Frobby

Would you bring BRob back next year if the price is right?

Would you bring BRob back for 2014 if the price were right?  

107 members have voted

1. 1. Would you bring BRob back for 2014 if the price were right?

If I were Roberts I'd play for around league minimum because that's approximately my value on the open market.

I doubt it, based on what guys like Mark Ellis are making. Some team will cough up $2 mm + if that's what BRob wants to do.

The problem with Roberts on the bench is simple, he can only realistically play second and DH. He isn't tall enough for first and doesn't have the arm for anywhere else on the diamond.

Bingo. The Orioles would lose versatility off the bench if they bring back Roberts. Better to sign somebody like Michael Young and have Flaherty on the bench in Roberts' place.

I doubt it, based on what guys like Mark Ellis are making. Some team will cough up $2 mm + if that's what BRob wants to do.

Yeah, I think you're right and it looks like he may finish reasonably well. Although Mark Ellis has been a pretty elite defender.

I say no, I would not bring him back. It's a tough tough call though. The problem for me is that I think on paper he has 2-3 million in value. I think history says that he is not likely to earn that, but I am willing to be proven wrong. For me the issue is roster spot. I can't keep Nick, Brob, Weiters, and Hardy. As someone said the other day. Good organizations know when to move on, and I think of the guys above, Brob is clearly the one that doesn't make sense to give a spot to. Just my 2 cents.

Bingo. The Orioles would lose versatility off the bench if they bring back Roberts. Better to sign somebody like Michael Young and have Flaherty on the bench in Roberts' place.

I do like Roberts bat in the way he fouls off pitches and makes the pitcher work. If he had a full healthy season, maybe he could be a good DH?

In any event, from the poll, it seems 2/3 of our posters don't want BRob back at any price.

When I voted no, I was assuming he would make a few million. If he agreed to come back for league minimum on the principal he will do whatever it takes to help the team win and repay the team for the time on DL, I would welcome him back in that case.

I said yes - but I would bring him back with the understanding that Schoop was the guy of the future, and he would probably (hopefully) be a backup/DH/part-time 2nd baseman. Pay him a low base with stepped bonuses for games played, etc. I think he's a good dude, and he does have some gas left in the tank, IMO.

It's been demonstrated that his concussion can recur. It's been demonstrated that once injured it's impossible to predict recovery time even to a very loose degree. I'm baffled as to why the organization would ever consider bringing BRob back as a player after their expensive experience over the last four years.

Bringing him back in some capacity other than as a player is something I would completely support.

Edited by 24fps
To specify concussion

It's been demonstrated that his concussion can recur. It's been demonstrated that once injured it's impossible to predict recovery time even to a very loose degree. I'm baffled as to why the organization would ever consider bringing BRob back as a player after their expensive experience over the last four years.

Bringing him back in some capacity other than as a player is something I would completely support.

Why? To teach guys how to hustle?:rolleyes:

Why? To teach guys how to hustle?:rolleyes:

Patience, attitude, determination, loyalty and several other things along those lines was what immediately came to my mind. I'm confident there are plenty of on-field skills that he could be useful teaching in regard to approach and beyond.

But take your point.

I think Roberts' return will be based on their appraisal of Schoop's readiness to take over the job full time next season. If they feel he needs more time at AAA then BRob will be back.

No. Time to move on. I'd give the job to Flaherty, sign a utility guy for 1M, who bats RH, and let Schoop start the year in AAA.

Ditto. This decision seems pretty straightforward to me. We have other concerns which will require us going outside the organization. This one I think is already solved.

Well we might find out by this time next year.

Feel free to bring it up if I am wrong.

Well, it's not a very fair bet, given how low Nick has set the bar this year. It's hard to imagine NOT exceeding a .680 OPS by a fair bit next year. If you want to call that a bump, so be it.

Well, it's not a very fair bet, given how low Nick has set the bar this year. It's hard to imagine NOT exceeding a .680 OPS by a fair bit next year. If you want to call that a bump, so be it.

I was talking of a significant bump. Somewhere in the neighborhood of his 3rd best season by WAR.