Heels Thread

O'sHeelsFan

Alright, I have to get a Carolina thread going to rival the UVA one started by YardBirds. I only have a couple of posts, but I have lurked on the site for a while, and I know there are some Heels fans out there.

I gotta say, the only thing that really scares me about this team is the inconsistency of the outside shooting. Even Ellington is streaky - at least from three. It is clear he has improved his overall game, but I would like for him to hit the three more consistently. Also, I know we won a few games w/o Lawson, but boy what a different team when he is not out there.

Really impressed by Deon Thompson, and the continued maturation of the 'G' men, especially Danny Green. Should be another great season, and another deep run in March. The schedule has been pretty tough - not many ranked teams, but definitely some tough road games at big conference schools (OSU, Kentucky) and/or in tiny gyms like the Palestra most big time programs (cough, Duke, cough) won't go near. Should have the guys really seasoned, especially considering it is somewhat of a veteran team anyway.

Also, and this is the part I hate to write: Does anyone else think, that by the time Duke and Carolina play for the first time, that might be a 1v2 matchup? I don't see Carolina falling b/w now and then, but Duke really could rise up if they keep winning the way they have been. They are scary at times, but I don't think they can handle Hansborough and company inside.

Thoughts?

I saw North Carolina in person for the first time at the Palestra, and they were extremely impressive. Hansborough and Green were monsters, we had no answer for them (yes, I know we are only an Ivy League team but still). North Carolina was a lot more impressive than UVA, IMO and they certainly deserve their number 1 ranking.

Alright' date=' I have to get a Carolina thread going to rival the UVA one started by YardBirds. I only have a couple of posts, but I have lurked on the site for a while, and I know there are some Heels fans out there.

I gotta say, the only thing that really scares me about this team is the inconsistency of the outside shooting. Even Ellington is streaky - at least from three. It is clear he has improved his overall game, but I would like for him to hit the three more consistently. Also, I know we won a few games w/o Lawson, but boy what a different team when he is not out there.

Really impressed by Deon Thompson, and the continued maturation of the 'G' men, especially Danny Green. Should be another great season, and another deep run in March. The schedule has been pretty tough - not many ranked teams, but definitely some tough road games at big conference schools (OSU, Kentucky) and/or in tiny gyms like the Palestra most big time programs (cough, Duke, cough) won't go near. Should have the guys really seasoned, especially considering it is somewhat of a veteran team anyway.

Also, and this is the part I hate to write: Does anyone else think, that by the time Duke and Carolina play for the first time, that might be a 1v2 matchup? I don't see Carolina falling b/w now and then, but Duke really could rise up if they keep winning the way they have been. They are scary at times, but I don't think they can handle Hansborough and company inside.

Thoughts?[/quote']

First let me say, I LOVE YOU!!!

I am really happy with the way the guys have played so far. Having Thompson develop like he has is certainly been a big boost. Ellington gains more confidence in his shot nightly, and Lawson and Psycho T are as consistent as it gets in College Hoops.

Danny Green has been terrific off the bench, as has Ginyard and Frasor stepped up in the games where Tywon was hurt.

As for the road games, great wins at Ohio State, Kentucky, and Penn (in their home gyms, imagine that Rob). With a game at Rutgers coming up. Duke plays no road games before January as we all know, so I'm not ready to crown them just yet. Neutral sites don't count nor does a game "at" Davidson (in Charlotte), nice try "Coach" K.

I do think Duke is much improved, and will battle with Clemson for second in the ACC. I'd be shocked if they were 1-2 by the time we play each other. Only because Memphis plays nobodies nightly in their conference while Carolina and Duke are playing in the ACC.

I saw North Carolina in person for the first time at the Palestra, and they were extremely impressive. Hansborough and Green were monsters, we had no answer for them (yes, I know we are only an Ivy League team but still). North Carolina was a lot more impressive than UVA, IMO and they certainly deserve their number 1 ranking.

Really? Carolina more impressive than UVA? I don't believe it! ;)

I was talking to my brother about this today. He is a big Heels fan, and was worrying about Lawson staying healthy, and Ellington's streakiness, and I just stopped and thought, this is your worries?? Really? You are worried about definitely the best backcourt duo in the conference, and maybe the country?

Oh to have the problems of a Carolina fan.

Still a little bitter after the close loss to Syracuse last week guys, sorry for the tone. Pretty obvious you guys are still a pretty good team without Lawson, seeing as Frasor could start for most teams in the country. Us without Singletary at 100 percent we are a totally different team.

I am really happy with the way the guys have played so far. Having Thompson develop like he has is certainly been a big boost. Ellington gains more confidence in his shot nightly, and Lawson and Psycho T are as consistent as it gets in College Hoops.

Danny Green has been terrific off the bench, as has Ginyard and Frasor stepped up in the games where Tywon was hurt.

As for the road games, great wins at Ohio State, Kentucky, and Penn (in their home gyms, imagine that Rob). With a game at Rutgers coming up. Duke plays no road games before January as we all know, so I'm not ready to crown them just yet. Neutral sites don't count nor does a game "at" Davidson (in Charlotte), nice try "Coach" K.

I do think Duke is much improved, and will battle with Clemson for second in the ACC. I'd be shocked if they were 1-2 by the time we play each other. Only because Memphis plays nobodies nightly in their conference while Carolina and Duke are playing in the ACC.

The neutral court wins by Duke are much more impressive than what UNC has done on the road.

And, btw, its not Duke's fault that teams want them in larger arenas for a bigger gate.

The neutral court wins by Duke are much more impressive than what UNC has done on the road.

And, btw, its not Duke's fault that teams want them in larger arenas for a bigger gate.

Why, because they were against better teams? I'd just like to see Duke go into another gym ONCE. That's not too much to ask, is it? Just once. Come on.

They have....

I mean in a team's gym, not Illinois in the United Center, or Temple/Villanova at whatever the Sixers place is called now. The Heels will have four this month after going to the RAC to play Rutgers this Sunday...I'm betting Duke doesn't have 4 this decade.

I do recall them going to Michigan at some point, but I honestly can't think of any others.

I mean in a team's gym, not Illinois in the United Center, or Temple/Villanova at whatever the Sixers place is called now. The Heels will have four this month after going to the RAC to play Rutgers this Sunday...I'm betting Duke doesn't have 4 this decade.

I do recall them going to Michigan at some point, but I honestly can't think of any others.

They definitely played at Mich St.

BTW, kudos to the Heels for playing at Rutgers...Talk about a tough game! :rolleyes:

They definitely played at Mich St.

BTW, kudos to the Heels for playing at Rutgers...Talk about a tough game! :rolleyes:

They played Michigan State at the Palace, not the Breslin Center..

As for Rutgers, that's not the point who and where it is. The Fact that it's a real road game is what I'm discussing here. Ohio State and Kentucky are down this year, but we still went into their arenas and played.

As you do know, Carolina tries to schedule a game in a players' hometown at some point in their careers. That explains Rutgers (Green), Penn (Ellington), and St Louis (Hansbrough)last season.

They played Michigan State at the Palace, not the Breslin Center..

As for Rutgers, that's not the point who and where it is. The Fact that it's a real road game is what I'm discussing here. Ohio State and Kentucky are down this year, but we still went into their arenas and played.

As you do know, Carolina tries to schedule a game in a players' hometown at some point in their careers. That explains Rutgers (Green), Penn (Ellington), and St Louis (Hansbrough)last season.

http://media.www.dailyvidette.com/media/storage/paper420/news/2003/12/03/Sports/Duke-Ready.To.Play.Msu-570124.shtml

Very wrong...BTW, i believe they won this game by more than 20 as well.

They also played at Indiana a few years ago.

Ever year they are in a preseason tourney which is obvious on a neutral court and they play a big time team in MSG, like they will Pitt this year.

They usually also play Temple, Michigan(they have play in Michigan as well) and St Johns as well....They are not always played on the home courts of those teams but do you really think K is afraid to go into those arenas? I remember hearing a stat a year or 2 ago that only MD had a better home winning % than Duke had a road winning % in the conference...Going on the road is not some big deal to Duke.

They are probably the #1 draw in the sport and teams like to take advantage of that..Besides, MSG is like a second home for St Johns.

You are right about Ellington's confidence, as I noted he certainly is more confident about putting the ball on the floor and creating his own shot.

And good point about Memphis - a lot of teams would have to lose for Duke to climb up. But the main point is the same - Duke v. Carolina might be as good a game this year as it has been for several years.

As far as Duke and the road games - I'm not as hung up on this as Beaner clearly is, but I do think Duke should establish a home and home with a big conference team the way that Kentucky and Carolina have done. I know they have ongoing sets w/ St. Johns and other schools who prefer to move the games to MSG or other arenas, but how about picking a school with a large on campus arena? How about Duke/UConn every year? Or at least maybe continue the Duke/Gtown thing - I know that is MCI Center, but GTown plays most if not all of their home games their anyway. Or is GTown too scary for Duke, since they beat 'em once already :D

One more thought, or question for SG - I am hearing a lot of talk that K is running a more agressive style of offense and overall game thanks to his new relationship with Mike Dantoni on the US National Team. Do you agree with this, or do you think it has more to do w/ the athleticism of his current roster?