Britton & Machado - do you trust Duke

Pruke

Lots of folks yammering that we should trade these guys at peak value. This only works if the return nets great players in 2 - 3 yrs. Is our org capable of netting winners? Otherwise - it makes no sense to trade. So - do you trust Duke & Co to pull that off?

Everybody loves to say that AM was a much better trader than DD, but I have seen no evidence. AM was always selling and thus trading from a place of high leverage, while DD has always been in the opposite position.

So...do I trust DD to trade those guys and get good value? Yes...because it's simply not that difficult to get great talent for superstars.

I trust DD, way more than most OH posters thats for sure. :)

Which ever decision DD makes, several posters will not be happy.

Does the man walk on water, heck no.

Does every deal make sense and work out, heck no.

But, at the end of the day, he has built on the work that AM started and this team has been playing winning baseball and meaningful games during the end of the season.

Some posters like to sling mud on AM or DD and heap praise on the other.

I believe in giving credit where credit is due, and AM did a ton of good for this organization, more than just personnel decisions.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Inspired by concept in original Bill James Historical Abstract, The Indis 2016 leaderboard, using rWAR. 2008&prior: <a href="https://t.co/kdudXlFnMx">https://t.co/kdudXlFnMx</a> <a href="https://t.co/CV6u6ssXMp">pic.twitter.com/CV6u6ssXMp</a></p>— Tangotiger (@tangotiger) <a href="https://twitter.com/tangotiger/status/792014215972290560">October 28, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Everybody loves to say that AM was a much better trader than DD, but I have seen no evidence. AM was always selling and thus trading from a place of high leverage, while DD has always been in the opposite position.

So...do I trust DD to trade those guys and get good value? Yes...because it's simply not that difficult to get great talent for superstars.

Of course.

I'm sure DD could make a fine trade, however, I don't trust that the combination of Angelos, DD and Buck will be forward thinking enough to build this franchise for the future rather than for the now. They'll bank on another 88 win season with a wild card berth and say that's a victory and dismiss the possibility of setting ourselves up for a decade by trading Britton, Machado and Tillman.

I also understand their approach. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. They have a high probability of winning a lot of games over the next two years and they'd be sacrificing that, and likely Buck's willingness to manage here, for kids who will no doubt have many growing pains. A new owner might make that call. These people who are trying to have one last ride will not do so. That's what I don't trust.

Yep, pretty good take. McPhail had success w the Bedard trade and acquisition of Hardy, but he was in a better position to make those deals than Duquette is.

The question is, are they heading in that direction?

I don't expect the franchise to be nimble.

Me neither. However, I would expect any return for Britton or Machado to be very hefty, because otherwise it would make no sense to trade either of them. Almost by definition, I don't think we see a trade where we scratch our heads and think DD got a poor return.

Me neither. However, I would expect any return for Britton or Machado to be very hefty, because otherwise it would make no sense to trade either of them. Almost by definition, I don't think we see a trade where we scratch our heads and think DD got a poor return.

But the end result could easily be a couple first round picks.

Archived