Frobby

Plus Member
  • Content Count

• Last visited

• Days Won

Posts posted by Frobby

1. 42 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I am enjoying the tone change here.  Sounds like we are moving from everyone on this team stinks to if he keep it up we should sign him for 4 years.    Quite a change.

I certainly don’t think everyone on the team stinks.   I expect the team itself to be pretty awful when it’s all said and done (though I’m hoping to be surprised), but that doesn’t mean everyone on the team is awful.    Alberto was worth 2.9 rWAR last year and this year his job is to back that up and show it wasn’t just a high-BABIP (.318) fluke.    He’s off to a good start offensively and I’ve always liked his D at 2B.

2. 1 hour ago, Ruzious said:

Sounds like the rain will stop around 4 PM, but the field will probably still be a mess - seems unlikely they'll get the game in - unless there's some heroics with the draining of the field.  

Everyone get a bucket!

OPACY has fantastic drainage.     But it will be challenging.   3.5 - 4.5 inches of rain expected from Monday night through Tuesday afternoon.      

3. 4 hours ago, Philip said:

Most prospects disappoint by definition.

The question is how much benefit will you get from those who succeed.

The benefit from a successful pitcher Is greater then that from a successful hitter Because pitching is harder to develop.

thats why Greinke Verlander etc got such extreme contracts.

the only risk to drafting pitchers is that they will fail. So you balance that by drafting/finding lots of them. If only one guy from the Bundy trade is a winner, it means 3-4 guys failed, but that’s a good trade.

Not sure I follow this logic.    Why is Verlander’s contract “extreme?”     There are several batters who have bigger contacts.    It is an unusual year when the best pitcher has more value than the best hitter, measured by Wins Above Replacement, which by definition takes into account how hard it is to develop players above replacement value.

In fact, the more I think of it, the less logic there is to your argument.  

An argument that makes more sense to me is that more pitchers are lost to injury, so you have to draft more of them to account for the attrition.   

4. On 12/18/2019 at 5:36 PM, SteveA said:

Having read all of Michael Connelly's books, I have loved Bosch.   It totally nails the tone of the books and nearly every character is portrayed just how I pictured them in my mind's eye while reading the books.   The first time Deputy Chief Irving walked in the room I said, wow, they couldn't have found a more perfect actor for the part.  

I have rarely read a book and then seen the screen version and liked it, I'm almost always disappointed.   But not with Bosch.

Thanks for this recommendation.   My wife and I really enjoyed this show.   We blasted through all 60 episodes over about 2 months.    And, my wife has read 10-11 of the Bosch novels this summer, too.   

5. 20 hours ago, GuidoSarducci said:

3B 2014 Machado OPS 755 vs Ruiz 1112.  Win for 2020.

You just lost all credibility.    There’s not a manager on the planet who would start Rio Ruiz over the 2014 version of Manny Machado, and 6 good games for Ruiz doesn’t change that fact.   

6. 12 hours ago, wildcard said:

Sounds like you are in denial.    Bleier was a   below 2.00 ERA pitcher in the majors for 2016-2018.  Look it up.   He had a lat and shoulder injuries be begin 2019 and was never really healthy.   This season he is back to his  2016-2018 form.

Do you honestly think Bleier was ever as good as, say, 2012-15 Darren O’Day?   I don’t.   I think Buck spotted him well and he had good fortune.    I don’t mean to say he wasn’t a solid pitcher, but I would not judge him on his ERA alone.   Nor am I ready to declare him back to his 2016-18 form based on the three innings he pitched this year.    I stick with what I said before: 5th or 6th best option in a good bullpen.    

7. 3 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

You simply can’t grade the Cashner deal or any the way it’s being done here.

Cashner’s value is based on how had performed up to the trade And the fact that Boston thought he could help.

There are other examples of players that were dealt for a playoff run and completely collapsed.

If he pitched to a 2.50 ERA the rest of the way in the playoffs would he have been worth more?

I don’t think Elias made a good deal .... some here do. We can agree to disagree 

I think it was a decent deal.    But ask me again in three years when I’ve got some handle on the young guys we acquired.    Right now it’s just guesswork.   

8. Here’s an idea: any team that has more than X number of players test positive in a three day window is disqualified from further play.    That helps prevent the spread to other teams and puts a lot of pressure on players to avoid situations where they’re likely to get infected.  

OK, it will never happen.    But I can dream.  

9. 3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm not interested in signing 30+ middle infielders to long term deals.

What does that have to do with Alberto?   He’s 27 and will be a free agent after the 2022 season, at which point he’ll be 29 (30 by the time his first FA season begins).    You could sign him to a 4-year deal now and maybe an option year and that wouldn’t look too bad.    I would not advocate signing him to a 4 year deal once he reaches FA, however.   

To be clear, I’m not at all ready to lock him up — but not because I’m worried about his age.   I just don’t want to overreact to his hot start.   

10. 4 hours ago, Beef Supreme said:

If I went to the bathroom, the first thing I would ask when I got back was, "how did that guy get on second base?" Unless somebody answered, "It's magic!" I would know the rule had been changed.

And the first thing I’d ask you is, “did you wash your hands with warm water and soap for at least 20 seconds?”

• Upvote 1
    • Haha 1

11. 8 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Big different is that the Rays priorties drafting pitchers.  Elias does not.

I think the article was more discussing the Rays’ philosophy of trading guys early and often.    Not that Elias will emulate the Rays in every respect.    But also, I wouldn’t draw too many conclusions about Elias’ draft strategy based on one full draft and this year’s five-rounder (6 picks for us).     It’s just too limited a sample.   

• Upvote 2

12. 1 hour ago, scOtt said:

SpaceX Crew Dragon has splashed down, been recovered and the capsule and astronauts are secured safely to the deck of the recovery ship.The entire mission an utter and complete success!

Go SpaceX! Go NASA! GO SCIENCE!!! :clap:

Watched it.   That was spectacular.    

• Upvote 1