+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pedro Florimon

RZNJ is offline Plus member Since 04/03 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Pedro Florimon

Pedro Florimon is 7 months older than Greg Miclat. Florimon is 22 or the same age as many top college players drafted last year, and playing in the Carolina League. I wonder what we'd be saying if Miclat was having the year that Florimon is having?

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/m...pbp&pid=465753

Quote Originally Posted by RZNJ View Post
    Pedro Florimon is 7 months older than Greg Miclat. Florimon is 22 or the same age as many top college players drafted last year, and playing in the Carolina League. I wonder what we'd be saying if Miclat was having the year that Florimon is having?

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/m...pbp&pid=465753
    Florimon is a jaw dropping surprise right now. No doubt about it, he's getting himself back on the radar, even if it's still just a faint blip.

How is Florimon's defense?

ThisIsOurHouse is offline Plus Member since 01/12 Major Leagues Reputation Reputation
    He's been in our system for awhile, since 2004. He was undrafted.

AVencill is offline Minor League Editor All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by thundercleetz View Post
    How is Florimon's defense?
    It's been mediocre at best. He's made nine errors on the season, but four of them came in a game on April 26th. He's made just one error in his last eight games after committing eight through his first 17 games.

I'm going to be taking a good look at his defense this week. The three games he played at home he looked pretty good, but he made some routine plays, started a 6-4-3 double play.

Actually (light bulb moment), Florimon made a good rundown of a ball hit near the line in shallow left field in the early couple innings of his first game back which was pretty impressive.

As far as him being a surprise, he certainly has been impressive, even Keys manager Richie Hebner has been impressed with what he's seen. When I talked to Florimon after Thursday's walkoff, he said he was "seeing everything". I'll take that as a great sign, and hope he keeps it up.

Bunker is offline Plus Member Since 02/09 Major Leagues Reputation
    [QUOTE=thundercleetz;1755929]How is Florimon's defense?[/QUOTE

He did not play when I saw Frederick this year but I watched him in a half dozen games in the prior two years and I thought his defense was very good to excellent and in fact thought his glove was what keeping him in the organization.

AVencill is offline Minor League Editor All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Well, Florimon made an outstanding play to rob a Lynchburg player of a basehit in the 11th inning. Florimon backhanded a ball midway between second and third on the edge of the outfield grass and threw a dart to record the out. On the very next batter, a ball was hit to Florimon, but his throw pulled Brandon Waring off the bag at first for an error. Earlier in the game Florimon did make a nice play going to his left behind the bag at second to throw out a runner.

when I've seen Florimon, his defensive tools looked very impressive. He's smooth and has a lot of range and arm, and his hands are pretty good. He probably still makes a lot of errors like many young middle infielders out of lapses in concentration, but looking at his ability, I don't see why he couldn't become a very good defensive SS. He's smooth out there.

RZNJ is offline Plus member Since 04/03 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Florimon with another good game. 3 for 4 with a 3B & HR. He now he has his OPS up to .920

How is Floriman hitting all of these home runs after two straight years of not hitting at all?

Quote Originally Posted by Fairfax Bird View Post
    How is Floriman hitting all of these home runs after two straight years of not hitting at all?
    A couple of quotes:

“I’m telling you, (Florimon) has been an A-plus,” Keys manager Richie Hebner said. “He’s shortened his swing up. I guess in the past he took wild swings, but he’s very compact right now. The home runs he’s hit are real bombs.”

“He’s been a pleasant surprise to everybody,” Keys field coach J.J. Cannon said. “We didn’t expect him to do that. He’s a guy who’s hit like .218 in Delmarva. What a surprise suspect.”
    With Florimon hitting at a .920 OPS, any chance he could get a mid-season call-up if he keeps this pace up?

A couple of quotes:

With Florimon hitting at a .920 OPS, any chance he could get a mid-season call-up if he keeps this pace up?
    Always a chance, but without any reall success before this year, I think they let Florimon put up a nice full season with Frederick. If he's for real, he could be ready when Izturis's contract is up after 2010.

Moose Milligan is offline Plus Member Since 06/06 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    It'd be nice if this guy could really get it together and carry it to the next level(s).

Let's hope he doesn't get a mid-season suspension. Sorry to have to go there, but you have to wonder about steroids nowadays any time a player has an unexpected surge of power.

Quote Originally Posted by RZNJ View Post
    Always a chance, but without any reall success before this year, I think they let Florimon put up a nice full season with Frederick. If he's for real, he could be ready when Izturis's contract is up after 2010.
    I agree with you. There's a chance he gets called up, but after two years of Mendoza-ing it at Delmarva, I think he needs a rebound year. If Stockstill is in Frederick tonight, I'll try and grab something from him.

But whew!! Last night Florimon was raking, and both the homer and the triple were balls that were scorched a long way.