Thread: The Wire

Quote Originally Posted by rolliefingers View Post
    I think you just answered your own question. The lack of neatly tied-up endings is one reason the show is so great.
    True, but it'd be nice to feel like they accomplished something you know?

Does The Greek make another appearance in later seasons, or is he gone?

rolliefingers is offline Senior Hangouter - Plus Member Since 12/04 Reputation
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bgfield View Post
    Does The Greek make another appearance in later seasons, or is he gone?
    Not telling.

Also, http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...011802874.html

Man, David Simon didn't waste the bully pulpit when he finally got it, did he?

Lester Freamon is offline Plus Member Since 2/08 Major League Starter Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by bgfield View Post
    Just finished it, I had a slow day yesterday

It definitely picked up but so far I've found in both season's one and two the show takes awhile to get started, then after it does it gets pretty good. I actually found myself caring about the dock boys by the end, especially for Frank who was really just a hardworking guy struggling to keep up with the change in the country's economy (less exports, less work). Omar's probably my favorite character among the gangsters, can't wait to see him go after Stringer.

One thing that does bother me a bit though is that they never seem to solve the big case. It may be more realistic this way, but in season 1, Avon got off pretty light, Stringer didn't get busted at all, and the crew is still operating. In season two, The Greek gets away. And speaking of The Greek, why is it significant that the FBI agent that was thought to be working in San Diego was actually moved to counter-terrorism? How does that explain why he's helping out The Greek?

I've got season three downloading right now and should have it finished pretty shortly, I'm really looking forward to it.
    It's funny because the guys in the detail, and us viewers because we identify with them, always feel as though they have failed because they haven't brought the case in as big as they could have. However, the higher-ups view Daniels and his detail as a MAJOR success.

Yes, Vondas and The Greek (who claims he's not really Greek ) get away. The FBI agent Koutros (? - something like that) was protecting the Greek because he believed him to be a major asset of his in the war on terror. The FBI agent wasn't really dirty (not that you are saying he is) but he really believes that the Greek needs to be protected because of the information he can provide (don't know if you watched the Sopranos but it is similar to the way Agent Harris started to protect Tony - feed him information - to protect him as an asset in the W on T). I don't think the FBI agent really has any clue as to how much of a criminal The Greek really is. Once McNulty's FBI buddy, Fitz, realizes that Koutros was not actually in San Diego but moved to DC and counter terrorisim, he puts 2 and 2 together and figures that the Greek was tipped off to protect him as an asset, lets Daniels know, and now he owes Daniels.

See the Greeks again, maybe, maybe not... not really sure.... can't remember... (in keeping with Fingers' spirit)

IMHO, the fact that the seasons start off so slow make them all that much better in the end. When you go back and re-watch, or just think about the details that were brought forth in the early episodes you gaine a greater appreciation for them.

Lester Freamon is offline Plus Member Since 2/08 Major League Starter Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    There has been a little bit of Episode 3 talk from On Demand viewers mixed into this thread prior to the HBO airing last night.

For anyone who has seen it, I'm curious to know where you stand now?

For those that were really worried about what had transpired in Episodes 1 and 2, do you feel a little better now? do you feel worse?

Me personally, I am good to go (big surprise, I know ). I feel as though Jimmy's actions are exciting and within character - same with Lester. But really other than the serial killer stuff there is tons of other great story lines.

Omar's face at the end of the episode was heartbreaking. Not just because of Butchie but also because he knows he's got to go back and finish this buisiness.

Great, great stuff IMO.
    Last edited by Lester Freamon; 01-21-2008 at 09:12 PM.

Mashed Potatoes is offline Plus Member Since 04/06 Major League Starter Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by Lester Freamon View Post
    For those that were really worried about what had transpired in Episodes 1 and 2, do you feel a little better now? do you feel worse?
    I feel worse, as if my greatest fears have been realized. Lester joining McNutty's scheme is a joke. While he has pressed his superiors before, and goes drinking with the boys, everything in past episodes paints Lester as a character whose got it all figured out. Especially in regards to balancing his personal life with his professional life (unlike McNutty). Now he's taking an immoral scheme concocted by a drunk whore and pushing it even further.

Simon decided the way to tie the news into police/drugs/politics/schools/unions was sensationalism, and he's willing to simplify and sensationalize his characters to do it. I understand the rationale behind it, Lester just needs two weeks to finish his case, but just because a rationale is logical doesn't mean I have to accept it, doesn't mean it's not an utter betrayal of everything the show has earned. I feel like their integrity has been stolen and am starting to wish the news was never brought in at all. I'm legitimately angry right now.

Anywho at least the drug stuff is always exciting. Only the power of Omar could bring down Stringer Bell, and it seems only the power of Omar can combat Marlow. I hope and predict that the co-op or at least some parties involved will side with Omar in order to dispose of the power hungry Marlow, whose cold ambition can throw everything out of whack.

P.S. I was visiting my gf this weekend and attempted to get her started on season 1. To jump start the process I watched a couple of episodes with her, right before the new one, you can't tell me that the acting wasn't markedly better than it is now.
    Last edited by Mashed Potatoes; 01-21-2008 at 04:59 PM.

Gurgi is offline Plus Member Since 6/05 All-Star Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Finally some drama in episode 4. Someone ends up pushing up daisies.

Quote Originally Posted by Mashed Potatoes View Post
    I feel worse, as if my greatest fears have been realized. Lester joining McNutty's scheme is a joke. While he has pressed his superiors before, and goes drinking with the boys, everything in past episodes paints Lester as a character whose got it all figured out. Especially in regards to balancing his personal life with his professional life (unlike McNutty). Now he's taking an immoral scheme concocted by a drunk whore and pushing it even further.

Simon decided the way to tie the news into police/drugs/politics/schools/unions was sensationalism, and he's willing to simplify and sensationalize his characters to do it. I understand the rationale behind it, Lester just needs two weeks to finish his case, but just because a rationale is logical doesn't mean I have to accept it, doesn't mean it's not an utter betrayal of everything the show has earned. I feel like their integrity has been stolen and am starting to wish the news was never brought in at all. I'm legitimately angry right now.

Anywho at least the drug stuff is always exciting. Only the power of Omar could bring down Stringer Bell, and it seems only the power of Omar can combat Marlow. I hope and predict that the co-op or at least some parties involved will side with Omar in order to dispose of the power hungry Marlow, whose cold ambition can throw everything out of whack.

P.S. I was visiting my gf this weekend and attempted to get her started on season 1. To jump start the process I watched a couple of episodes with her, right before the new one, you can't tell me that the acting wasn't markedly better than it is now.
    I hear you. It is certainly debatable whether or not Jimmy and Lester characters would ever engage in what they are taking part in. I just happen to see it differently.

I am totally buying what Jimmy, and now Lester, are trying to do. Although it is probably easier to swallow from Jimmy. But, IMHO, Lester and Jimmy are just so damn arrogant and they really believe they are soooooo much smarter than everyone else that they can pull this off.

Lester has been chasing Marlo since season 3 and he has been "a couple of weeks away" from nabbing Marlo in the past as well only to have the Department swipe the rug out from under him for various reasons. Lester is as obsesed with Marlo as Jimmy was with Stringer, I mean and all night stake-out on his own time?

Also, as we've hear Lester talk about in the bar with Jimmy, and Bunk earlier this season. Lester is very pissed off about the department and the general public's lack of interest when the people who are murdered "don't matter".

Lester is near the end of his career, similar to Bunny Colvin. He is a widower whose kids are all grown up. Last season with the supeanas, he really could have cared less that he was jeopardizing Rhonda's career, and possibly his own by going forward with that stuff.

Lester, and Jimmy, ARE true murder police and they WANT to solve murders. Marlo's murders to be specific, which the department doesn't seem to care about anymore. Jimmy has concocted a crazy plan, set it in motion, and it wasn't working. Like Landsman told Jimmy, and Lester later echoed, "nobody cares". Lester knows how to take Jimmy's idea, make it work, and get the money necessary to take down Marlo.

Not only do I believe it, but I am totally behind them now. Immoral plan, yes, but Marlo is a true "serial killer" (well, not technically so, but he's probably worse) and no body gives a crap. Now, once the newsroom really gets a hold of the story we can see if McNulty's and Templeton's fairly parallel story lines mesh.

Funny thing is, those two or three weeks that Lester thinks he needs to bring in Marlo Stanfield, is, unbeknownst to him, completely out the window now that Omar back. As Chris stated, Marlo will be changing up his pattern now.

As far as the acting goes, you, and others here, feel very strongly about a decline. Even though I personally can't really pinpoint what you are seeing, I totally take your word for it.

To me though, the acting from the vast majority of the characters, especially the ones that matter the most, is just as good as ever. Marlo at the bank in the French Antilles, the pain on Omar's face when he learns of Butchie's death and the realization that he has to go back to Baltimore and risk it all again. McNulty's line -"We have to kill again" is beautiful black comedy and read perfectly. The way Bunk has been disgusted with Jimmy and now Lester too. Prop Joe. Bubbles....

I feel really bad for you cause it's obvious what a big fan you are. I hope the show is somehow able to redeem itself in your eyes.

elextrano8 is offline Plus Member Since 12/03 Major League Starter Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by gurgi View Post
    Finally some drama in episode 4. Someone ends up pushing up daisies.
    ::cries::

I'll miss 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by elextrano8 View Post
    ::cries::

I'll miss 'em.
    I can't wait until Sunday so we can talk openly about this episode.

BustaJ2632 is offline Plus Member Since 07/04 - Major League Hangouter Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by Mackus View Post
    I can't wait until Sunday so we can talk openly about this episode.
    Can we start an OnDemand thread? I don't know if I can wait til Sunday.

Jul 2004
    I hope I'm not blowing anyone's spot by saying....

....that we all saw this one coming, but I personally didn't think it'd happen so soon. (Certain people) do not mess around.

frankpembleton is offline Plus Member Since 7/06 Major League Starter Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Now THAT is 'The Wire' we all know and love!

Awesome. Just awesome.

Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by frankpembleton View Post
    Now THAT is 'The Wire' we all know and love!

Awesome. Just awesome.
    First good Wire episode. First episode in which I play a homeless guy. Coincidence? You decide.

frankpembleton is offline Plus Member Since 7/06 Major League Starter Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by rolliefingers View Post
    First good Wire episode. First episode in which I play a homeless guy. Coincidence? You decide.
    HA! Nice work! I'm seriously so jealous you got that extra part.

I'll hold off from discussing the episode unitl the Sunday airing, but the episode really brought me back in...

That was one of those episodes that just left me staring at the screen in silence throughout the closing credits.

Awesome.

Did anyone else recognize any old faces in that episode?