O's deciding what picthers they want for Roberts?

Cubsfan21

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And yet from the Washington Post dated 2/24/2008 -

Orioles President of Baseball Operations Andy MacPhail said he expects all to be quiet on the Brian Roberts trade front until teams are well into their spring training game schedules. MacPhail has said Roberts has drawn interest from several clubs. Multiple reports have said the Chicago Cubs have shown particular interest.

"At this stage, it's the natural inclination of clubs to bear down on the different names and see them in person to see how things may have changed between last year and this spring," MacPhail said. . . .

Well that is just a tasty little tidbit to cure my hangover this morning.

Thank you sir. :002_stongue:

Now I wonder what that would do to the deal? I thought we were getting more position players back in the deal than pitchers?

Maybe the issues with Patton have prompted AM to look at more arms in the deal?

Maybe the issues with Patton have prompted AM to look at more arms in the deal?

Good call. But I wonder what the scope of the deal would look like?

I would think they may want to keep Cedeno and Gallagher in the deal, but maybe one more position player and one more pitcher? Not really sure how that would break down. Maybe we go after one of thier power arms for more BP help, and then Patterson?

Maybe that is wishful thinking. But that would be a very nice package with Patterson and Cedeno.

Over at NSBB, Bruce Miles reported that Pie isn't getting traded.

That is fine, I don't really want Pie. I don't think he has the same value at LF, and we would have to move Jones to LF because Pie couldn't be a corner OF, IMO. And that would diminish the value of Jones.

I would rather have Murton, as funny as that sounds. :D

It could prove to be true, but those notes columns often pick up on old news or paraphrase rumors. I just do not think the Cubs are a fit, unless they add a Pie or Colvin to the deal. Do we really need a Murton or Cedeno??

Sure we do. Especially if they come with a Gallagher and another pitcher.

We could be sending Payton with Roberts so Murton could either DH or play leftfield while Scott DH's.

Cedeno can play short or second base. He would be an upgrade over Luis.

Gallagher could make a starter like Liz more expendable to pick up a young second baseman or shortstop. Gallagher would also be ready for the rotation as of opening day.

I wonder if that might mean that the O's want pitchers other than Gallagher coming back. Could it be that they want a couple of arms that are farther away but may have higher ceilings? There has been a hint or two that this may be the case. About the only thing that I think seems pretty established is that Payton and Murton are going to change places in this deal. That part makes perfect sense to me. Payton can play CF, and he hits LHers well. That is a perfect complement to Pie in CF for the Cubs. Murton is relatively young and can only play LF adequately. The DH rule of the AL suits him fine. The other hint we got was when the Cubs signed Cintron. They now have a glut of MI's. They have Theriot, Cintron, DeRosa, Cedeno, Patterson and Fontenot. Why would they sign Cintron if they did not intend to move at least one of those MIfers? They are not moving DeRosa, and he doesn't fit into our needs anyway. They can't trade Cintron now without his permission. There are serious concerns about patterson ever being able to field 2b. Cedeno has maturity/character issues that I doubt AM loves. I would like to see AM break Lou's man-crush with Theriot.

So pure speculation here, but I would make an attempt to get the Cubs to send me Murton, Theriot, Veal and Ceda for Roberts and Payton. Theriot can play SS, but I think he will be an excellent 2b so that is where I would put him. Murton has to be in the lineup somehow, I'm guessing at DH. The two pitchers are not hits on the 40 man, so off to Norfolk or Bowie they go. Perfect.;)

Archived