Can_of_corn

Johnson Part of the Core

You wanna put a guy, Arrieta, who melts under the pressure of having to pitch with a runner on base into the closers role? Put him in the MOST stressful situations and expect him to be able to succeed?

Of all the stupid ideas you've had, this by FAR exceeds them all!

Arrieta had dominant stuff early and fell apart the second time through the order. Career wise, pitches 1-25 he had a .236/.294/.368/.662 line against.

Right, there's plenty of blame to go around, but unless I missed the memo we should not be spending $8 to $10 mil on relievers.

Unless, unless.... Ol' Pete is feeling his oats and has decided to open up his wallet because he wants that championship before he croaks. :boogie:

Next thing you will tell me that Bud Selig is going to retire. :rolleyes:

I would rather roll the dice with Wright for 500K and use the 8.5 million saving elsewhere.

That's a reasonable position if you can get a couple useful pieces for 8.5 million. It seems like you usually are better off spending 20 million and praying, or spending 2 million on like 10 different guys.

Arrieta had dominant stuff early and fell apart the second time through the order. Career wise, pitches 1-25 he had a .236/.294/.368/.662 line against.

He also had issues in high leverage situations.

Having closer stuff and having the ability, mentally to close are too total different things. He fell apart when runners got on base.

Remember saves are a useless stat. But we are gonna use nine blown saves as a reason to run him out of town and throw an already shaky pen into even more flux.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Saves is a worthless stat. Look at Jim Johnson Quality Save stat it's awful.

He also had issues in low leverage situations. And medium leverage situations...

Arrieta's problem was that he overthought things, and having 4 pitches to try to throw for strikes didn't help. Take away two of his pitches - the curve and change, have him just focus on his fastball and slider, and he could dominate IMO.

O'Day's platoon splits probably make him more of a matchup guy. The problem with a few of our relievers. From what I've seen, I wouldn't doubt Stinson could do it though.

O'day, Matusz, and Hunter are the closers. Matusz takes care of the lefties, Hunter and O'day take care of the rest. It's a 3 man closer by committee. This is what I vote for. If you have to change pitchers 3 times in the 9th, so be it.

O'day, Matusz, and Hunter are the closers. Matusz takes care of the lefties, Hunter and O'day take care of the rest. It's a 3 man closer by committee. This is what I vote for. If you have to change pitchers 3 times in the 9th, so be it.

Then who would you pitch in the 6th, 7th, and 8th? TJ and Stinson?

The question to me is whether it is this year or last year that is the anomaly for JJ. He had a couple years when he was lights out as our top setup guy, and 2012 as one of the top closers in the league (despite unconventional stuff). I happen to think 2013 was an off year, due to a combination of overuse and bad luck, and his true value is probably somewhere in between.

One thing I really didn't like about JJ this year was his fielding. At 9 million a year, if that's what it turns out to be, I want someone who can field the position. He let a bunch of lead runners get on due to fielding mistakes in pressure situations and to me that indicates mental weakness.

Then who would you pitch in the 6th, 7th, and 8th? TJ and Stinson?

I thought the same thing. We will need to find guys who can handle those innings. I'm sure we already have a few, but we need a few more upgrades to the bullpen. Stinson looks decent. The days of having just 1 closer be successful in the AL East is over! Why can't people realize this?

They must be weighing rick vs cost and think it makes sense. I'm ok with it but there's no reason to marry yourselves to him now when you've got the offseason coming up and other options available, for less.

Fangraphs is going to undervalue him because Fangraphs WAR doesn't really like pitch-to-contact pitchers who have above-average skills at avoiding hard contact. B-R has him at 2.4, 2.7, and 1.5 wins over the past 3 years.

This. JJ definitely has the ability to induce soft contact on grounders.

That said, unless they significantly increase payroll we shouldn't be paying JJ 8M to be an averagish closer.