Frobby

Plus Member
  • Content Count

• Last visited

• Days Won

Everything posted by Frobby

1. I thought it was interesting that Nathan Ruiz reported in the Sun today that Davis had been out with "what he said was a sinus infection." It was almost as if Ruiz was signaling that he didn't believe that explanation.
  2. Fangraphs has our odds of the playoffs at 9.8% as of today. It was 4.8% after Sunday’s win. I’m not sure what happened yesterday to double our chances, but I’ll take it!
  3. I seem to remember they revamped the drainage (which already was excellent) someone in the last few offseasons. So it could be more than 7-10 now.
  4. I certainly don’t think everyone on the team stinks. I expect the team itself to be pretty awful when it’s all said and done (though I’m hoping to be surprised), but that doesn’t mean everyone on the team is awful. Alberto was worth 2.9 rWAR last year and this year his job is to back that up and show it wasn’t just a high-BABIP (.318) fluke. He’s off to a good start offensively and I’ve always liked his D at 2B.
  5. OPACY has fantastic drainage. But it will be challenging. 3.5 - 4.5 inches of rain expected from Monday night through Tuesday afternoon.
  6. Not sure I follow this logic. Why is Verlander’s contract “extreme?” There are several batters who have bigger contacts. It is an unusual year when the best pitcher has more value than the best hitter, measured by Wins Above Replacement, which by definition takes into account how hard it is to develop players above replacement value. In fact, the more I think of it, the less logic there is to your argument. An argument that makes more sense to me is that more pitchers are lost to injury, so you have to draft more of them to account for the attrition.
  7. That would be great. I haven’t read any books in that series, but really enjoyed the movie.
  8. Sayonara to 2020, I’d guess. Maybe he could hit, but why risk it?
  9. Good article here on the Severino interference plays. Good video showing how ridiculously close Severino was to the batter. https://blogs.fangraphs.com/pedro-severino-and-the-worst-thing-a-catcher-can-do-to-his-hand/
  10. I’m in the middle of season 2 of Ozark now. It’s a bit absurd, but still pretty absorbing. The characters are terrific.
  11. Thanks for this recommendation. My wife and I really enjoyed this show. We blasted through all 60 episodes over about 2 months. And, my wife has read 10-11 of the Bosch novels this summer, too.
  12. You just lost all credibility. There’s not a manager on the planet who would start Rio Ruiz over the 2014 version of Manny Machado, and 6 good games for Ruiz doesn’t change that fact.
  13. Do you honestly think Bleier was ever as good as, say, 2012-15 Darren O’Day? I don’t. I think Buck spotted him well and he had good fortune. I don’t mean to say he wasn’t a solid pitcher, but I would not judge him on his ERA alone. Nor am I ready to declare him back to his 2016-18 form based on the three innings he pitched this year. I stick with what I said before: 5th or 6th best option in a good bullpen.
  14. I think it was a decent deal. But ask me again in three years when I’ve got some handle on the young guys we acquired. Right now it’s just guesswork.
  15. Well, I’d hope it was only an extra 15 seconds...
  16. Here’s an idea: any team that has more than X number of players test positive in a three day window is disqualified from further play. That helps prevent the spread to other teams and puts a lot of pressure on players to avoid situations where they’re likely to get infected. OK, it will never happen. But I can dream.
  17. What does that have to do with Alberto? He’s 27 and will be a free agent after the 2022 season, at which point he’ll be 29 (30 by the time his first FA season begins). You could sign him to a 4-year deal now and maybe an option year and that wouldn’t look too bad. I would not advocate signing him to a 4 year deal once he reaches FA, however. To be clear, I’m not at all ready to lock him up — but not because I’m worried about his age. I just don’t want to overreact to his hot start.
  18. And the first thing I’d ask you is, “did you wash your hands with warm water and soap for at least 20 seconds?”
  19. I think the article was more discussing the Rays’ philosophy of trading guys early and often. Not that Elias will emulate the Rays in every respect. But also, I wouldn’t draw too many conclusions about Elias’ draft strategy based on one full draft and this year’s five-rounder (6 picks for us). It’s just too limited a sample.
  20. Fangraphs has the O’s playoff chances at 4.8% after their win today, up from 2.1% two days ago, but still lowest odds of any team in MLB.
  21. I really enjoy watching guys like Leblanc and Milone when they’re on their game.
  22. From an interview with Fangraphs’ David Laurila (who, by the way, is one of the great baseball journalists around IMO): “With the modern business of the game now, you look at a lot of clubs… like the team we’re playing [this weekend],” Elias told reporters on a Zoom call. “The Rays are very transactional. You’ve got to pick your times and cycle guys in, cycle guys out — keep the talent flow going. Yeah, we’re still at a point in our cycle where we’re going to prioritize stuffing the talent pipeline as much as possible in the minor leagues. Then the goal is to persist in that way once we have the talent-base filled in.” In other words, expect roster fluidity beyond the rebuild. As for what Baltimore will be getting in return for Bleier, it will almost certainly be a prospect. The name itself will have to wait, baseball’s current circumstances being the reason why. “This year, if you’re going to acquire a player who’s not in a club’s active-player pool, any trade needs to be structured that way,” explained the Orioles GM. “So obviously I can’t reveal what we might expect to receive, or what our options would be. At some point in time we’ll consummate the rest of the trade.”
  23. It’s still not that many — 17 players on 30 teams, so about 3%.
  24. Not worried about it one way or the other.