Baltimore Orioles recent draft results

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd forgotten about the "Great Middle Infielder Selection Show" of 2006. Rowell, Adams, Blake Davis, Bobby Henson, Jedidiah Stephen all drafted as middle infielders in the first 10 rounds, although we knew Rowell wouldn't stay there. Yet here it is a few years later and we bemoan the lack of middle infield prospects.

What is the deal with Bobby Henson? According to that site he's got a respectable OPS for a 20 year old at Delmarva, but he doesn't show up when I do a search on MiLB.com.

EDIT -- Just realized that Bobby Henson is actually Tyler Henson. You REALLY think I would've figured that out the first time.

Jordan started drafting for us in '05, right?

His '05 was a monster draft, netting us current very good prospects Snyder, Olson, Reimold, Erbe, Spoone and Hernandez. That's a lot of talent (especially pitching) for one draft.

'06 appears to be a little further behind, with only Rowell as a very good prospect. A few other guys that are now probably considered sleepers and then a bunch of nothing.

'07 obviously was huge with Wieters and Arrieta destroying their competition this year. Anybody else becoming a decent prospect out of that draft would just be gravy.

Jordan started drafting for us in '05, right?

His '05 was a monster draft, netting us current very good prospects Snyder, Olson, Reimold, Erbe, Spoone and Hernandez. That's a lot of talent (especially pitching) for one draft.

'06 appears to be a little further behind, with only Rowell as a very good prospect. A few other guys that are now probably considered sleepers and then a bunch of nothing.

'07 obviously was huge with Wieters and Arrieta destroying their competition this year. Anybody else becoming a decent prospect out of that draft would just be gravy.

The '05 haul certainly seems to be the best, especially if Erbe gets straightened out.

From '06, Zach Britton is one to keep an eye on and Adams and Tripp are having pretty decent seasons, as well.

From '07, Crancer, Mariotti, and Gleason look like guys to watch.

None of these guys may make it, and someone else might catch fire, but these seem like guys with possibilities.

Wow. Cliff Lee in 1998. Kind of interesting even though things like that happen every year where a team drafts someone and they don't sign i.e. the Red Sox with Alvarez.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/L/Cliff-Lee.shtml

Also interesting the O's drafted but didn't sign Dave Kingman, Dave Winfield, & Glenn Davis. The '67 (Grich & Baylor), '73 (Murray & Flanagan), & '78 (Ripken & Boddicker) drafts were pretty darn good.

Also interesting the O's drafted but didn't sign Dave Kingman, Dave Winfield, & Glenn Davis. The '67 (Grich & Baylor), '73 (Murray & Flanagan), & '78 (Ripken & Boddicker) drafts were pretty darn good.

Hmm, that gets me to thinking ... those dynamic duos all were making impacts 5-6 years after being drafted. By that logic we should be looking for impacts in the coming seasons from the draft years...let's call it 6 years to maturity:

2008 season / 2002 draft

Loewen, Majewski, Penn, Maine

2009/2003

Markakis, Ray, Hoey, McCrory

2010/2004

Fiorentino, Bergesen

2011/2005

Snyder, Olson, Reimold, Erbe, Pope, Spoone, Hernandez

2012/2006

Rowell, Beato, Britton, Berken, Tripp

2013/2007

Wieters, Bascom, Arrieta

Following that old formula of young stars two by two, these recent drafts look not too shabby for the near future.

• 2 weeks later...
Hmm, that gets me to thinking ... those dynamic duos all were making impacts 5-6 years after being drafted. By that logic we should be looking for impacts in the coming seasons from the draft years...let's call it 6 years to maturity:

2008 season / 2002 draft

Loewen, Majewski, Penn, Maine

2009/2003

Markakis, Ray, Hoey, McCrory

2010/2004

Fiorentino, Bergesen

2011/2005

Snyder, Olson, Reimold, Erbe, Pope, Spoone, Hernandez

2012/2006

Rowell, Beato, Britton, Berken, Tripp

2013/2007

Wieters, Bascom, Arrieta

Following that old formula of young stars two by two, these recent drafts look not too shabby for the near future.

Don't forget 2006/2000 -- Brandon Fahey and Kurt Birkins

I find the 2000 draft utterly amazing...we couldn't find one major leaguer until the 32nd round (and we didn't even sign Fahey that year). Even with the crapshoot that is the MLB draft, that seems difficult to do.

Don't forget 2006/2000 -- Brandon Fahey and Kurt Birkins

I find the 2000 draft utterly amazing...we couldn't find one major leaguer until the 32nd round (and we didn't even sign Fahey that year). Even with the crapshoot that is the MLB draft, that seems difficult to do.

You took the words out of my mouth. That year has to be one of the worse of any team ever. At least we got Hargrove's son.

• 1 month later...

Great piece of research.

I wish we w/have signed Glenn Davis. Then we wouldn't have made one of the the worst trades in Orioles history to get him.:rolleyes:

It's ironic the the great middle infield draft hasn't netted us any who have really moved up. Adams has hit but has 40-some errors.Britton mite salvage that draft though.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived