Fire Juan Samuel?

JTrea81

Should the Orioles fire Juan Samuel after his comments today?  

166 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Orioles fire Juan Samuel after his comments today?

• Yes, fire him immediately
    • No, he should stay on with the rest of the staff until the end of the season

After his comments today, what do you think? Is that the last straw?

Should the Orioles retain him for the rest of the season, or is it better for them to make a clean break now and avoid the possible bad vibes in the clubhouse?

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the comments are aimed at the young guys. Trembley and Samuel aren't targeting guys like Mora or Wigginton - I think they're trying to create an atmosphere where the young guys hold themselves accountable. You want to make sure guys like Reimold and Wieters are always playing with their head in the game, and when they make mistakes to man up and learn from them instead of shifting blame.

I think the comments are aimed at the young guys. Trembley and Samuel aren't targeting guys like Mora or Wigginton - I think they're trying to create an atmosphere where the young guys hold themselves accountable. You want to make sure guys like Reimold and Wieters are always playing with their head in the game, and when they make mistakes to man up and learn from them instead of shifting blame.

So what they're trying to say to them is that you have to be responsible now because you're young and unproven but once your salary is over $5 million a year you won't be accountable anymore and by the way do as I say not as I do?

Apparently Samuel possesses the players and actually makes their decisions.

Has the day come when our 3rd base coach needs to yell at every player on every damn baserunning play? I like my players to know how to play the game of baseball, thank you. The coaches are there to work on things off the field with drills and to remind guys of things while they're on base. This isn't the NFL. There's not charts and diagrams. Just know what to do in whatever situation you're in and stop when the stop sign is up.

Just a few questions for you:

1. Is it not the 3rd base coach's responsibility to tell the runner to stop at 3rd base?

2. Is it not the 3rd base coach's responsibility to tell the runner to keep going at 3rd base?

3. Is it not the 3rd base coach's responsibility to tell the runner to either stand up, or slide at 3rd base?

4. Is it not the 3rd base coach's responsibility to pay attention to every play that impacts the runners that are on?

5. Is it not the 3rd base coach's responsibility to do all of the above accurately?

Because if all of these questions are yes, fire Juan Samuel on the spot. Not to mention saying that YOUR PLAYERS are not major league baseball players is both classless, ignorant, and just downright insulting to the team.

As a coach on this team, Samuel needs to be a leader. Leaders do not blame their subordinates by saying, "they should already know how to do their jobs, there's nothing I can do about it." Leaders need to keep leading their charges and trying different stuff until the leader finds something that sticks with them.

These comments reek of "I've done all I can do; I give up." It's not the attitude we need any coach on this team to have.

I'm not saying that the players aren't accountable in any way; they definitely are. I'm just saying Samuel doesn't have the perspective and attitude of a coach I want to have on this team.

So with these comments in mind and his own personal performance on the field this year... yup. Can him.

Just a few questions for you:

1. Is it not the 3rd base coach's responsibility to tell the runner to stop at 3rd base?

2. Is it not the 3rd base coach's responsibility to tell the runner to keep going at 3rd base?

3. Is it not the 3rd base coach's responsibility to tell the runner to either stand up, or slide at 3rd base?

4. Is it not the 3rd base coach's responsibility to pay attention to every play that impacts the runners that are on?

5. Is it not the 3rd base coach's responsibility to do all of the above accurately?

Because if all of these questions are yes, fire Juan Samuel on the spot. Not to mention saying that YOUR PLAYERS are not major league baseball players is both classless, ignorant, and just downright insulting to the team.

I didn't know they were little leaguers!!

As a coach on this team, Samuel needs to be a leader. Leaders do not blame their subordinates by saying, "they should already know how to do their jobs, there's nothing I can do about it." Leaders need to keep leading their charges and trying different stuff until the leader finds something that sticks with them.

These comments reek of "I've done all I can do; I give up." It's not the attitude we need any coach on this team to have.

I'm not saying that the players aren't accountable in any way; they definitely are. I'm just saying Samuel doesn't have the perspective and attitude of a coach I want to have on this team.

So with these comments in mind and his own personal performance on the field this year... yup. Can him.

His "subordinates?"

Seriously? The lowest paid schmuck on this team probably makes twice what Juan Samuel makes. His job is to barehand foul balls at third base and not get killed by line drives, and to occasionally wave somebody in.

Oh, and to absorb blame for incompetent baserunners. Forgot that part.

I have cussed at him for getting runners thrown out at home by 10 feet. Those instances fall on him. Very little else does, sorry to say. The third base coach is the scapegoat. Wow, we have sunk as low as is sinkable.

Archived