Number5

Plus Member
  • Content Count

• Last visited

• Days Won

Everything posted by Number5

1. I've got two. When Brooks was elected to the HOF he made appearances at Crown stations to give out and sign posters for fans. My wife and I went and he was so friendly. At the time he was announcing games with Chuck Thompson on tv and my wife told him he looks much better in person than he does on tv. Brooks said "Yeah, those tv cameras sure make you look fat!" Everybody there broke out laughing. We still have the posters hanging downstairs. As a boy, the Orioles had a clinic at Memorial Stadium for Little Leaguers. Two kids from each area Little league got to go, and I was lucky enough to be one of the two from my league. Jim Gentile gave a talk on hitting and Milt Pappas on pitching. I was the tallest kid there, so Diamond Jim chose me to be his guinea pig on hitting. He knelt on one knee behind me and positioned my body, feet, arms etc. As he was doing so he said, "When I say OK, you go ahead and give it a rip." At one point, as he's getting me set up he inadvertently said, "OK, that ought to do it." Well, when I heard "OK" I swung as hard as I could. Gentile was barely able to duck out of the way. There was a stunned silence for a moment and I was mortified. One man there said "Wow, that would have made the front pages of the Sunpapers." And everyone let loose with a relieved laugh. Gentile was very nice to me, though. He said, "Don't worry about it, you did exactly what I told you to do. Good job. Now, lets try it again." Milt Pappas then talked about pitching and showed us various grips. He showed us the curve ball and told us not to try to throw a curve until we were 14 years old. Yeah, right. You know what all of us were doing as soon as we got home. Then we all had great seats for a Sunday afternoon ballgame. It was a great day. I don't know if they still do things like that.
  2. I was thinking about how they didn't cancel the season back in 1919, and it occurred to me that if they had Joe Jackson would probably be in the Hall of Fame.
  3. My son and his girlfriend are at the Nationals/Yankees game today. They may end up seeing the last MLB game of the season.
  4. Baseball. Not world news. Not political opinion. Not investment advice. Not medical information or advice. Not vacation travel planning. Not concert schedules. Not family counseling. Baseball. If I'm looking for those other things, this is not the site I go to. Thank you.
  5. Better's better. Not better's not better.
  6. Is there a blue pill for ties?
  7. Domino's has a large 2-topping pizza for $7.99, so you're good. 😎
  8. DiMaggio also beat out Williams for the MVP in 1941. That was the year of Joe D's hitting streak. For a month that summer, everyone in America was following the streak. I'm sure that had a lot to do with his beating out Williams for the MVP. Williams hit .406 and had the far better season, but Joe D's streak was national news at the time.
  9. Tony, you mentioned Herrera at 1B. the guy has played more 2B in his career than anything, and also can play 3B and OF. Do you think he might be in the Utility mix?
  10. I'm a doctor, not a baseball player.
  11. He flew in to Miami to pick up some pants? Must be some really nice pants. 😁
  12. Yes, or other productive outs plus having 2 shots at a hit instead of one. You really need to be confident the guy will score before you send him in that situation. In this case, it would have taken a really bad throw for him to have any chance at scoring. Bad decision all the way around.
  13. Cardinal sin. Never make the second out at home.
  14. But can Iglesias play ping pong?
  15. If we keep this pace up all year, we'll win 81 games!!
  16. Herrera can play 2B, 3B, 1B, and OF. Has some pop and some speed. Not a zero offensively. Has some MLB experience, too. Good utility guy. Not sure if he can fill in at SS, though. I like him.