Camden_yardbird

Plus Member
  • Content Count

• Last visited

• Days Won

Everything posted by Camden_yardbird

1. Mateo is a player I really wanted the Orioles to target in the off season. He is the type of player you take a risk on.
  2. The problem with this is supply and demand. The supply this year at SS is nuts, and the supply next year is not. Waiting for Turner next year would mean the Orioles would have to compete with the games biggest juggernaut for his services. IMO, the Orioles should identify a SS they want to give a 4-6 year deal to and go get them. The supply should help. The Orioles can't wait until the prospect team starts competing to start adding to a playoff team, that just not how the game works. You dont build playoff squads in a year. You have to draw talent from all sources and that incl
  3. I see a lot of this: "But Machado was a free agent at season end, they were never going to get much for him" And then I look at the prospects the Cubs picked up, or the Twins, or pirates and wonder if they maybe knew what they were doing. Time will tell. The Orioles have had a breadth over depth approach to trades for awhile now across multiple leadership teams and I still don't know where its gotten them. Seems like the best trade of the past twenty years was a "Give me your best prospect or pound sand" approach.
  4. Another seasons worth of ABs? Should only take the next 3 years.
  5. Cruz, Schwarber, Soler, Gallo All play varying levels of sort of suitable OF I guess.
  6. Other teams did better in this respect, taking players signed last off season and turning them into prospect value. Pirates with Tyler Anderson Cubs with Jake Marisnick Hard to split out value (with Gomes included), but arguable the Nationals with Harrison and certainly their Schwarber deal which netted a nice Boston prpspect.
  7. Well, with how the Orioles went through this trade deadline they clearly think that they are closer than 4-5 years.
  8. My feeling is this, when the Orioles pass this trade deadline a switch needs to be flipped. This is it. Next off season needs to be about adding pieces to a competitive team not possibly trading away players like Means. You add pieces and come next years trade deadline if what you added doesn't get you into the lower level of contention then you consider trades. At some point though the Orioles need to start investing in competition, not a rebuild. This team can't be a blank slate devoid of veteran leadership when Hall, Rodriguez, AR and the lot start to come up.
  9. I agree. I understand the team is mad because they are in contention but if he can get Toro, and replace Graveman with someone who is even 80-90% of the production he should do that.
  10. Who has more trade value Means or Scherzer?
  11. This team should be adding talent wherever they can. Mazara isn't it.
  12. Just think of the BELOW SLOT corner outfielder THAT NO SCOUT HAD RATED THIS HIGH we can draft next year... Fixed that for you.
  13. I agree, the Angelos ownership has definitely been feast and famine, with far too much ownership meddling. I think ownership change is not only inevitable, but also more than likely to help the Orioles speed up organizational rebuild, than any other change that can be made. Then again I couldn't wait for Selig to go, celebrated his departure, but now wonder whether Manfred isn't worse in some ways.
  14. This is partly right. Sustained competitiveness is a mix of factors. The owner is one, and the current ownership certainly doesn't help. The farm is one, and Elias seems to be improving that despite what looks like less than idea (initial) draft returns. I question whether Elias has all the other skills necessary to build a sustain successful team. The Rays, Oakland and Indians succeed despite low payrolls because they do everything else right. The Yankees, Dodgers and Red Sox succeed because high payrolls allow them to take risks, write off failures and outspend on things like
  15. Go look at his fastball placement on baseball savant. The heat map looks more like a hitters hot zones than what a pitchers FB placement should be. https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-player/keegan-akin-669211?stats=statcast-r-pitching-mlb
  16. Send them down to single A (any of them) and tell them they have to earn their way back up. Send a message or something. Its embarrassing.
  17. There were a few articles earlier this year about how popular they are in England. Evidently a bunch of English boy scouts were in OPACY on a day Santander went off and became huge fans. They took it back to England and it has spread.
  18. Probably not the most popular answer, a championship for Bowie, and all that entails (AR, Rodriguez, Dorrian, Vavra stay).
  19. The Angels added 20... Eric DeCosta was not wrong when he said if the Ravens want better wide recievers they need to take more bites of the apple. The Orioles need to start following their fellow nesters and take more bites of the apple.
  20. Oh God. Josh Hamilton doing what he did at Yankee stadium will go down as one of the best HR derby ever. One of the most amazing feats on a baseball diamond. As long as you have the replay on MUTE. Berman tried to ruin that.
  21. Davis and Cowser are both considered real head scratchers by the Pirates and Orioles, two organizations that are perennially cheap and and at the bottom of their divisions. Two organizations that, but for a brief stretch in the 2010's are the laughing stock of MLB, struggle to stay competitive, are known for super hit and miss farm systems, and fail to stay relevant. These teams don't get to recieve the benefit of the doubt when they make picks like this. They get to recieve every inch of criticism leveled at them.
  22. 1. Draft more pitchers 2. Copy what the Indians do in the minors with their pitchers.
  23. They could be respectable. Would need to spend some money. They won't spend that money. I'm not convinced they will spend that money when their lineup is 7 deep and they are knocking on the door of the playoffs and need just 1 or 2 more pieces.
  24. This is right. Even looking at baseball savant Kremer and Akin have better stuff (underlying statistics) than Zimmerman in the pros this year, they should theoretically have a bigger margin for error. It will be really interesting to see if they can make the adjustments and whether the organization, which over the last 20 years has largely been unable to squeeze serviceability out of middle of the road prospects (with few exceptions), can reverse course and start teaching their pitchers how to be successful at the MLB level while making adjustments.