OriolesManiac88

Chris Davis tested positive for amphetamines. (25 Game Ban)

Why did he do it?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Why did he do it?

• ADHD
    • Performance

Alright, I'll delete this post if no one can be arsed to respond to it, but what effect do amphetamines have on a hitter-- is the idea that they help him to lift more in the gym and thus accelerate muscle growth, which of course translates to added power? That is it is as serious a performance enhancer as other PEDs?

You know, to save myself reading the 25 pgs...

When HOF discussions come up and they devolve into a PED argument it's often pointed out that guys like Hank Aaron and Willie Mays used amphetamines. The counter-point is usually that "greenies and other amphetamines aren't really PEDs, they're the same as drinking six cups of coffee without having to go the head so much."

I think that's pure BS trying to salvage the reputation of childhood heros, and they pretty obviously improve concentration and focus, as well as keeping you alert and awake through a long season of late nights.

• Upvote 1

How the hell do these players end up not getting their paperwork in and taking the drug anyway? This isn't the first time. How hard can it be to just Follow The Rules!?

Kind of sucks that the two highest HR seasons for the Os will now be suspect. Very disappointed in CD. Hope the Orioles can overcome this like all the other blows they have suffered this year.

Frank is still clean.

When HOF discussions come up and they devolve into a PED argument it's often pointed out that guys like Hank Aaron and Willie Mays used amphetamines. The counter-point is usually that "greenies and other amphetamines aren't really PEDs, they're the same as drinking six cups of coffee without having to go the head so much."

I think that's pure BS trying to salvage the reputation of childhood heros, and they pretty obviously improve concentration and focus, as well as keeping you alert and awake through a long season of late nights.

Probably true. Palmer is very disappointed. He does not know the circumstances.

I am not now nor have I ever been a supporter of players who have violated the Joint Drug Agreement. I am however a person who believes in forgiveness and second chances.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-baseball/24504793/mlb-mlbpa-announce-upgrades-to-joint-drug-agreement

I have been a BIG Chris Davis fan. Even in his struggles this season, I continually said what a good guy he is and a fan friendly player. I also believe in forgiveness and second chances. But it just REALLY stings when someone openly and knowingly cheats the game, and puts his teammates in a bad situation.

If Jeter did this, or Pedroia, or Batista, or Longoria, we would be KILLING them, so lets not just look the other way because this cheater has an Orioles uniform on.

I'll forgive him quickly and move on, but I sure hope this doesn't have a negative effect on his teammates and on our quest for a Championship this season!

What concerns me is the possibility of undue pressure on the MLB doctors to find exemptions unwarranted. I imagine that if a MLB doctor came back and said that 100% of the prior exemptions reviewed were warranted (even if this was medically correct), said doctor would be perceived as not having done their job, as the assumption is that there are unwarranted exemptions. I wonder if the MLB doctors are available to the players. It would certainly make things easier if a player could go directly to one of them instead of finding themselves in a situation where Doctor A says you need this and MLB doctor says no you don't.

In fairness, athletes, like any other person, are entitled to their own medical care, not MLB contracted employees who are not treating them and are employed by the workplace for monitoring purposes. MLB can certainly ban certain drugs or substances it deems are not appropriate for their workplace, however,there would seem to always have to be the need for individual exceptions and reviews. If the individual can't function in their workplace due to a medical condition not being treated (because the drug is banned), it would seem that the Americans with Disabilities Act may have relevance to the situation. Just like other workplace related medical/health issues, it can

be a very complicated situation. I hope it all works out well for Chris in terms

of his health and his career.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The way I look at it...

Yeah, it's a bad break for the time at a worse time. That does suck, and it's killing me. But the show must go on.

At the end of the day, I don't care one bit about Chris Davis' "legacy." About his 53 homers. About how other people will look at him and the O's. I really don't. I care about the World Series title - something that's still very much in reach in 2014. Let's go for it.

I have been a BIG Chris Davis fan. Even in his struggles this season, I continually said what a good guy he is and a fan friendly player. I also believe in forgiveness and second chances. But it just REALLY stings when someone openly and knowingly cheats the game, and puts his teammates in a bad situation.

If Jeter did this, or Pedroia, or Batista, or Longoria, we would be KILLING them, so lets not just look the other way because this cheater has an Orioles uniform on.

I'll forgive him quickly and move on, but I sure hope this doesn't have a negative effect on his teammates and on our quest for a Championship this season!

I like this post. Facts are: Knowingly Cheated, hurting the team, crushing the fans.

If this is true and not some false positive, you can pretty much kiss the Orioles post season chances goodbye. Not because Davis was such a force in the lineup, but because he was a "threat" to hit the ball out of the park even occasionally.What a HUGE disappointment to an already disappointing season. Im not even sure If I'd offer Davis a new contract when it came up. Big blow folks.

Wow just wow!

If a player isn't being treated for a medical condition and is using a prescription medication on his own, then I have no problems suspending player. But I got to say, I have a BIG problem with MLB telling players they can not have their medical conditions managed under the care of their physician.

Are diabetics not allowed to use insulin? Should players who suffer from depression be kept off their anti-depressant medications? Hypertensives are just supposed to give up their medications and risk stroke and the long term effects of vascular disease? MLB shouldn't be in any position to keep players from being able to manage their health under the care of a physician. Denying a human being medical treatment deemed necessary by their physician, seems like a pretty bad policy.

I wouldn't be killing any of them. This is a mistake, a loose end not tied up, an I not dotted. This is not cheating as far as I am concerned. This is an oversight. I am disappointed with the stupidity of it, but I don't judge him negatively for it. I have made far bigger mistakes than this in my life.