Frobby

This is nothing compared to 1969

Maybe expectations were different back then, and of course I wasn't there to witness it, but the '69 Os were three years removed from a WS title. So I find hard to believe that this years O's loss was nothing compared to '69.

Given the nature of baseball these days, and especially playing in the AL East with teams that can load up on FAs at the drop of a hat(NY, Boston) or draft really well (TB), I don't take for granted that we'll be in the playoffs again anytime soon.

I've also seen another of my teams win a championship recently, and then fail in the playoffs to what I believe was an inferior team. Believe me, it takes the sting out of losing quite a bit when you''ve won it all recently.

Maybe expectations were different back then, and of course I wasn't there to witness it, but the '69 Os were three years removed from a WS title. So I find hard to believe that this years O's loss was nothing compared to '69.

Given the nature of baseball these days, and especially playing in the AL East with teams that can load up on FAs at the drop of a hat(NY, Boston) or draft really well (TB), I don't take for granted that we'll be in the playoffs again anytime soon.

I've also seen another of my teams win a championship recently, and then fail in the playoffs to what I believe was an inferior team. Believe me, it takes the sting out of losing quite a bit when you''ve won it all recently.

Nothing compared to it. We were the best team and were beaten by a bunch of fools. I completely disagree with your second posit. And winning it all lasts for about a day. The parade is fun.

Losing is tough no matter how it happens. As someone who is old enough to have followed all of the series endings from 69 on, I can only say that since 1983, what has become very clear, is that a franchise and a game that we nearly owned at one point has become fickle. I once dreamed of the number of titles we would win with Cal and Eddie after 1983. This year hurts a lot, but it was a fantastic year and losing to the Royals who played fantastic and were better than the Orioles in every facet of the game, doesn't diminish the quality of the 2014 season.

But the lingering knowledge that future results are not guaranteed based on the past make the missed opportunity for the Orioles more painful, and the seized opportunity for the Royals more impressive. Proud and still....I like our guys!

Nothing compared to it. We were the best team and were beaten by a bunch of fools. I completely disagree with your second posit. And winning it all lasts for about a day. The parade is fun.

So you're saying that, back then O's fans were like Yankees/Red Sox fans now? :P

So you're saying that, back then O's fans were like Yankees/Red Sox fans now? :P

We could never be like that, but I did expect them to win every year. I started following sports in 1970, around the age of five or six and thought there must be something superior about the town of Baltimore because our sports teams were so good, especially the Orioles.

I was born in '68 so '69 might as well been '39 for me. But the 1979 World Series was still worse than this. They blew a 3-1 lead for the World Championship and I can still hear that damn "We Are Family" in my head.

AARRRRGHHHHHH!!!!! I lost a months worth of lunch money on that series. McGregor, Palmer, Flanny when we're up 3-1? NO WAY we can lose.

Ooops.

This KC disaster stings bad. It's been so long since we were that close, and I like(d) our chances against the Gigantes or Cards. I'm not even sure I'm going to watch the world series this year. Bah Humbug.

I know the day will come and I hear the magical "pitchers and catchers report", but for now screw 'em all.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Orioles Information

Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2021 Minor League Depth Chart

2021 Prospect Power Rankings

2020 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2020 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats

• Was hoping this would happen by the end of the year. Hopefully he keeps up his hot start. If neither he nor Kjerstad drop off (certainly no sure thing), we could have 6 top 100 guys in the off-season (the 2021 #5 pick).
    • I’m still expecting offensive improvement over the remainder of the season but I must admit that the offense is worse than I thought it would be.     Mullins is far exceeding expectations but no one else is and a lot of players are below expectations.  Getting Santander back will be helpful, if he can start hitting and Mountcastle returning to form would be a huge boost. Just gotta wonder if we see improvement from C, 3rd and 2nd and if/when Mullins declines, how far is the drop?
    • Well, like I said, someone can go to Bowie. Between Henderson, Ortiz or Westburg, we can have someone in AA.  You can argue that either or all of them could be there imo. But generally speaking, you are correct. To me, it’s more important for Henderson and Westburg to play as much at SS as they can.  We need to figure out if those guys can stay there.  You should have some very solid idea by the end of the year...and perhaps, they already know but just in case you they don’t, you should be using this year to be sure. You know guys like Ortiz and Servideo can play SS, at least from the info we have heard.  If they have to play second base or the OF some this year while you figure out Henderson and Westburg, so be it.
    • My mental image of the 1960s is that it was a lot of low scoring pitchers duels with a lot of little shortstops bunting and stealing bases.  But the stealing bases part is all wrong.  In 1966 the Orioles had the best offense in the league and stole 55 bases all year, caught 41 times. The only teams to steal 100 bases were the White Sox and A's, and both of them were within 0.02 runs of being the worst offenses in the AL. In '66 the average AL team stole four fewer bases than the average AL team in 2019. In 1964 the Orioles were 4th in the majors in steals, but Luis Aparicio was the only player on the team with more than four.  Luis led the AL in steals nine straight years, but those included totals of 21, 28, 29, 31, and 40.
    • Can’t really argue with any of these on their own merits, but you do then face the question of how you reallocate the playing time to account for these changes.   For example, Joey Ortiz is hitting .295/.404/.458 at Aberdeen.   Good, but not necessarily promotion material at this early stage.    So what do you do with his playing time if Henderson and Westburg are suddenly both in Aberdeen as well?     Adam Hall is off to a slow start there, but are you going to demote him when he already played a full, successful season at Delmarva in 2019?     These are tricky decisions.   I can’t disagree with the idea that you look at the players who are most likely to be successful major leaguers, and when they are ready to move up a level, you move them up regardless of who else that affects.   But, it does make things more complicated when you’ve got other decent prospects who are going to lose playing time if a promotion is made.   
    • “Single-A Delmarva infielder Gunnar Henderson was named Low-A East League Player of the Week after going 10-for-23 (.435) with four doubles, a home run, 13 RBIs and seven runs scored.” https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2021/05/diaz-going-on-injured-list-santander-completes-assignment.html
    • Because a lot of people don’t want to go out to “enjoy themselves” while wearing those stupid masks.  Once Hogan said no more masks, that was good enough. I went to the store yesterday and almost everyone was still wearing them.  If that’s how it’s going to be, that’s fine.  It’s your choice.  I am just glad I have the option to not wear them.  
  • Popular Contributors