Roberts Trade News Thread

McLovin

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As reported on our front page by Tony. Credit also goes to JoeyR5 for breaking the story.

http://www.orioleshangout.com/article.asp?ID=1297

There are a lot of opinions on this trade all over the place so let's use this thread to discuss the merits of the trades. It's ok to cut and paste your posts from another thread if had put a lot of work into something.

What are your thoughts on the players coming back? Did AM get enough? Did he get the right players? Why no Murton or Pie?

Not a trade analysis but did anyone notice the Sun changed the title of the MacPhail article??? Earlier it was titled "MacPhail: Trade talks not heating up"....Now it says "Door not closed on free agents".

Just found it interesting. I wondered if the deal went down what AM's response would be.

There are a lot of opinions on this trade all over the place so let's use this thread to discuss the merits of the trades. It's ok to cut and paste your posts from another thread if had put a lot of work into something.

What are your thoughts on the players coming back? Did AM get enough? Did he get the right players? Why no Murton or Pie?

I. Love. This. Trade.

We get a potential #2-#3 starter that can start for us this year.

A #5 starter that can start for us this year.

And a SS that has the ability to put a .800 OPS out there.

That is quite a haul for a 2B who will not be in his prime the time that we rebuild.

I will Miss Brob to be sure, but Kudos to MacPhail. I really think this is the start of a crazy couple of weeks for trades here in "Birdland". :)

And to answer your question T, No murton because of Luke Scott and Hopefully Clement who can be 1b/DH that Murton would have helped with and no Pie because of Adam Jones. Just my thought on the matter.

I like Cedeno more than many here. He has posted an OPS > 900 over his last 500 ABs in AAA. He still has struggled at the ML level, but he's still young. I'm excited to see what he can do here.

Gallagher seems to have a nice upside, and I like his K-rates. Marshall seems solid too, although his K-rates have dropped off the last 2 seasons or so.

I think Pie was never on the table, or else we would have jumped all over it. I like Murton, but I think this team has more need for Cedeno than him. I think leaving him out of the deal probably opened the door for acquiring both Marshall and Gallagher.

Overall, I like this deal.

I feel the same way about this trade as I did the Tejada deal....As of right now, I don't like the trade....If it leads to other things, great.

But i think it is strange that we got more value for Miggy than we did BRob even Gallagher is probably has the highest ceiling of any player we got back.

I would have preferred Murton, EPat and Gallagher.

I like Cedeno more than many here. He has posted an OPS > 900 over his last 500 ABs in AAA. He still has struggled at the ML level, but he's still young. I'm excited to see what he can do here.

Overall, I like this deal.

Not to mention Cedeno will be a much better bat for us than Luis Hernandez!

I think Murton wasn't added because A.F. must feel the corner OF spots and DH are filled or because of the potential Bedard take-in. Pie to me was a classic stand off and Hendry wouldn't budge so they compromised on the talent. Gallagher is obviously the centerpiece in the O's return here, he has very good stuff especially his hook. I honestly think he is a #3 at the very least, he has a good stocky build so he should be durable and a horse if he continues to develope. I really think we gave up on Cedeno too early. Every level he went through he got there early and has shown crazy talent he just hasn't put it together at the bigs yet. I think he ends up being a solid regular especially with his glove. Marshall doesn't K much, but for a kid who never pitched in AAA to have an ERA under 4 pitching at Wrigley is impressive. In the AL I consider him a very productive #5 which all teams need. His only problem is endurance he tends to wear down at the end of the year.

Even though my preference all along was to keep EB & BRob, I am OK with this. I doubt we could have gotten Pie short of having EB included, a 2 for 6-7 type deal. The part I like the most is how much pitching we have, and maybe some of it will turn into some young positional talent sometime down the road.

Archived