+ Reply to Thread
    Mooreisbetter27 is offline Plus Member since October 2008 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Car people: How many belts does a car have?

I'm speaking of a 2001 Hyundai Elantra to be specific. And I'm not talking about seat belts, I'm talking about the belts under the hood.

The reason I ask, is that I had 3 belts replaced about a month and a half ago. It seemed to do the reverse for my car. Lots of squealing, hard to turn the steering wheel... etc.

Yesterday My car started going crazy... battery light and parking brake light came on. Started steaming from my radiator as the coolant burned out... steering wheel was hard to turn. I managed to get home and check it today and found 2 absolutely massacred belts.

Now, is it possible that these are two different belts from the 3 that the place told me they replaced? Or did they screw me over?

Spoonless is online now Plus Member since 2006 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by Mooreisbetter27 View Post
    I'm speaking of a 2001 Hyundai Elantra to be specific. And I'm not talking about seat belts, I'm talking about the belts under the hood.

The reason I ask, is that I had 3 belts replaced about a month and a half ago. It seemed to do the reverse for my car. Lots of squealing, hard to turn the steering wheel... etc.

Yesterday My car started going crazy... battery light and parking brake light came on. Started steaming from my radiator as the coolant burned out... steering wheel was hard to turn. I managed to get home and check it today and found 2 absolutely massacred belts.

Now, is it possible that these are two different belts from the 3 that the place told me they replaced? Or did they screw me over?
    I'm not sure why you would drive it for so long after the work if the belts were squealing and the steering was tight after they were replaced.

I have an '03 Elantra. My belts were replaced at the end of last winter, when I had the altenator replaced. I am pretty sure there are just the three belts. In any case, I recently had some squealing and tight steering. The belts were in good condition, but were a little loose so I tightened them via the sliding bolts and it fixed the problem.

It could be that they did in face replace the belts. Perhaps the sliding bolt adjusters weren't tightened all the way after installation, and they loosened up a bit. I imagine that driving with loose belts for so long would cause damage to them. Basically, it seems to me that they could have been replaced with new belts but were not tight enough, and suffered damage due to driving with them in that condition. That said, I'm not an auto mechanic so I don't actually know if driving with them loose would chew them up or not, but it makes sense to me.

notfast is offline Plus Member Since June 2009 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    This car has one of the simplest belt set ups ive ever seen:

So yes there are 3 belts.

If it went through belts again, they either didnt actually change them, or there is an issue with one of the "pulleys" (water pump, ac, tensioner, power steering etc)

The reason the car freaked out is because the belt wasn't on the pulleys thus power steering would be lost etc.