They Were Orioles?

ShaneDawg85

Playing off the Reggie Jackson thread and the question of what constitutes an ex-Oriole, what players who have been in Baltimore come to mind when you realize that although their time here was short, they played here nonetheless. In all honesty its like a small footnote, but what players, both on the major and minor league teams, such as prospects, come to mind? Here's a couple:

Kevin Brown

David Wells 1996

Todd Zeile 1996

Joe Carter 1998

Ozzie Guillen 1998

(Come to think of it there were a couple of guys like that on the 1998 team)

Tim Raines 2001

I remember all of these guys in Baltimore, with the exception of Brown, although some I really wish I could forget, but these are just some examples of guys who actually did play here, but some people might be surprised to know they did.

Who else comes to mind?

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The only memory of Brown's time as an Oriole I have is him sticking his hand up to catch a line drive and being out for 2 months.

And the fact that although he wanted to stay in Baltimore, his importance to the future of the O's was minimized. He had a fantastic few years after leaving us, including winning the 'lowest era' for the national league. grumble grumble.....

But I digress....

Dwight Evans

Gross (first name???)

Don Baylor

Freddy Lynn (tooo much injury)

Sid Fernandez

Fernando Valenzuela

Rick Sutcliff

Lonnie Smith

Curt Schilling (started with Boston, ended back with Boston)

Glen Davis (I know...we want to forget this one bad)

Phil Bradley (I liked him)

Alan (what are you doing) Wiggins

Lee Lacy

Okay....not top stars alot of these guys. many on the last legs of thier careers. I bold faced the ones I like the most during thier stay with us.

Wayne Gross (couldnt remeber his first name

Nate Snell (boy I loved this sinker baller)

Tommy Davis 72-75

couple future coaches...

Johnny Oates

Dallas Williams (current field coach of Norfolk)

Whitey Herzog

Jest remembering that Free Agent team of 1995....

Kevin Bass

Andy Van Slyke

Bobby Bonilla

Doug Jones

Sid Fernandez (already mentioned)

Scott Erickson (stayed awhile)

Kevin Brown (already metioned)

Jesse Orosco (stayed awhile)

Rafael Palmeiro (stayed quite awhile)

Trying to think of guys who good players elsewhere:

Chris Sabo

Harold Reynolds

Doug Jones

Keith Moreland

Craig Lefferts

Mike Pagliarulo

Doug Drabek

Pete Incaviglia

Rick Burleson

Rick Schu

Ron Kittle

Greg Walker

Ron Jackson

Jerome Walton

Seems we had a lot of guys in the mid to late 1990's who had successful careers but it either didn't work out in Baltimore, or they were literally at the end of the line. Pretty easy to see how we got into the mess we've been in.

Joe Carter gets forgotten by a lot of people, mainly because he played so poorly here:

1998 38 BAL AL 85 303 283 36 70 15 1 11 34 3 1 18 48 .247 .297 .424 .721 87

Then he got traded to the Giants and actually put up an .884 OPS and a 132 OPS+ before retiring. My fondest memory of him in an O's uniform was meeting him and getting his autograph at the player's parking lot back when they didn't have the netting over it, and he was very warm and accomodating. I guess it's better than having to remember his play as an over the hill veteran.

Archived