Thread: Short rants.

twoBshorty is offline Plus Member Since 12/05 Major League Starter Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    OK, well, I'm on day 6 (got sick last Thursday night) and no rash. However, I had three nosebleeds yesterday and it looks like one of the strep pustules has migrated under my tongue. Yay. With ibuprofen, I'm not feeling any fever or throat discomfort but this cough is driving me mental! And if it's part of the cold and not a strep side effect, then the antibiotics aren't going to do anything and I'll just have to wait until it moves out. Which, given my history with coughs, could be weeks from now.

I have comprehensive exams on Friday (meaning this was essentially the worst possible week of the semester to get sick) and will be stuck in a testing room with 20 other people for 6 hours. I am really hoping this cough at least lessens in severity by then because otherwise it's going to drive everyone else crazy. I can deal with it, but they're going to hate me.

At work, I'm part of a technical writing team, but I'm also a manager/lead of a few other activities outside of that TW team. It frustrates me when my TW manager "makes suggestions" on how I should go about my business outside of the writing team. Particularly when that commentary is provided in front of a group of other managers.

Would that be frustrating to you, or am I being too sensitive?

Can_of_corn is online now Plus Member since 12/09 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanfran327 View Post
    At work, I'm part of a technical writing team, but I'm also a manager/lead of a few other activities outside of that TW team. It frustrates me when my TW manager "makes suggestions" on how I should go about my business outside of the writing team. Particularly when that commentary is provided in front of a group of other managers.

Would that be frustrating to you, or am I being too sensitive?

I would be ok with it if I had been pulled aside for a chat. I would not be ok with it happening in front of peers or subordinates.

Quote Originally Posted by Can_of_corn View Post
    I would be ok with it if I had been pulled aside for a chat. I would not be ok with it happening in front of peers or subordinates.
    That's my objection. Yeah, this person is my manager for my main taskings, but the other 50% of my time is not under her perview. So for that comment to be made in a public setting (status meeting full of other managers) was somewhat uncalled for, IMO.

McNulty is offline Plus Member Since 3/08 All-Star Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    I don't want kids. Why is this such an alien concept for people? I'm so sick of justifying it.

Quote Originally Posted by McNulty View Post
    I don't want kids. Why is this such an alien concept for people? I'm so sick of justifying it.
    So why don't you want kids?

Oh, you just haven't met the right person yet.

Don Quixote is offline Plus Member Since 4/10 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation
    F&*^ing hate Barca, I really do.

square634 is offline Plus Member since 9/06 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Ordered a bouquet of flowers to be delivered to my girlfriend on her birthday from the website From You Flowers. She received the arrangement and loved it, but it wasn't anything like what I ordered. I picked out the bouquet specifically because it contained her favorite flower, which was entirely absent in the arrangement, and they made other changes and omissions as well. Apparently, they contract out to local florists who can make changes at their discretion. I find that to be a bait-and-switch which should be litigated as fraud. The customer service person offered me a $10 gift certificate on my next order, as if I'm stupid enough to use their website again!

I sent a lengthy angry reply, in which I suggested that they link out to the local florist at the delivery zip code so that the consumer can at least see what his actual options are (sidetrack rant: I say "his," because seriously, only guys have to buy the damned things in the first place, am I right?!), but I know it's just a waste of energy.

(My girlfriend actually loved the bouquet she received, but that's not the point at all).

Spoonless is offline Plus Member since 2006 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    I've had great luck with both FTD and 1800FLOWERS. Never had a bouquet that varied much from the photos on the site.

justD is offline Plus Member since 1/06 Major Leagues Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by square634 View Post
    Ordered a bouquet of flowers to be delivered...
    I used ProFlowers.com recently to send an arrangement to a friend in Arizona for the funeral of his wife. It was to be delivered the day of the funeral. I selected the date of delivery and wasn't notified until that afternoon that they weren't going to deliver it because the local florist they called couldn't find the white flowers. They had left it late enough in the day that they were going to have to wait until the next day to try to find another florist. To deliver the arrangement the day *after* the funeral.

I can't tell you how sad I was. God bless Bill, he never said anything. But he also doesn't know that the flowers were to be there on the right day. How, at a time like that, do you even bring up that the florist screwed up? You accept that it happened, know that your presence via the flowers wasn't there at the service, in addition to you not being able to travel there either, and you just move on, sad, sad, sad, and knowing that you'll never deal with ProFlowers.com ever again.

Sometimes it's a woman who orders flowers and gets screwed over. Not sure either one of us knows how to prevent it from happening again, except just to try a different service next time...

So sorry things got messed up for you, and I sure do empathize...
    "I ain't in on the alternative." ~~ Buck Showalter, 8/6/10, on whether he expects a winning result every night.

square634 is offline Plus Member since 9/06 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by Spoonless View Post
    I've had great luck with both FTD and 1800FLOWERS. Never had a bouquet that varied much from the photos on the site.
    I'll try them in the future. From You Flowers was cheaper and had something that was closer to what I was looking for. Or it was advertised anyway. At least the flowers were delivered to the correct address on the correct date, so I should thank my lucky stars (I did order about a week in advance to give myself the best chance).

MikeAD is offline Plus Member Since 07/06 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Flying home for Opening Day/Mothers Birthday/Easter.

Dumbass that I am, thought I could make a 5 AM Flight. WRONG

SIGH

CrimsonTribe is offline Plus Member Since 08/06 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Preaching to the choir. It has been decided that we are waiting five years to even discuss having kids. That wasn't even my idea.

Sometimes... just sometimes... I wish a baseball season could be 3 games long....