Trade Britton

25 Nuggets

If you ask me right now, I will say I do not expect the Orioles to trade Zach Britton. Losing him next season probably costs the team 4-5 wins. Then again, 2017 Britton probably does not do what 2016 Britton did anyway. So it's a topic for discussion. Give us a proposal and see how the board rates it!

Also, please make it sensible. I want realistic options. And please keep things cordial. No "Orioles aren't trading him so why bother" nonsense -- this is just a fun exercise.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's my example posted in the fill-out-the-roster thread:

TRADE PARTNER: SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS

- what better team to trade to than an annual contender that led the league in blown saves this year. The Giants will have some wiggle room with Jake Peavy, Angel Pagan, Sergio Romo, Santiago Casilla, Javier Lopez and Gregor Blanco all coming off the books.

RETURN

- Christian Arroyo, 21 y/o INF and top organizational prospect. He is probably going to be around #50 on the MLB top prospects list after the season -- not exactly Gleyber Torres, but someone that can put in quality major league work after Hardy leaves.

- Tyler Beede, 23 y/o SP with a 2.81 ERA in AA and a sinkerballer. #2 or 3 prospect in the system, fringe top 100 prospect. If his two-seamer continues to develop he will be a rotation piece for the future.

- Ty Blach, 25 y/o LHP that looked impressive as a rookie, albeit in limited time. I got a chance to see Blach in the postseason and I like him. He can be a lefty in the pen next season, but for the Giants' sake, he's no Zach Britton.

- Jarrett Parker, 27 y/o LH OF that can play both LF and RF and can either be the 4th OF, or what I would prefer, platoon with Joey Rickard and move Hyun-Soo Kim to DH. Parker has power and speed but is old to be considered a prospect. He could really help a thin OF.

-----

WHAT THE TRADE DOES

Obviously it hurts the bullpen to lose its best pitcher. But with Brach, Givens, O'Day, and the addition of Blach, the back end should still be near the top in baseball. The trade will save the team $10 or so mil that can meanwhile be used to fill the gaping hole in RF. This is a decent year to pick up a corner OF in that price range.

If you ask me right now, I will say I do not expect the Orioles to trade Zach Britton. Losing him next season probably costs the team 4-5 wins. Then again, 2017 Britton probably does not do what 2016 Britton did anyway. So it's a topic for discussion. Give us a proposal and see how the board rates it!

Also, please make it sensible. I want realistic options. And please keep things cordial. No "Orioles aren't trading him so why bother" nonsense -- this is just a fun exercise.

Put it this way about what Kimbrel will more likely do next season. Craig Kimbrel is generally regarded the best closer in baseball over the last several years. He's averaged 4 blown saves a year. This past regular season, he had only 2 blown saves, but he lost 6 games. Britton isn't likely to do better next season than an average Kimbrel season.

Put it this way about what Kimbrel will more likely do next season. Craig Kimbrel is generally regarded the best closer in baseball over the last several years. He's averaged 4 blown saves a year. This past regular season, he had only 2 blown saves, but he lost 6 games. Britton isn't likely to do better next season than an average Kimbrel season.

I meant, put it this way about what Britton...

- what better team to trade to than an annual contender that led the league in blown saves this year. The Giants will have some wiggle room with Jake Peavy, Angel Pagan, Sergio Romo, Santiago Casilla, Javier Lopez and Gregor Blanco all coming off the books.

RETURN

- Christian Arroyo, 21 y/o INF and top organizational prospect. He is probably going to be around #50 on the MLB top prospects list after the season -- not exactly Gleyber Torres, but someone that can put in quality major league work after Hardy leaves.

- Tyler Beede, 23 y/o SP with a 2.81 ERA in AA and a sinkerballer. #2 or 3 prospect in the system, fringe top 100 prospect. If his two-seamer continues to develop he will be a rotation piece for the future.

- Ty Blach, 25 y/o LHP that looked impressive as a rookie, albeit in limited time. I got a chance to see Blach in the postseason and I like him. He can be a lefty in the pen next season, but for the Giants' sake, he's no Zach Britton.

- Jarrett Parker, 27 y/o LH OF that can play both LF and RF and can either be the 4th OF, or what I would prefer, platoon with Joey Rickard and move Hyun-Soo Kim to DH. Parker has power and speed but is old to be considered a prospect. He could really help a thin OF.

-----

WHAT THE TRADE DOES

Obviously it hurts the bullpen to lose its best pitcher. But with Brach, Givens, O'Day, and the addition of Blach, the back end should still be near the top in baseball. The trade will save the team $10 or so mil that can meanwhile be used to fill the gaping hole in RF. This is a decent year to pick up a corner OF in that price range.

I'd do that just for the potential to say back to back Blach to Brach.

Actually, it's a pretty decent trade idea, imo.

RETURN

-----

WHAT THE TRADE DOES

Rep to you. Good package, and reasonable trade partner, especially with he way their season ended. I do wonder if we can get something better, but I don't have a proposal yet. If we're gonna trade Zach, now is the time.

Good thought to target SF but I don't see nearly enough in my opinion. I don't know the scouting on Arroyo but I see a <.700 OPS in AA. He may be the top prospect in their system but ranks pretty low in overall SS prospects. I would want someone in the class of Bregman or Swanson, period, to even consider trading 2 years of Britton.

Chapmen, Jansen, and Meloncan are all free agents this off season. Nobody's going to be giving away the farm for Britton right now, even if he wins the Cy Young.

Those three may hit the market, but then you have three teams with deep pockets looking for closers. If Chapman goes back to the Yankees, then that creates a hole. Detroit, San Fran, and Texas could realistically be looking for closers too.

Those three may hit the market, but then you have three teams with deep pockets looking for closers. If Chapman goes back to the Yankees, then that creates a hole. Detroit, San Fran, and Texas could realistically be looking for closers too.

Plus, only Chapman is in Britton's league.

I know this like the tenth trade Britton thread in the last month and there will be thirty more by January, but despite the OH enthusiasm it is NOT going to happen this offseason. If the team sucks next year then maybe he gets traded at the deadline, but the Orioles are going to roll the dice again next season.

Plus closers and setup guys might be one of the few positions that might yield better trade results at the deadline than in the offseason.

Not to mention with bullpens today teams may want Chapman and Britton

The Dodgers are going to keep Jansen he is lights out and they have the money to pay a closer big time money. I agree that the Giants are the best need team but I don't like any package they good make. The have one top 100 guy and he does not impress me as a center piece for a trade a guy with a decent bat but not great defender and maybe not the arm for SS. He seems to fit more as a second baseman and we have one of those. If I trade Britton I want a quality cof and a starting prospect in return.

Archived