+ Reply to Thread
    Gulfbird44 is offline Plus Member since June 2008 Major League Starter Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

The Bullpen Gospels by Dirk Hayhurst

Funny, after reading the excerpt on this book in Baseball America, I told another OH member about this book as one she had to read. Imediately she told me that she had already read it and read it from cover to cover in one day.

Well, after having it on my "to read" pile for a few weeks I got my chance to start it while waiting for my wife today. Based on what I read from the BA article, I expected a comedic look at minor league ball. What I got was much different.

What I got was a good look at a person that chose baseball as a life choice to make what he had at home better, he wanted to big a big league star. The book chronicals Mr Hayhurst's career in the Padres minor league system. It shows not making it not only takes good skills but willness to put up with the ups and downs of baseball and life itself.

Not to say the book is not filled with some extremely humorous moments, cause it is, but the book also shows that baseball as a job/career (perhaps any job) is not what makes the man but what the man does with it defines what he(she) is in life.

I highly recomend the book to all readers who not only love the game but maybe it will for you as it did me show that some times a different perspective on things make that long losing streak seem not like the end of the world. The book is in softbound and since still new likely to be found in your local bookstore. If not, here is the link to the books page on amazon.com
    http://www.amazon.com/Bullpen-Gospel...5094888&sr=8-1

Quote Originally Posted by Gulfbird44 View Post
    Funny, after reading the excerpt on this book in Baseball America, I told another OH member about this book as one she had to read. Imediately she told me that she had already read it and read it from cover to cover in one day.

Well, after having it on my "to read" pile for a few weeks I got my chance to start it while waiting for my wife today. Based on what I read from the BA article, I expected a comedic look at minor league ball. What I got was much different.

What I got was a good look at a person that chose baseball as a life choice to make what he had at home better, he wanted to big a big league star. The book chronicals Mr Hayhurst's career in the Padres minor league system. It shows not making it not only takes good skills but willness to put up with the ups and downs of baseball and life itself.

Not to say the book is not filled with some extremely humorous moments, cause it is, but the book also shows that baseball as a job/career (perhaps any job) is not what makes the man but what the man does with it defines what he(she) is in life.

I highly recomend the book to all readers who not only love the game but maybe it will for you as it did me show that some times a different perspective on things make that long losing streak seem not like the end of the world. The book is in softbound and since still new likely to be found in your local bookstore. If not, here is the link to the books page on amazon.com
    http://www.amazon.com/Bullpen-Gospel...5094888&sr=8-1
    Someone gave me a copy of this book and I'm reading it (when I get a chance) now. So far I've found it to be hilarious although the family issues in the beginning are a bit of a downer. I can certainly see this being made into a movie. This is like Bull Durham meets Ball Four, except without naming names of the "accused."

Definitely a worthy read for any baseball fan.

CharmCityHokie is offline Plus Member Since 7/08 Major Leagues Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    I read this and it is by far my favorite baseball book I've read. I actually remember Hayhurst pitching for Toronoto against us a couple seasons ago (I think we lit him up). Just a great book, I couldnt put it down.

olehippi is offline Plus Member since 03/04 All-Star Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by CharmCityHokie View Post
    I read this and it is by far my favorite baseball book I've read. I actually remember Hayhurst pitching for Toronto against us a couple seasons ago (I think we lit him up). Just a great book, I couldnt put it down.
    Yep....Oct 2, 2009.....that was a big day for Michael Aubrey. He hit 2 HR's, one off Hayhurst, and knocked in 6 runs.

I was surprised to discover that Hayhurst is only 29 years old, and honestly, his MiL stats weren't all that bad.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/mi...d=hayhur001dir

I just finished this book today on my way back from vacation and I have to say it is one of the best books I've ever read. I laughed throughout the books and made my eyes water on more than one occasion.

I highly, highly recommend this book to anyone who loves baseball.

Can_of_corn is online now Plus Member since 12/09 Hall of Fame Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Just picked it up yesterday on my new Kindle. Enjoying it so far should have it done in a day or so.

Btw my kindle is my new baby, just loving it.

I read this not too long ago. Really good book by a very interesting person.

Bosibus is offline Plus Member Since 11/07 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    I just read this on my way down to Sarasota. In general, I do not read much but really enjoyed this book. I had some laugh out loud moments at times and the ending was perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Bosibus View Post
    I just read this on my way down to Sarasota. In general, I do not read much but really enjoyed this book. I had some laugh out loud moments at times and the ending was perfect.
    For me it's the second best baseball book I've read behind Ball Four. I highly recommend it to every baseball fan, especially during this time of year when baseball is in the air.
    Last edited by Tony-OH; 03-18-2011 at 12:35 PM.

CrimsonTribe is offline Plus Member Since 08/06 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    Just bought it for my Kindle. Will probably read it after The Extra 2%.

CrimsonTribe is offline Plus Member Since 08/06 All-Star Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation
    I'm about 10 chapters into this and I have to say that it is highly entertaining. I love how Hayhurst is so blunt and honest, not only about the minor league experience, but about his family and entire life in general. I saw a quote the other day from Hayhurst about starting for the Durham Bulls this year. He basically said, "I hope I don't suck." It was perfect. I really hope he makes it to the bigs with Tampa.