MLBTR's Offseason Outlook: Orioles

wildcard

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/1...orioles-7.html

This is pretty good summary of where the O's are but it misses a couple of players that will probably play big roles next season.

Joey Rickard - How does an O's writeup mention Mancini, Walker, Pearce, Reimold and Bourn and never mention Rickard? Rickard should backup all outfield positions, be a platoon player vs left-handed pitching and be a defensive replacement next season at the very least. He may progress as a second year player and play a bigger role.

Donnie Hart - Hart deserve to be mentioned as a key part of a strong bullpen. He has earned the role as the 2nd lefty in the pen with his 0.49 ERA in the 2nd half of last season.

There is a mistake on Jimenez salary. It should be 13.5M not 17.5M.

It also does not mention the retirement and replacement of Dave Wallace which could impact the team if not done right.

Other then those exclusions and mistakes the writeup does a pretty good job of describing the O's current situation.

My personal opinion is that the O's may spend big this off season but not for new players. Rather to tie up existing players. I think they could spend more than last off season if they extend Manny, Tillman and Kim. These large long term contracts will not raise the 2017 payroll any more than arbitration would but it would be a big plus for the team's long term stability.

I think because of these large contracts the O's go young in replacing players turning to Mancini, trading from its relief core to get a young fast right fielder, adding a Rule 5 guy to the outfield and promoting Sisco sometime early in the season. I do think the O's may re-sign Tommy Hunter if they trade from their relief core. He should be a lot cheaper now then when they traded him.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think the Jimenez number may include some deferred money from the beginning of the contract. For the other players they list out the remaining commitments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What you are saying is the COTS contracts is wrong on Jimenez. I believe that there is a better chance that the writer of this article just made a mistake.

Cots:

Ubaldo Jimenez rhp

4 years/$50M (2014-17)

4 years/$50M (2014-17)

signed by Baltimore as a free agent 2/19/14

14:$11.25M, 15:$12.25M, 16:$13M, 17:$13.5M

$2.25M annually deferred without interest

annual performance bonuses: $0.4M each for 32 starts, 200 innings

What you are saying is the COTS contracts is wrong on Jimenez. I believe that there is a better chance that the writer of this article just made a mistake.

Cots:

Ubaldo Jimenez rhp

4 years/$50M (2014-17)

4 years/$50M (2014-17)

signed by Baltimore as a free agent 2/19/14

14:$11.25M, 15:$12.25M, 16:$13M, 17:$13.5M

$2.25M annually deferred without interest

annual performance bonuses: $0.4M each for 32 starts, 200 innings

Ubaldo will be paid $50M. How much has he been paid to date? Has he been paid $36.5 already or has some of that been deferred like the contract states?

I think you could see some other players at the end of the roster making a difference too. Along the Hart (AFL success) lines, Yacabonis could make an impact, particularly if Brach or Givens is moved. Yacabonis struck out 46 in 44 IP last year and 8 in 6 IP in the AFL. I could see Drake moving up and Yacabonis taking his role from last year as an occasional call up.

Ubaldo will be paid $50M. How much has he been paid to date? Has he been paid $36.5 already or has some of that been deferred like the contract states?

So you are saying that some of the deferred money is being paid to Ubaldo in 2017? I have not seen that stated in any reporting. Have you? Love to read it.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/1...orioles-7.html

This is pretty good summary of where the O's are but it misses a couple of players that will probably play big roles next season. ....

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to wildcard again.

Good assessment

See here: [thread=155154]2017 Opening Day Payroll Projection[/thread]

For all of the "accountants", please recall that the current CBA's Article XVI definition requires that, by July 1 of the following year, teams set aside money (less a small discount) to fund any deferred compensation the year after it is earned. This is important because deferrals are included in the computation of team indebtedness and the league is extremely wary of again being forced to assume the operation of one of it's members.

So you are saying that some of the deferred money is being paid to Ubaldo in 2017? I have not seen that stated in any reporting. Have you? Love to read it.

I'm suggesting that they have $17.5M as their number because it is possible that is what he is still owed. Or maybe they made a mistake.

I'm suggesting that they have $17.5M as their number because it is possible that is what he is still owed. Or maybe they made a mistake.

Ok. Got it.

Jimenez is owed 13.5m for 2017. He has had 2.25m deferred for each of his first 3 years of the contract. That is 6.75m. So the unpaid amount of his contract is 20.25M.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to wildcard again.

Good assessment

See here: [thread=155154]2017 Opening Day Payroll Projection[/thread]

For all of the "accountants", please recall that the current CBA's Article XVI definition requires that, by July 1 of the following year, teams set aside money (less a small discount) to fund any deferred compensation the year after it is earned. This is important because deferrals are included in the computation of team indebtedness and the league is extremely wary of again being forced to assume the operation of one of it's members.

With that said, deferred money means nothing. Just count it.

This offseason is looking like it's going to be pretty uneventful unless DD can pull off a trade. Obviously the biggest roadblocks are the salaries of Ubaldo, Gallardo and Miley. 40 million right there. If we could deal 1-2 of those contracts things would really open up.

Needs: RF, C, DH

I could see us easily bringing Pedro Alvarez back on a reasonable deal. 2/15ish. Trumbo is going to try and hit it big in a weak FA market. MW has Boras as an agent so nothing will be easy or reasonable there.

Non Tender Candidates:

Worley

Flaherty

Macfarland

As is, I could see all of them going except Flaherty. But if we need to pinch pennies from somewhere Util IF should be the first spot.

It looks like it's going to be a slow developing off season with everything hinging on can we free up some payroll by trading Ubaldo, Gallardo, or Miley. In a perfect world, DD could deal Ubaldo and Gallardo. We could keep Trumbo and P.Alvarez. Find a stop gap C. Pretty much have the same team as last year but with an improved rotation.

Archived