Who was your favorite Orioles non-superstar?

GotNitro

Moose's decade of incompetence thread got me thinking. There have been a few Orioles over the last few years that I enjoyed watching no matter how bad they actually were.

Chris Gomez - a very servicable uti guy and probably still can be. He always got that base hit when you needed him to.

David Newhan - I loved this guy from the moment he hit that homerun in his first Orioles at bat!

Eric Byrnes - He forgot how to hit when he was with us, but he was not ever afraid to get down and dirty.

I'll get murdered for this next one. Not so much that I loved seeing him play, but I wanted so bad for Fahey to succeed. I really think he tried his best, even if it isn't good enough at the major league level.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Moose's decade of incompetence thread got me thinking. There have been a few Orioles over the last few years that I enjoyed watching no matter how bad they actually were.

Chris Gomez - a very servicable uti guy and probably still can be. He always got that base hit when you needed him to.

David Newhan - I loved this guy from the moment he hit that homerun in his first Orioles at bat!

Eric Byrnes - He forgot how to hit when he was with us, but he was not ever afraid to get down and dirty.

I'll get murdered for this next one. Not so much that I loved seeing him play, but I wanted so bad for Fahey to succeed. I really think he tried his best, even if it isn't good enough at the major league level.

Wow, you go WAAAY Back.

How do you define superstar? I loved Ken Singleton. Not a Hall-of-Famer. An All-star a couple of times. My favorite Oriole.

Joe Orsulak

Mike Devereaux

Mike Bordick

Merv Rettenmund

Chris Hoiles

Mickey Tettleton

Craig Worthington

Leo Gomez

Don Buford

Pete Harnisch

Arthur Rhodes

Gregg Olson

Wow, you go WAAAY Back.

How do you define superstar? I loved Ken Singleton. Not a Hall-of-Famer. An All-star a couple of times. My favorite Oriole.

Joe Orsulak

Mike Devereaux

Mike Bordick

Merv Rettenmund

Chris Hoiles

Mickey Tettleton

Craig Worthington

Leo Gomez

Don Buford

Pete Harnisch

Arthur Rhodes

Gregg Olson

By superstar I mean guys like Ripken, Belle, Tejeda, the guys who were / are expected to perform. The guys I choose were not ereryday starters. Everyone is so focused on winning, and I want to win to, I just thought it would be fun to see the guys we enjoy watching even if they weren't the greatest.

Mike Bordick - a guy who played the game the way it was supposed to be played. He wasn't the best hitter, but he worked hard and made himself much better than he should have been, plus that No Error Streak was a thing of beauty. I wish he were 30 yrs old and our SS, or he would make a great infield coach.

John Lowenstein. Weaver used to tease him saying he had no right to be in major league baseball so he should be thankful to him.

The other half of the platoon, Gary Roenicke qualifies, too. Especially the year he wore that football style face mask on his batting helmet. Loved that.

Archived