorly the OF defense was last season, from everybody. The only issue with him is, the Orioles would have a tough time getting him days off against LHP, as even their RH batters don't hit LHP well.

Reddick was my big signing in the "fix the team on a budget" thread and I think he'll cost more than $8 mil per.

Are the Orioles spending 8 million for an outfielder?

Maybe. Good reason to think we will have a 10-15 million dollar budget to add free agents, especially if Wieters is gone. I think you can get Reddick, Pearce, and a stopgap catcher for around 15 mil. Deferring a little bit of money to 2017 and 2018 is also a possibility considering how much we have coming off the books in those years.

I'm all for it. Reddick would actually give them defense in RF, and I cannot overstate how poorly the OF defense was last season, from everybody. The only issue with him is, the Orioles would have a tough time getting him days off against LHP, as even their RH batters don't hit LHP well.

Reddick was my big signing in the "fix the team on a budget" thread and I think he'll cost more than $8 mil per.

Joey Rickard in 2016 against LHP: .861

Steve Pearce career against LHP: .852

Kim/Rickard and Reddick/Pearce are great platoon matches.

How many platoon players out there get contracts worth 10 plus a year? Not many. I don't see how any team can look at him as an everyday player considering his career numbers against lefties. I would still go 3/30 on him if it's within the budget. Scarcity could drive up prices a bit so he may get that or a little more from someone.

They should have never signed Davis and DOD if not.

Agreed, 8 mil per is too much to pay your third best reliever if you aren't willing to pay the same amount of money or more for a starting OFer. They should have never paid Davis regardless of the budget.

They could surprise us all again and increase the budget. They've done that every year under Duquette, so maybe it shouldn't be a surprise anymore. I'd go up to 3/33 on Reddick although a Parra type deal (3/27) seems more reasonable. He starts getting most costly than that and I'll pass.

Pass. Hard pass. He's 29, had 1 good year in Oakland, and has a career OBP of .316. That's just what we DON'T need. Even if you only played him against RHP, his .330 OBP is nothing to write home about. If you could get him for around 5-6 million on a 1 or 2 year deal, maybe I'd say yes. But not for what it would actually cost.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/r/reddijo01.shtml

Archived