BRobinsonfan

Plus Member
  • Content Count

• Last visited

• Days Won

Posts posted by BRobinsonfan

1. On 11/16/2021 at 9:43 AM, Frobby said:

Last year, the O’s allowed 956 runs, worst in the AL by 122 runs.   If we want to see a dramatic improvement in the team’s W-L record, there’s the low hanging fruit.   

In 2020, the team allowed only 4.90 runs per game, a 794-run pace over 162 games.   I think that should be the goal for 2022 — under 800 runs allowed.   

A good bit of that needs to come from internal improvement.  Guys who I hope can do way better include Akin, Kremer, Wells, Lowther, Baumann, Lopez, Fry and Scott.   Together, that group allowed 334 runs in 454 innings.   To me, in a successful 2022 they should be able to throw more like 700 innings and yet not allow many more than 350 runs.   I think a lot of the team’s success or failure relates to whether that group improves.   

Second, I think we need two vets to fill rotation spots more ably than Harvey and Lopez did last year.   We ought to be able to find two guys who can keep their ERAs down in the 5ish range rather than over 6.    Spend a few million to do it, please.   

Finally, we hopefully get 100+ innings from Grayson Rodriguez and some more innings from Means and Zimmermann.  Less innings from guys like Watkins.

Things would have to go very well for the O’s to allow under 800 runs next year, but I think it’s a realistic objective.   

What's the incentive for them to spend a few million on a couple of veteran pitchers if their focus is still on accumulating draft picks?  The current system doesn't incentivize incremental improvements very much. 

2. 1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I noticed that Chris Ellis was raving about Austin Wynns last night.   Said he “was putting down great fingers” and “was pumping me up and giving me lots of confidence.”

Just once after a pitcher has a bad day I’d like to hear him say that the catcher was putting down lousy fingers and really dragging him down and making him feel unconfident.   

That should be a defensive metric for catchers.  Can you imagine the scouting line?  "Plus arm, frames pitches well, superior strike rate, but needs work on putting down fingers if he is going to stick at the Major League level."

3. 7 hours ago, Chelsea_Phil said:

Geez, i just took 5 minutes to do simple google searches, and came up with several articles that describe Price as a prima Donna and an arsehole.  Why couldn’t you do that simple task, SportsGuy, and not besmirch philip?

You're new here.  You'll get used to it.

4. 14 minutes ago, Frobby said:

You’re assuming Blair was playing when Coggins did.  Blair started 113, 123 and 136 games (all in CF) in those years (regular chron order).   Coggins also started games in CF those 3 years: 9 in ‘72 (2 were complete games for him there, 38 in ‘73 (17 complete games), 26 in ‘74 (11 complete games).   So it looks to me likely that Blair didn’t play at all in the 30 complete games Coggins played in CF).   There may be some others where Blair came in as a defensive sub for Coggins and the latter left the game.   However, it appears that most of the games where Blair came in for defense, Coggins stayed in the game but moved to RF.

I was, but even with your corrections I'm still confident that Coggins/Blair/Baylor played together more than Mateo/Mullins/Hays have. 

5. 3 hours ago, Ruzious said:

Coggins came up with Bumbry.  I don't think he ever played with Blair.

Did Brady Anderson, Finley, and Devo play together for a year - before the infamous Glenn Davis trade?

In 1974 Coggins played in 113 games and Blair played in 151.  

In 1973 Coggins played in 110 games and Paul Blair played in 146

In 1972 Coggins played in 16 games and Blair played in 142.  

So... they played in about 239 games together.  

6. 16 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

This is a name that has been mentioned by a few people as someone to go after.  

I wanted to take a look at him, as I hadn’t really considered him as a potential guy for us.

There are definitely some pros and cons to him.

On the good side, his K numbers are huge.  Since 2016, his worst K rate is the one he currently has, which is 10.94.  Taking away last year (where he still made all of his starts), Ray has made at least 23 starts in each season since 2015.  In 3 of the previous 5 seasons, he made at least 28 starts and is well on his way to doing that this year.  He misses a ton of bats.  His swingstr% are well above average, even in this environment where everyone is seemingly missing bats.

On the bad sign, the walk numbers are an issue.  They have been excellent this year but he is usually in the 3.5-4 range and has actually been well above 4 the last 3 years.  This year would definitely be viewed as an outlier.  He is throwing a lot more strikes this year but his strike% is usually below average.  He also gives up a lot of homers, as he is a FB pitcher.  Despite being durable, he doesn’t pitch a ton of innings.  Similar to Tillman in that regards.

All in all, I see a guy who probably should be better than he is but is still passable as a good starter.  You may have some off years if he is more wild than usual and/or gives up a lot of homers (see 2020) but all in all he should give you a 4ish ERA for about 170 innings.  He turns 30 in about 6 weeks.

I think he’s definitely someone to consider but the BB and HR rates, as well as the lack of innings, should/could keep the price tag down.  Something in the 3/45 area would make sense to me.  Can’t see going more than that but if you could get him for that (or obviously less), I think that’s a deal you make.

In addition to his K rate and his swingstr% you neglected to mention him having a good name for baseball.  Lol.  

I think he'd be solid signing if the price tag is not ridiculously high.  Just the fact that he averages 6 innings a start would be a huge improvement for us.  

7. On 8/16/2021 at 6:38 PM, Frobby said:

I had a work colleague who took his son to see the movie and started crying during that scene.  As a gift, his son had a Field of Dreams poster mounted and inscribed it, “Hey Dad, wanna have a catch?”   My colleague had it hanging on the wall of his office.   His son went on to become a nationally known sports broadcaster.   

I have an autographed picture of Dwier Brown who played John Kinsella in the movie that a friend got me for my birthday signed "Hey Mike, Wanna Have a Catch?"  

8. On 7/28/2021 at 2:24 PM, kidrock said:

After reading through an article on who the Cubs may potentially trade away, I began to think that we are further away in the rebuild than I originally thought.  They have many decent to plus players who many think they are going to trade.  If they can't compete with a core of Bryant, Rizzo, Baez, Kimbrel, Hendricks, Davies, Wisdom, it makes me feel like the O's are just so far away.

Maybe I am being foolish or dramatic, but look at St Louis, Wash DC, Atlanta, Philly, NYM.  All have much better rosters, yet they are all around 500.  The Braves weren't doing that great before Acuna got hurt from what I remember.

Am I off base here?

Who do you see being key players on the 2026 team? 

9. True story... I once broke up with a girl because she hated Field of Dreams.  I love the movie and wanted to share it with my girl friend at the time.  The end of the movie always puts a lump in my throat... "hey Dad, wanna have a catch" gets me every time. 

Anyway, I look over at her as the credits are rolling to get her reaction... she looks at me and says "Baseball players walking out of a corn field.  Michael that's the silliest thing I've ever seen."  My reply was swift and reflexive.  "Joanie, you have no soul.  I think we should see other people."  

And we did.  Man, dodged that bullet!

• Upvote 1
    • Haha 1
  10. 2 hours ago, jabba72 said:

Actually that link says it is true. 60% in the hospital were unvaccinated which means 40% were vaccinated. Read my post again.

From the link I posted:  "Factually inaccurate: A declaration on 19 July 2021 by the U.K. Chief Scientific Advisor, Sir Patrick Vallance, stated that 60% of hospitalized people for COVID-19 are unvaccinated, not vaccinated.
    Lack of context: While Vallance did initially state that 60% of hospitalized patients were vaccinated, he later corrected himself, saying that he was referring to unvaccinated patients instead. Several social media posts failed to correct their content to reflect Vallance’s correction, or persisted in repeating Vallance’s inaccurate statement even after he had corrected it, misleading users into believing that the COVID-19 vaccines are ineffective."

11. 23 hours ago, jabba72 said:

Well you should feel safer knowing you got the vaccine. Let the unvaccinated deal with the fallout. 

It would be great if that's how it worked... but unless a significant portion of the population is vaccinated, thus depriving the virus of new hosts and the opportunity to mutate into forms for which the vaccine is not as effective... then people continue to get sick and die.  Also, there are children and people with autoimmune problems that can't be vaccinated who are put at risk.  The following diseases used to cause 1.1 million deaths per year in the United States.  

Smallpox

Diptheria

Measles

Mumps

Pertussis

Polio

Rubella

Congenital Rubella

Tetanus

Haemophilus Influenza type B

12. On 8/6/2021 at 4:23 PM, Hank Scorpio said:

Trying to think of how to answer this without being political. It's difficult. 

I trust actual science.

I don't trust government. It's quite a predicament.

Trust the Government Sitting Bull T-Shirt - Liberty Maniacs

But you trust Phillip Morris and Brown & Williamson when they tell you their studies show cigarettes aren't addictive and they don't cause cancer.  

13. This is one of those stories that makes me fall in love with baseball and the Orioles all over again.  This weekend, Mo Gaba will be inducted into the Orioles Hall of Fame.  He wasn't a player, but a young "super fan" who died too soon at the age of 14 from cancer.  He was befriended by Trey Mancini through a shared bond of their struggles against the disease.  But he was also befriended by Oriole great Adam Jones, who kept in contact with the young man and his mother even though he was no longer with the Orioles.  I think that speaks volumes about the character of both Jones and Mancini... and it also says something about the Orioles... that they would choose to honor the memory of this young man who loved the simple joy of baseball as intently as he did.    

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-orioles-hall-of-fame-gaba-hardy-devereaux-angel-20210807-23vhhuf5yjd5pis4tat2tl6glu-story.html?fbclid=IwAR05H9mrTqIY0j4E5_weaJyb6yercpCQ0yVQ4HFZ08vwVu7nvo1-5Ltlabs

• Upvote 4
  14. On 7/29/2021 at 12:04 PM, Hank Scorpio said:

I always send my buddy vacation deals to the Maldives when he trumpets the infallibility of science. 

They have the luxury of saying "OH, the data has changed and we now think XYZ is going to happen." 

That's the beauty of the scientific method.  Other's can test your conclusions by replicating your experiments.  If your conclusions are accurate they should get the same or similar results.  Saying the "data is being manipulated" doesn't make it true, especially when such a statement is said in service to a particular agenda.   

As someone once said.  "Science is not truth.  Science is the quest for truth.  When science changes its opinion, it didn't lie to you.  It simply learned more." 

15. 9 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I think I know his point too...it was just a dumb point to make.

Being called dumb by a guy who's views on the pandemic line up with those of Dr. Immanuel's is like being called ugly by a frog.  

• Upvote 1
    • Haha 1
  16. 2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Besides trolling, I’m not sure what the point of this post is when quoting the idea that Gates isn’t a scientist. 

You should look up "strawman fallacy".  It's fascinating. 

17. On 7/30/2021 at 1:11 PM, Sports Guy said:

Literally a paper pusher.  Hasn't seen a patient in like 40+ years I believe.

Of course, its not as bad as people talking scientific advice from Bill Gates.  That one was always hilarious to me.

Yeah... you're right there... he's not like an actual, honest to goodness clinician like Dr. Stella Immanuel.  She sees patients regularly and she knows that a lot of diseases are caused by patients having dream sex with demons and witches.  She agrees 100% with your "theories" about COVID.  https://cbsaustin.com/news/local/report-texas-doctor-who-went-viral-with-unproven-covid-19-cure-believes-in-demon-sperm