jamalshw

Is it too early to plan for 2014?

Now that we are officially eliminated, I find myself not caring about the last 5 games at all. I will likely watch them, but with only passing interest. I now find myself thinking about what I want to see from the Orioles this off season.

The easy answer to that is I want to see dedication to winning. I want to see DD go out and make significant moves to improve the team rather than minimal moves to add depth and keep as much of the team in tact as possible, which was his plan last season.

From looking over the salaries already on the books for 2014 and coupling that with my anticipated raises in arbitration for the likes of Wieters and Davis (and others), I think we'll have about $15-18M in spending money to get the Orioles back to their current salary. (NOTE: This figure is based on the thought--albeit, likely flawed--that we will NOT be tendering Johnson a contract and will need to resign him to keep him). I would love for the Orioles to top $100M for the first time, but would be happy if they'd simply keep the payroll at where it is now (the end of 2013).

The way I see it, we have a few significant needs. We need more stable pitching and a much better OBP to go along with filling some holes created by free-agency. Positionally, I see the needs as:

1. LF - I would love to see us knock out this position and our OBP needs in one move and sign Shin-Soo Choo. While this would be awesome, it would likely take the entire budget and leave us with peanuts to fill the other needs.

2. SP - We need a solid starter to top the rotation alongside Tillman. I believe Chen, Gonzalez, Norris, Gausman, Britton (etc) can piece together a solid 3-5 in a rotation (and add depth to the bullpen), but am concerned that a solid #1/2 is needed. A Bronson Arroyo type is a feasible short-term option. Ervin Santana would be nice, too, but both may be too pricy.

3. DH vs. RHP - I like Valencia as half of a platoon and a bat off the bench against LHP, but we need another guy. I actually wouldn't mind trying a guy like David Murphy here. He'd be cheap and could be a bounce-back guy. I'd love McCann to split time with Wieters and cover both C/DH, but that is even too outrageous for a dream situation.

4. 2B - This is one that will need to be filled internally. I can see Flaherty holding down the spot for a bit until Schoop is ready. I don't know if I'd to outside the organization for this as there are enough expensive holes to fill.

5. Closer - Since my scenario has us non-tendering Johnson, we'll need to fill the closer role somehow. I'd rather not re-sign him or pick-up any high priced, 'proven' closer. I think trying an internal option (Hunter, maybe) would be the better and most cost-efficient option.

No, it's not. They must be planning 2014 since last year. Or they should have been.

Most business operate on a three-to-five year plan.

I wouldn't not be surprised, if DD, doesn't have something like that for himself.

Now that we are officially eliminated, I find myself not caring about the last 5 games at all. I will likely watch them, but with only passing interest. I now find myself thinking about what I want to see from the Orioles this off season.

The easy answer to that is I want to see dedication to winning. I want to see DD go out and make significant moves to improve the team rather than minimal moves to add depth and keep as much of the team in tact as possible, which was his plan last season.

From looking over the salaries already on the books for 2014 and coupling that with my anticipated raises in arbitration for the likes of Wieters and Davis (and others), I think we'll have about $15-18M in spending money to get the Orioles back to their current salary. (NOTE: This figure is based on the thought--albeit, likely flawed--that we will NOT be tendering Johnson a contract and will need to resign him to keep him). I would love for the Orioles to top $100M for the first time, but would be happy if they'd simply keep the payroll at where it is now (the end of 2013).

The way I see it, we have a few significant needs. We need more stable pitching and a much better OBP to go along with filling some holes created by free-agency. Positionally, I see the needs as:

1. LF - I would love to see us knock out this position and our OBP needs in one move and sign Shin-Soo Choo. While this would be awesome, it would likely take the entire budget and leave us with peanuts to fill the other needs.

2. SP - We need a solid starter to top the rotation alongside Tillman. I believe Chen, Gonzalez, Norris, Gausman, Britton (etc) can piece together a solid 3-5 in a rotation (and add depth to the bullpen), but am concerned that a solid #1/2 is needed. A Bronson Arroyo type is a feasible short-term option. Ervin Santana would be nice, too, but both may be too pricy.

3. DH vs. RHP - I like Valencia as half of a platoon and a bat off the bench against LHP, but we need another guy. I actually wouldn't mind trying a guy like David Murphy here. He'd be cheap and could be a bounce-back guy. I'd love McCann to split time with Wieters and cover both C/DH, but that is even too outrageous for a dream situation.

4. 2B - This is one that will need to be filled internally. I can see Flaherty holding down the spot for a bit until Schoop is ready. I don't know if I'd to outside the organization for this as there are enough expensive holes to fill.

5. Closer - Since my scenario has us non-tendering Johnson, we'll need to fill the closer role somehow. I'd rather not re-sign him or pick-up any high priced, 'proven' closer. I think trying an internal option (Hunter, maybe) would be the better and most cost-efficient option.

I would go somewhere in the 4/60 for Choo and would have no problem spending almost all of the off-season budget on him. This team is dying for OBP, and he would be a perfect fit in LF.

No, it's not. They must be planning 2014 since last year. Or they should have been.

Right. Planning is continual and ongoing process....or at least it should be.

Sounds like your plan involves spending a lot of PA's money. I wouldn't get my hopes up.

I would go somewhere in the 4/60 for Choo and would have no problem spending almost all of the off-season budget on him. This team is dying for OBP, and he would be a perfect fit in LF.

No Choo

4/60 for Hunter Pence

Why would you spend an equal amount of money on an inferior player?

Hunter is not inferior, not sure he is worth 15 mill a year.

Career .285 hitter and 25 HR and 94 RBIs is pretty decent.

[TABLE=class: sortable stats_table row_summable]

<tfoot>[TR=class: stat_total hl, bgcolor: #DADCDE]

[TD=colspan: 4, align: left]162 Game Avg.[/TD]

[TD=align: right]162[/TD]

[TD=align: right]686[/TD]

[TD=align: right]630[/TD]

[TD=align: right]87[/TD]

[TD=align: right]180[/TD]

[TD=align: right]34[/TD]

[TD=align: right]5[/TD]

[TD=align: right]25[/TD]

[TD=align: right]94[/TD]

[TD=align: right]14[/TD]

[TD=align: right]6[/TD]

[TD=align: right]50[/TD]

[TD=align: right]125[/TD]

[TD=align: right].285[/TD]

[TD=align: right].338[/TD]

[TD=align: right].475[/TD]

[TD=align: right].814[/TD]

[TD=align: right]119[/TD]

[TD=align: right]299[/TD]

[TD=align: right]16[/TD]

[TD=align: right]2[/TD]

[TD=align: right]0[/TD]

[TD=align: right]4[/TD]

[/TR]

</tfoot>[/TABLE]

I think you are right about the 15 M to play with. But they need to add some RP, a RH bat with power and OBP, a LH DH bat to go with Valencia, and another SP as least as good as Tillman. 15 M is not going to buy all that.

[/TR]

</tfoot>[/TABLE]

I like Pence but they are not going to spend all the money they have to play with on one player.

i don't believe the O's will add any players for over 10M. Its just no in the O's philosophy. I do think Chris Davis will get 11m.

[/TR]

</tfoot>[/TABLE]

He is absolutely inferior to Choo, which is what I was saying.

He is absolutely inferior to Choo, which is what I was saying.

not by the numbers, very close.

[TD=align: right]699[/TD]

[TD=align: right]594[/TD]

[TD=align: right]95[/TD]

[TD=align: right]171[/TD]

[TD=align: right]38[/TD]

[TD=align: right]20[/TD]

[TD=align: right]81[/TD]

[TD=align: right]7[/TD]

[TD=align: right]85[/TD]

[TD=align: right]146[/TD]

[TD=align: right].289[/TD]

[TD=align: right].389[/TD]

[TD=align: right].466[/TD]

[TD=align: right].855[/TD]

[TD=align: right]134[/TD]

[TD=align: right]276[/TD]

[TD=align: right]9[/TD]

[TD=align: right]15[/TD]

[TD=align: right]1[/TD]

[TD=align: right]6

[/TD]

[/TR]

</tfoot>[/TABLE]

not by the numbers, very close.

[TD=align: right]699[/TD]

[TD=align: right]594[/TD]

[TD=align: right]95[/TD]

[TD=align: right]171[/TD]

[TD=align: right]38[/TD]

[TD=align: right]81[/TD]

[TD=align: right]7[/TD]

[TD=align: right]85[/TD]

[TD=align: right]146[/TD]

[TD=align: right].289[/TD]

[TD=align: right].389[/TD]

[TD=align: right].466[/TD]

[TD=align: right].855[/TD]

[TD=align: right]134[/TD]

[TD=align: right]276[/TD]

[TD=align: right]9[/TD]

[TD=align: right]15[/TD]

[TD=align: right]1[/TD]

[TD=align: right]6

[/TD]

[/TR]

</tfoot>[/TABLE]

The offense isn't close. We must be looking at different lines. I'm seeing 51 more points of OBP and 41 more points of OPS. Choo also is way ahead in the more advanced offensive metrics. Pence makes up some ground on defense but not enough. By bWAR, Choo has been worth 3 more wins in the the last 5 seasons.