Leaderboard

Popular Content

Showing content with the highest reputation on 10/10/2021 in all areas

1. Starting with The 30 who held the first string roles this season at the young man's position. A little to my surprise, Xander joined Gleyber and Didi as OAA's worst shortstops of the year; Xander is an amazing player, but BOS may scuffle at the position until Mayer takes the baton. Sort by 2021 seasonal age. 34 - Brandon Crawford 32 - Elvis Andrus, Miguel Rojas 31 - Freddy Galvis, Andrelton Simmons, Jose Iglesias, Didi Gregorious, Nick Ahmed 30 - Kyle Farmer 29 - Niko Goodrum 28 - Xander Bogaerts, Tim Anderson, Trea Turner, Javier Baez, Trevor Story 27
    5 points
  2. When the Astros drafted 17 year old Carlos Correa with the top pick in 2012 a lot of the “experts” were left scratching their heads. The conventional wisdom was that he was really good prospect, but there were still 4-5 players that were better. Houston signed Correa at a discount and used the savings to grab Lance McCullers later in the draft, which most people believed was a smart move, but it was still assumed at the time that the team had deliberately not taken the best player at #1. Later on many within the Houston organization stated that Correa was always at the top of their draft chart
    5 points
  3. I always love hearing Matt Blood happy talk: “This guy [Cowser] is phenomenal,” Blood said during the radio interview. “He is a big, strong, athletic kid with his head on straight. Very smart, very personable, hard worker and can hit. He can really hit. And he knows the strike zone, he uses the whole field and he’s got legit power and can play in the outfield, center field. So, this guy is the complete package, and honestly, the fact that we got him at No. 5 to me feels like a steal. This guy was our favorite guy in the draft, and he’s already shown kind of what he is and I have a lot of
    4 points
  4. Was going through some of weams' things and ran across these three stray pics with the date Feb 1986 on the back. The (?) signed balls are kept in the "shrine" next to a more recent photo of the three of them decades later. How fun is this? A fan for life.
    3 points
  5. I bet the Astros let Correa walk and end up with a far lesser expensive Semien or Baez. For the Os, I saw where the Phils want to go big at SS and they also need an OFer. Santander for Didi and Bryson Stott is a deal I would look at. We eat the Gregorious salary except the 1M they are deferring from his 2022 contract. We get Stott, their #2 prospect and #1 pick in 2019 and a player that is hitting well at higher levels and is supposed to be able to play a good SS as compensation for the difference in salary.
    2 points
  6. I think a proper Court Jester would be much better at physical comedy beyond just wearing really tight shirts at 58.
    2 points
  7. More of these moves will be coming. I’ll try and get a full list of FA’s.
    1 point
  8. 1 point
  9. Why would the Phillies give up one of their top prospects for Santander and one year of salary relief?
    1 point
  10. Overmanaging by Cora to take out Schwarber. His wheels are not that bad and he loses that if he goes to extras.
    1 point
  11. I've got a stream for anyone (like me) who doesn't have mlb TV. PM me.
    1 point
  12. Why would Hyde and Elias let him? Whats the gain for the team for him to risk exacerbating an injury for this team?
    1 point
  13. Please, no. Semien is capable enough there if not a plus defender. They’d better sort it out. Too many good choices are available to settle for Galvis 2.0.
    1 point
  14. So, what do you make of it? Neustrom at Norfolk: .787 vs. RHP , .697 vs. LHP; 42% of his PA were against LHP. Neustrom at Bowie: .898 vs. RHP, .629 vs. LHP, 25% of his PA were vs. LHP. Breaking it down a little further, Neustrom showed very little power vs. LHP at Bowie (.228/.313/.316), but did better in the power department at Norfolk vs. LHP (.235/.299/.398). Putting this in the context of MLB, this year the average LHB had a .769 OPS vs. RHP, but only .653 vs. LHP. So, I wouldn't say Neustrom is way out of the mainstream for LHB vs. LHP batting.
    1 point
  15. The Rays did want Brett Phillips out of nowhere for reasons that mostly can only be guessed at. McKenna probably fits better on someone else's roster, as Hays/Mullins/Santander (or Stowers/Neustrom's young legs if they filter in) don't cry out for defensive replacements. As a starting group i guess they kind of give the manager the luxury of a 4th outfielder who can really hit, kind of like how DJ Stewart is meant to be except he isn't.
    1 point
  16. I still like that Gausman guy
    1 point
  17. They really could. Sometimes the reports/grades are just off. The mlb.com report has Mayo’s speed graded as a 40. I have no clue what that’s based on. That’s slow and definitely doesn’t match up with a 6.81 60 yard dash (which grades out as about a 60 on the 20/80 chart) or 11/11 in steals. For comparison, Chance Sisco was graded as a 50 in running and he was as slow as any young player I can remember. (Likewise, I have no clue what led anyone to assign a 50 to Sisco’s running, but this grade was clearly inaccurate). I remember reading a report on Markakis shortly after he was draft
    1 point
  18. Continuing in the vein of jotting down Rates and Barrels podcast notes, it said there Friday morning that the Giants, Rays, Astros and Brewers are four clubs with pitching machines with some ability to mimic opponent's starter that day. We all know TTOP, and Rhapsodos make pitches just data. Lord knows the mechanical engineering at MacGyver'ing something with adjustable release points, able to put X spin/spin efficiency and Y speed on a baseball*, then send it to Location Z aligning with Walker Buehler's heat map etc, but that's probably a teaching tool worth millions that doesn't count
    1 point
  19. Looking at these guys as a group, its no surprise the O's lost 110 games. That's before even looking at the pitchers, which will be even scarier. Other than a few guys like Mullins, Mountcastle, Hays and Urias, most of these guys played like they had no business being in the majors. The O's could improve a lot in 2022 by getting actual replacement level guys at areas of weakness.
    1 point
  20. Jones is obviously not close to being on the chopping block but he certainly has to show he can hit or he won’t be here for long. Watkins clearly goes before him. But the overall premise is correct. The Orioles can get rid of almost half their 40 man roster and it not matter…and that’s pretty pathetic for a team this far into a rebuild. The good news is that it allows for a lot of movement and when they need to add the 5-8 guys they need to protect from the 40 man, it won’t be much of a problem to do it and no one like a Zach Pop should be exposed to the rule 5 draft.
    1 point
  21. I think its a mistake to stick Mateo in a utility role and not give him everyday at bats. At least to start the season.
    1 point
  22. Based on my limited observations of Jones, I didn’t think he looked too bad defensively. Rdrs had him at -1, Rtot at 0, UZR -0.8, OAA -5. So three of those say he’s slightly below average, but OAA really doesn’t like him. From what I saw, he’s pretty athletic, has a below average but not terrible arm, and was much more natural and instinctive at playing 2B than I’d expected based on reports while he was in the minors. He hit decently in AAA (.768 OPS), poorly in the majors in a small sample size (.402). I don’t think he’d be my Plan A at 2B, but I haven’t written him off comp
    1 point
  23. Is the point of this thread to point out that after you buy the arms to finish a rebuild, you sustain your winning ways with players from the system?
    1 point
  24. He can’t hit? He had 67 at bats. Yeah his defense at 2B isn’t going to cut it, but we have to give prospects time to develop. Not exposing him to the rule V is a ridiculously easy decision, particularly given our 40 man.
    1 point
  25. Not trying to be contrarian or contradict you, but i remember my Dad in 80's saying the exact same thing. He had a whole litany of "it ain't like it used to be, these kids today, when i was a kid....." We just happen to love chess and it is currently a checkers world. I absolutely do NOT want an MLB game to become like a NBA / NHL experience, which is more dance club than athletic endeavor. That being said, I completely agree with you that MLB is freakin' horrible at promoting itself. And the time zone thing, that is tricky. I'm on the West Coast, fan of an East Coast team, 4-7pm is a perfect
    1 point
  26. That was Mike. (Don't know why, I always called him Mike. ) He was always calm and level-headed, always the voice of reason or just calm. I miss my friend.
    1 point
  27. I’m starting to think we’ll all be dead by the time this lawsuit is settled.
    1 point
This leaderboard is set to New York/GMT-05:00

Orioles Information

Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2021 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics