Community Reputation

173 High-A

About ThomasTomasz

• Rank
    Advanced Member
  • Birthday 4/11/1988

Recent Profile Visitors

1,167 profile views
  1. Really disappointed in this. For one, Chris Davis is on the roster still. You can’t tell me that this decision is motivated by finances more than performance, because if so, Nunez blows Davis out of the water. Chances are that we could even turn Nunez into something at the deadline but we are giving up on him, well before we’ve given up on inferior players before. also, while I don’t want to give up on prospects, most teams have a Rylan Bannon (utility guy with a decent bat) or Alex Wells (BOR control lefty) if not multiple of those guys. Nunez is a proven power bat at the majors. I just don’t get it unless it’s financially motivated.....which it clearly is and that’s a true shame
  2. During the past year or so there was an uptick in younger players signing contract extensions, due to uncertainty around a new labor agreement coming up. Not sure how many guys that impacts as far as who was going to initially be free agents however
  3. He has a mid first talent grade, there were signability questions and I believe we went way overslot to get him to sign.
  4. It’s behind the Athletic paywall, but Connolly is reporting Brocail and Flores were let go of in cost cutting measures. Elias cited a mandate from ownership with one of them at least.
  5. I don't think we can discount Bundy moving out of OPACY and the AL East for this as you said. The one item that is most missing during anyone's assessment of Bundy is that Mickey Callaway is the Angels pitching coach. A great pitching coach is still needed to relate to the player and make sure they are getting everything out of the data presented to them, and Callaway is one of the best.
  6. Could be a variety of factors playing into that. ERA is a good stat, probably the best of all of what we call traditional stats, but it is still limited. Due to some defensive improvements this year, it might be best to look at FIP to see how our pitchers performed. They may also have their own expectations for how each pitcher should see improvement, and maybe enough pitchers didn't see improvement to justify keeping Brocail. The other point being brought up about the minor leagues being condensed and more coaches available is an interesting one. Seeing Dylan Bundy succeed with Mickey Callaway also highlights the need for a great instructor who can translate things from analytics and communicate one-on-one with the player. This is a crucial hire to get right.
  7. Baumann is a huge risk, more than Wells. His stock has shot up after his time in Bowie last year. I am a big dynasty player, and Prospects Live has him as their 264th overall player, and Wells isn't listed. Prospects1500 has Baumann as our 10th prospect, and Wells as our 17th. MLB Pipeline has Baumann 10th and Wells 20th. He has a lot more upside than Wells IMO. Pop has the TJS recovery but a two-pitch reliever who was a lock-down guy in AA is a worthwhile risk for the Rule 5 draft, especially with 26 man rosters now. If I were a GM, I'd rather take the chance on a guy like Pop who could be a very good high-leverage reliever over a guy who might be a back-end starter/long reliever.
  8. I also wish we could have found a spot for Wasdin in the organization as well, his influence in those two draft classes was huge.
  9. I'm talking further down the organization. Some of the coaches and development guys were there for forever, and a common theme were "former Orioles." McGregor is one. Surhoff as a scout is another. There are plenty more examples.
  10. We desperately needed people brought to fix things. The "Oriole Way" and keeping so many guys in coaching and development positions from our past was causing stagnation for all of the time of the dark ages, and even during our success from 2012-2016. Look no further than our pitching development. No TORP's since Mussina were developed unless you want to count Erik Bedard (and it's an argument I'm inclined to agree with.). But that's one guy, in 30 years, despite a lot of high draft picks spent on pitchers. Something in the warehouse had to change, and it looks like that change finally happened.
  11. That name takes me back to my first dynasty league. Wow.
  12. This is a great post. However, you are missing one key point. You can have all of the analytics in the world telling you things, and unless you have a pitching coach who can relate to the player and communicate with them in a way that they understand it, it doesn't mean anything. And there is a Grand Canyon sized difference between the caliber of pitching coach that Doug Brocail is when compared to Mickey Callaway. In the same way that we ruined Jake Arrieta, I believe that Bundy was cooked for us as well. Also, analytics are not the be all, end all. A lot of attention is paid to how Houston picked up Charlie Morton off the scrap heap and made him into a great TORP. At the same time, their analytics blew it as it pertains to JD Martinez.
  13. While sabermetrics and analytics reign king right now, getting out of Camden Yards and the AL East is a big factor. However, most importantly, COACHING still reigns supreme. And let's just say, there is a chasm the size of the Grand Canyon between Doug Brocail and Mickey Callaway as far as pitching coaches go.
  14. It's actually player development. None of the prospects traded by Duquette were highly regarded at the time except for Eduardo Rodriguez. Jake Arrieta's star had faded. Zach Davies was a borderline top 20 prospect for a terrible farm. Josh Hader was a lottery pick. Angelos kept far too many people employed in the minor league system as coaches and development personnel because they were forner Orioles, and never got things up to speed from an analytics perspective. Elias has done a complete gutting of the warehouse and development staff after his first season. Matt Blood was a really exciting addition, as is Chris Holt gaining more influence.
  15. 30 man minor league camp at Bowie. This was our original list- the numbers are MLB Pipeline top 30 prospect ratings. Grayson Rodriguez was just added a little over a week ago. So even top prospects and first round picks (like Rodriguez and Kjerstad) aren't even locks to make these camps. I will say, many first rounders and some other draft choices are in their teams camps, but there isn't any consistency across the teams to say "these guys are in camo, and these guys aren't." Orioles: Adley Rutschman, C (No. 1), DL Hall, LHP (No. 3), Ryan Mountcastle, 1B/OF (No. 4), Austin Hays, OF (No. 5), Michael Baumann, RHP (No. 8), Dean Kremer, RHP (No. 9), Keegan Akin, LHP (No. 11), Hunter Harvey, RHP (No. 12), Dillon Tate, RHP (No. 27)