Thread: Short rants.

Agreed about Grease.

You read Outsiders in grade school? That was 8th grade in my system.

crissfan172 is offline Plus Member since 12/10 All-Star Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by twoBshorty View Post
    You want to talk about stuff popular with kids and pre-teens that shouldn't be, how about Grease? My parents wouldn't let me watch it when I was 10, even though I begged. I finally saw it a couple of years ago and totally agreed in retrospect with their decision. What an appalling message!
    I'm pretty sure my mom actually tried to get me to watch Grease. I guess not liking musicals has its advantages.....on top of not having to watch musicals of course.

twoBshorty is offline Plus Member Since 12/05 Major League Starter Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    I took the Praxis today. I hadn't taken a paper-and-pencil standardized test since 11th grade, and I forgot what a pain in the butt it is. Highlights:

-We got seated late because one guy in the administration session before us (there was a 7:30 and a 10:45) had his paper taken away because he didn't put his pencil down immediately when time was called and proceeded to throw a 20-minute screaming tantrum about it.
    -I had to show my driver's license FIVE separate times. Passing through Immigration at the Beijing airport was faster. Seriously.
    -You can't leave when you're done. You have to wait until every last second on the clock has expired. I sat there for an hour staring at the wall. I guess the SAT was like this, but the GRE sure wasn't.

On a more amusing note, they had one of those certification statements that you have to copy and sign to swear that you didn't cheat. The instructions stated that you couldn't print it. The almost uniform looks of horror that passed across everyone's faces (including mine) as we realized we had to write in cursive (*gasp*) were pretty funny. It took me several minutes to copy two lines of text, thinking about how to form each letter, and I was one of the quicker ones. This is what happens in a room full of people who were taught cursive in 2nd grade, about 20 years ago, and haven't used it since except to sign their names.

Spoonless is offline Plus Member since 2006 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    This morning involved a surprise thumb vs. screen door confrontation.

CrimsonTribe is offline Plus Member Since 08/06 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    I took the Praxis today. I hadn't taken a paper-and-pencil standardized test since 11th grade, and I forgot what a pain in the butt it is. Highlights:

-We got seated late because one guy in the administration session before us (there was a 7:30 and a 10:45) had his paper taken away because he didn't put his pencil down immediately when time was called and proceeded to throw a 20-minute screaming tantrum about it.
    -I had to show my driver's license FIVE separate times. Passing through Immigration at the Beijing airport was faster. Seriously.
    -You can't leave when you're done. You have to wait until every last second on the clock has expired. I sat there for an hour staring at the wall. I guess the SAT was like this, but the GRE sure wasn't.

On a more amusing note, they had one of those certification statements that you have to copy and sign to swear that you didn't cheat. The instructions stated that you couldn't print it. The almost uniform looks of horror that passed across everyone's faces (including mine) as we realized we had to write in cursive (*gasp*) were pretty funny. It took me several minutes to copy two lines of text, thinking about how to form each letter, and I was one of the quicker ones. This is what happens in a room full of people who were taught cursive in 2nd grade, about 20 years ago, and haven't used it since except to sign their names.
    In Alabama if you are a notary, you have to sign your name exactly as it appears on your voter registration. My name was on the records as FIRST MIDDLE INITIAL LAST. I literally went and changed my name to remove my middle initial so that I won't have to make a cursive "G" when signing as a notary. I just can't figure out how to do it efficiently.

Spoonless is offline Plus Member since 2006 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonTribe View Post
    In Alabama if you are a notary, you have to sign your name exactly as it appears on your voter registration. My name was on the records as FIRST MIDDLE INITIAL LAST. I literally went and changed my name to remove my middle initial so that I won't have to make a cursive "G" when signing as a notary. I just can't figure out how to do it efficiently.
    Mine always looks like a cursive 'S'. My signature now contains a printed 'G'.

Every single thing on earth has become hyper competitive. Even leisure activities have become hyper competitive.

I need to move out of NOVA/DC suburbs in the worst way.

eb45 is offline Aberdeen Reporter All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by Spoonless View Post
    I could never remember the right way to make a cursive capital 'D' for a while, then when I did it would always look kinda goofy. Then I decided I'd just start my name with a printed 'D' and it looks a lot better.

PaulFolk is offline Senior Moderator Hangout Staff Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by eb45 View Post
    I could never remember the right way to make a cursive capital 'D' for a while, then when I did it would always look kinda goofy. Then I decided I'd just start my name with a printed 'D' and it looks a lot better.
    I still can't remember how to make a cursive capital F. When I sign my name, the F is always printed, but everything else is in cursive.

twoBshorty is offline Plus Member Since 12/05 Major League Starter Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonTribe View Post
    LMAO my middle initial is also G and I don't know how to do it. It always looks like some sort of deranged D.

crissfan172 is offline Plus Member since 12/10 All-Star Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by Spoonless View Post
    My last name always has a nicely formed cursive G, a lot of random gibberish, and then a perfect cursive y to end it. I mean...does anybody really care what comes between those letters?

CrimsonTribe is offline Plus Member Since 08/06 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    LMAO my middle initial is also G and I don't know how to do it. It always looks like some sort of deranged D.
    I say you take my approach and avoid it entirely. Of course, that's until you have to go sign your marriage license and they make you sign your whole name and you have no idea what to do so it looks like a 4th grader signed your middle name. Can't wait to look back at that one in 30 years.

You can't fix stupid.

RHall31 is offline Plus Member Since July 2009 Major League Starter Reputation Reputation Reputation
    I can't stand the way sports talk uses "sexy" as a descriptive term. Sexy pick, sexy game....rubbish!

Oriology is offline Plus Member since 07/11 Major Leagues Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Top 3 ads at local "pharmacy":

"We sell beer"
    "Cigarettes sold at state minimum"
    "Coca Cola 12 pks- 3/$10"

I believe they refer to that as the Jack Donaghy Vertical Integration Special.