Quote Originally Posted by Aberdeener View Post
    What's the lowdown on Cedeno? This may be covered in previous threads, but it should be covered here as well as most attention will zero in on this thread. Looking at his stats, he had an ugly .724 OPS in the MINORS and someone here said he is a high-error fielder. So, what's to like??
    Cedeno has had 2 good years in AAA, but hasn't broken out in the majors...yet. He'll most likely be a 2B in the future and has the potential to be a .300+ 10+ HR 15SB guy.

I'm not a huge fan of Ronny C but he's got some potential. His last two years in AAA he posted an OPS of around .920 and that was around 500 ab's I believe.

davearm is offline Board National League Analyst Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by vab View Post
    Gallagher's got that workhorse look to him. Ponson type stuff but, hopefully, with a head on his shoulders. The combination of playing every day and Crowley's tutelage should have a good effect on Cedeno offensively, don't know about his glove, though. Shifting him to 2nd with Hernandez at short might be the way things shake out with Trembley's emphasis on defense. Marshall showed good improvement between his first and second year. Hate to see Roberts go but it's time to get young and truly start rebuilding this thing.
    Actually the Crowley Effect is something I'd be pretty concerned about as an O's fan.

What Cedeno seems to need is to have a hitting coach that'll be in his ear preaching plate discipline and being selective and so forth, and not being a free swinger that's hacking away even as he walks in from the on-deck circle.

Cedeno's biggest problem in '06 was that he'd either get himself out by putting crap pitches weakly into play early in the count, or by getting behind in the count swinging and missing at said crap pitches. As much as anything else, that's the habit that he has to stay out of, and under the Cubs' new coaching regime, he seemed to be making progress.

My fear would be that Crowley's philosophy and tutelage would be too similar to what Cedeno had with Gene Clines in '06.

eb45 is offline Aberdeen Reporter All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Not all that high on Cedeno, but Marshall and Gallagher I really like. Marshall had a solid (3.92 ERA) year last year in a hitter's park, and has a 2.82 career MiLB ERA. Gallagher has a 2.75 career MiLB ERA. Roberts' strength is his gap power, which could be diminished with a move to Wrigley and the NL Central, which includes the GABP, Minute Maid, and Citizen's Bank, all of which have smaller dimensions than the Yard. I wouldn't count on him to improve much.

wildcard is offline Plus Member since 11/03 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by Aberdeener View Post
    What's the lowdown on Cedeno? This may be covered in previous threads, but it should be covered here as well as most attention will zero in on this thread. Looking at his stats, he had an ugly .724 OPS in the MINORS and someone here said he is a high-error fielder. So, what's to like??
    Here is a pretty good way to think about Cedeno.

Lou Piniella is a pretty good evaluator of talent. His resume includes a World Series with the Reds, a 116 win season with the Mariners, and last year he took a team that won 66 games in 2006 and won 85 games and a division title. I would put Lou in the same class as Leyland which is pretty close to Earl Weaver in Baltimore terms, at least at this stage of Lou's career.

Lou had Cedeno last year and instead of using him he spent him to AAA and put Ryam Theriot as SS. Theriot is not a high ceiling guy. He is considered a utility player by many. If Lou not only does not think Cedeno is as good as Theriot at SS but also believed that Cedeno, who spent all of 2006 with the Cubs, does not even belong on the team. Well, that says a whole lot.

Second point of reference, in 2006 Cedeno started the year as the starting SS for the Cubs under Dusty Baker. However, Baker replaced him with Cesar Izturis. This the same Izturis that played for the Pirates last year and was not given a contract this winter. He was not traded. He apparently had not trade value. That shows you what Baker thought of Cedeno. Baker is an established manager league manager, who has four 90 wins seasons under his belt as well as a NL Pennant with the Giants.

Now the O's get Cedeno. They think they talent evaluation is better then Piniella and Baker. Enough said.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyK27 View Post
    Triunfel is with Jones in the Latest rumors

http://www.prospectinsider.com/
    That article was from 2 days ago.

I have heard since then from an insider post that he is not in the deal.
    If he is, in fact, already in the deal then great.

I think Gallagher is a very good #1 piece in a Roberts trade and that Cedeno is a very good #3 piece. I think Marshall is a bit less than we could/should have gotten as a #2 piece, but overall it is still a very fair deal. Without knowing what other offers/teams were out there for Roberts, this trade is worth making.

I think getting Marshall and Gallagher, two more guys who should be able to start in 2008, really opens up the possibility of trading Cabrera or Guthrie. If teams really are offering a top notch hitting prospect for Cabrera, I think you have to make that move.

Sports Guy is offline Plus Member Since 3/04 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by bandy75 View Post
    That article was from 2 days ago.

I have heard since then from an insider post that he is not in the deal.
    If he is, in fact, already in the deal then great.
    I would like to get Triunfel but if the deal is Jones, Triunfel and Sherrill, i don't like the trade.

I just want everyone to know that I have been at work all morning and then I go on lunch and I come across this.....How am I going to get work done now that I know something like this has happened? LOL (Work in the military=working like your on crack.)

Those looking for a Chicago confirmation, the Chicago Tribune's sports website www.chicagosports.com has the Roberts trade as it's main headline. However, the article doesn't say a deal is done but that it will happen eventually and speculates how much it will cost.

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotr...ng-like-a.html

On hold over much of the last month, the Brian Roberts talks are on again between the Cubs and Baltimore Orioles. This deal is almost certainly going to happen -- the only question is when and how much is it going to cost the Cubs.

The feeling among major league executives is soon, and a lot. Don't be surprised if the trade is finalized later this week -- perhaps even Wednesday -- and the deal includes pitchers Sean Marshall, Sean Gallagher and Ronny Cedeno.

Lester Freamon is offline Plus Member Since 2/08 Major League Starter Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Well, I'll have to go into my profile and change my favorite O's player, but it's quite allright. As has been pointed out by many, we have some very good, young pitching depth - legitimate young talent, even if they are not all proven yet. I'm excited though.

Now hopefully the Bedard trade goes down and we'll really have a better idea of what we are working with going into this season.

Way to go O's!

Quote Originally Posted by Sports Guy View Post
    I would like to get Triunfel but if the deal is Jones, Triunfel and Sherrill, i don't like the trade.
    I'm thinking Jones, Clement, and Triunfel would be a little too much for Seattle. Which is why I would throw in one of our pitching prospects. Maybe Bedard +? for Jones, Clement, Triunfel, and Chen?

NCRaven is offline Plus Member since 11/05 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandwich Pick View Post
    Let's hope he gets moved. Period. We're going to need to pick up a new "face" of the franchise and Jones would be an excellent candidate- esp. considering Baltimore's demographics.
    Might be one of the silliest things I've read lately. Have you been to Camden Yards lately? Fans will like the likeable players, regardless of the "demographic." I loved Frank and Brooks Robinson. Frank was the greatest player to ever wear an Orioles uniform. Brooks may have been the nicest person to ever wear it, and a great player, as well.

Fan4Life is offline Plus Member Since 06/06 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by wildcard View Post
    If the trade report is accurate:

I think the Cubs got the better of this trade.

Brian will play at a level that I do not expect any of the three players the O's recieved will ever reach. He is one of the best 2nd baseman and leadoff hitters in the game. I don't expect that will ever be said about any of these three at their positions.

I don't believe from the scouting reports that any of these players have a high ceiling. When the Cubs pulled Pie from the deal and still made it happen, they won.

I do not expect Cedeno to be the long term answer to anything for the O's other the utility IF. He is a high error infielder with major flaws in his offense from the reports I have read that include the last two seasons.

Man you sure have a way of articulating my thoughts that almost makes me redundant around here. Good job, and I obviously agree. lol

Fan4Life is offline Plus Member Since 06/06 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by davearm View Post
    Actually the Crowley Effect is something I'd be pretty concerned about as an O's fan.

What Cedeno seems to need is to have a hitting coach that'll be in his ear preaching plate discipline and being selective and so forth, and not being a free swinger that's hacking away even as he walks in from the on-deck circle.

Cedeno's biggest problem in '06 was that he'd either get himself out by putting crap pitches weakly into play early in the count, or by getting behind in the count swinging and missing at said crap pitches. As much as anything else, that's the habit that he has to stay out of, and under the Cubs' new coaching regime, he seemed to be making progress.

My fear would be that Crowley's philosophy and tutelage would be too similar to what Cedeno had with Gene Clines in '06.
    Can we difinitively conclude that the lack of Oriole plate discipline in the past is due to a poor hitting coach? Markakis seem to speak highly of Crowley.. where does the truth lie?