Frobby

Plus Member
  • Content Count

• Last visited

• Days Won

Everything posted by Frobby

1. I am glad we won the GCL, but let’s not lose sight of the fact that we had the oldest team in the league by a wide margin. Our hitters were the second oldest, averaging 20.9 compared to league average 19.5. Our pitchers were the oldest, 22.1 compared to league average 20.3, and 0.6 years older than the second oldest group of pitchers.
  2. The Hessian had a good day. No runs and 4 K’s in 2 IP.
  3. I think if he has an excellent outing he may well be in the mix. Therefore, he will have a terrible outing.
  4. Dylan Bundy threw 4 innings yesterday, allowing 3 hits including a 2-run homer, while striking out 5. He’s struck out 16 in 11.1 innings, tied for the lead in strikeouts this spring.
  5. Long discussion of Davis’ good spring here: https://blogs.fangraphs.com/spring-training-stats-only-almost-mean-nothing/
  6. I hear you. The homers seem a bit one-sided, though (6-2 at the moment).
  7. Offensively, he did improve. .557 OPS in 2018, .729 in 2019. That’s very meaningful if you ask me. But I’m hoping for continued improvement.
  8. He was not bad in AAA last year. He just wasn’t exceptional. 4.73 ERA in a league where the average was 4.90. I think it’s highly likely he’ll pitch in the majors. Whether he’ll have any success remains to be seen. It really boils down to whether command of his offspeed stuff improves.
  9. Philip doesn’t like Sisco. I don’t mean personally, he just doesn’t like his skill set. I’ve advocated patience with Sisco, but if Holaday clearly beats him out, so be it. I expect that decision to be made at the very end of spring training.
  10. I don’t see how this comment applies to Akin. He has never pitched in the majors and this was his first time in major league camp. He hasn’t been up and down.
  11. Akin did not bowl me over this spring. 13 hits, 2 walks, 3 homers allowed in 9.2 innings. It won’t hurt him to sharpen things up in the minors before he’s called up. I still think he’ll be recalled within 2 months, but he’ll have to earn it.
  12. And he had played decently up until his trade to Baltimore that year. If he had played decently for us, maybe we would have made the playoffs that year. Not sure if he belongs in this thread or not, as he never played the field with the O’s.
  13. I think he had some real key moments. 8/14 - homered to break 5-5 tie in the bottom of the 8th 9/6 - homered to tie the game in the bottom of the 7th 9/11 - sac fly to win the game in the bottom of the 10th 9/21 - grand slam to break tie in the bottom of the 6th And, he injected a lot of life into the crowd. It was great hearing the Eddie chant after all those years. Got me riled up.
  14. Yeah, I’m not going to overstate things. The 1996 model Eddie wasn’t nearly the 1977-88 model. I just have trouble lumping him in with Derrek Lee, who added nothing to a 69-win team.
  15. Nobody disses Eddie when I’m around! Not even Moose, who deserves a lot of slack.
  16. Whaaaaat????? Yeah, Eddie wasn’t great for us, but he did manage a .766 OPS with 10 homers and 34 RBI in 64 games. The team was 50-46 when Eddie arrived but went 38-26 in those 64 games and made the wild card. To me he was a good contributor down the stretch. He also had a .967 OPS in the ALDS and .820 in the ALCS. I was really happy with Eddie’s return engagement. Fortunately the team didn’t renew him for 1997, when he was truly spent and retired when that season ended.
  17. We’ll see where things end up. Last year our position players were third youngest among the 30 teams, while our pitchers were sixth youngest. This team could be a bit older if the players listed in the OP stick. But by the end of the year I expect to see a younger profile.
  18. https://www.mlb.com/orioles/news/2020-farm-system-rankings 1. Tampa 13. Baltimore 16. Toronto 22. New York 25. Boston
  19. This one got 38% from the critics, 13% from moviegoers.
  20. Wow, that does not sound good.
  21. If you come up, let us know. I’ve tried to organize a minor league Hangout night a couple of times, to no avail. But your appearance could be a good excuse for a get together.
  22. I don’t know. Why return a guy before the new guy is actually on board and needs a 40-man spot, if that’s your intention.
  23. When was the last time the O’s returned all their Rule 5 guys before the season started? Surely it was before Duquette was GM.
  24. Great stuff as always. Remind me, were you around minor league camp this time last year, or did you just start going to games once the GCL started? I think you covered this in your intro thread several weeks ago, but I forget.