About RZNJ

• Rank
    Plus member Since 04/03
  • Birthday 11/23/1959

Personal Information

• Homepage
    http://

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

1. Until Rutschman is ready, there is very limited depth at catcher. At DH there are multiple possibilities from Stewart and rotating the outfielders (Santander, Mountcastle, Hays), and Mancini, into the spot with Mullins getting more OF time. Also the potential of Diaz coming up. That's why Severino gets the 1.8 and Nunez doesn't. Simple.
  2. I just know that he was gone for years. The SG II was just referencing him since he returned.
  3. It's not so bad but it all comes down to the best configuration for the team for both offense and defense. If Mountcastle can be average in LF that should be good enough unless if we are a better team with him at 1B or DH and someone else in LF.
  4. .640 slugging at home. .316 on the road. I get what you're saying but his overall numbers are greatly helped by the numbers he put up at home and it did help his power which seemed minimal on the road but pretty darn good (24 doubles 8 homers in 200 AB's) at home.
  5. Road splits. .224 average. .636 OPS. It doesn't matter how good your eye is if you don't hit. He did manage a .320 OBP on the road. A definite red flag. Again, what worries me is that it wasn't just him. 2018 Minor League Ballpark Factors (if I'm reading the data correctly) suggests that Asheville was one of the top 5 parks in all of baseball on the offensive side in the entire minor leagues. I might be nothing but I got a bad feeling on his one. https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/minor-league-park-factors-2019/
  6. I would love to see this kid succeed but his home road splits and that of his teammates suggest that his numbers were inflated in low A by a very conducive park for offense.
  7. Expectations and projections aren't worth the paper they're printed on. He could do what we say or he could play in 20 games and miss the season with injury or hit .240 with 18 homers and 60 RBI. IF he stays healthy, I think our numbers are realistic. Expect and hope are two different things but I wouldn't be surprised if he did 32/105.
  8. Sure. We already see a 17 yo pitcher who signed for something like 400k ranked #29 without pitching 1 professional inning yet.
  9. Santander .850 OPS. . BA .280 HR 32 RBI 105 Hays OPS .800 BA .260 HR 25 RBI 80
  10. I am a bit surprised this wasn't posted already but maybe I missed it. Melewski seems to have the inside info on the O's signings in this years J2 period. Back in the summer, Baseball America reported on several agreements the Orioles have with international amateurs. They included two well regarded prospects in Venezuelan shortstop Maikol Hernandez. The 16-year-old Hernandez is 6-foot-4 and 175 pounds and has several impressive tools including a strong arm and power. He’s drawn some comparisons to bigger shortstops at young ages, such as Carlos Correa and Manny Machado. The O’s have an agreement also with top catching prospect Samuel Basallo from the Dominican Republic. Basallo, who turned 16 on Aug. 13, has some left-handed raw power and an arm that gets 60 grades from some scouts. But he is a big catcher already at 6-foot-3 and 198 pounds and could outgrow the catching position. Per Baseball America, Basallo, once linked to the Yankees, could get a bonus of between $1 million and $1.5 million. There is a strong possibility that Hernandez commands a seven-figure bonus as well. It wasn’t long ago that the O’s were not very involved at all on the international amateur front, and now they could be looking at two players signed for $1 million or more come January. That class also includes an outfielder in Wilmer Feliciano, who could get nearly $500,000.
  11. RZNJ

Nunez DFA

I and others have already agreed that is largely money driven but it's a combination of the money and what Nunez brings to the table. If Nunez was an average or slightly below average 3B, they would gladly pay him the 2M or whatever. They believe he's easily replaceable, whether that be Stewart being the DH or a rotation of players into that spot while players like Valaika and Mullins give starters days off in the field. Again, I agree the O's are being cheap. No argument there. I just don't have a problem with their cheapness with this move.
  12. RZNJ

Nunez DFA

Your tone of authority when you are clearly in a fog is admirable. Anyone who thought his arbitration number was a bargain, as you suggest, could have offered a warm body to secure his services before he hit the open market. What won't make sense is if any team offers him 2M or more now that he's available to any team that wants him.
  13. RZNJ

Nunez DFA

If Mullins continues to hit for an 800 OPS against RHP, he'll get a lot of AB's. Agreed.