isestrex

Would you have matched SEA offer to keep Cruz an Oriole?

Would you have matched 4y/$57M for Cruz?  

160 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Would you have matched 4y/$57M for Cruz?

• Yes, that's reasonable
    • No, let the Mariners have him.

If given the chance, would you have paid 4y/$57M for Cruz if he came back and asked the Orioles to match?

No. I like him but too much money and too many years. IMO

Per fangraphs, over the last four years at ages 30-33 Cruz was worth about $40 mm. Why would I think he'd be worth $57 mm at ages 34-37?

Per fangraphs, over the last four years at ages 30-33 Cruz was worth about $40 mm. Why would I think he'd be worth $57 mm at ages 34-37?

Health.

Also, I'd expect that he'll have fewer days suspended.

In case you're wondering, that's not age related. :eek:

Apologies if it's been asked and/or answered before, but what is the O's draft pick compensation going to be?

This.

Lets go find some value for the OF.

Nick Markakis' agent has to be happy the bar has been set this high.

Also, I'd expect that he'll have fewer days suspended.

In case you're wondering, that's not age related. :eek:

Apologies if it's been asked and/or answered before, but what is the O's draft pick compensation going to be?

We get the no. 21 overall pick. Last year we gave up the no. 59 overall pick.

Your point about the suspension is valid enough, that was probably worth .7 WAR in 2013. I'll still assume that Father Time is going to have pretty significant impact on Cruz over the next four seasons.

We get the no. 21 overall pick. Last year we gave up the no. 59 overall pick.

Your point about the suspension is valid enough, that was probably worth .7 WAR in 2013. I'll still assume that Father Time is going to have pretty significant impact on Cruz over the next four seasons.

Our comp pick is between the 1st and 2nd round, not where SEA would've picked.

Our comp pick is between the 1st and 2nd round, not where SEA would've picked.

I see. Seattle loses their pick, but it doesn't go to the O's. The O's just get the supplemental pick.

My answer to the poll question depends on what they do to replace his bat. If they manage to make a good trade for Kemp, I'll give them a thumbs up. But if they don't get a reliable middle of the lineup bat, I give them a thumbs down. It's the combination of moves that's more important than the individual moves, imo.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Orioles Information

Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats

• I think this is it? https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/1320228109535367168?s=20
    • Yep, I've felt that way for several years now. I don't blame teams pursuing optimal strategies for their success, and that has what has led to this.  But the unintended consequences is that the game is less interesting to a lot of fans, and that doesn't bode well for the future of the game. I was never a huge tennis fan but I enjoyed it back in the Borg/Connors/McEnroe era.  But the players got stronger and the rackets better and the game became about super hard serves for aces and not as much about great volley points.  I lost all interest in watching men's tennis. And I think a lot of others lost interest too.  There was a time when the weekly or biweekly tennis tournament, even when it wasn't a major, at least got mentioned on the sports page or SportsCenter.  Like the nonmajor golf tournaments still do.  Not anymore.  To any casual or even fairly dedicated sports fan, nothing even exists but the majors anymore. I'd hate to see baseball just drift off and disappear into obscurity like that in 30 or 40 years.  Lucky for me it's unlikely I'll live that long.
    • I would have said “Stevie” at the end of Summer Camp. But Valaika put on an impressive power show this season. 
    • I could not have said it better myself, and I have tried. Well said!
    • Been thinking about last night's game.  For me, it was a great reminder that baseball is at its best, most exciting and most entertaining when a ball is put in play with runners on base: fielders reacting to the batted ball, runners reacting to the fielders, fielders reacting to the runners, runners ignoring the coaches, everyone making split-second decisions  based on their estimates of their and their opponents' ability and their own, taking into account the score and the inning. No other sport has that kind of panoramic activity and uncertainty, with so many possible outcomes.  I'll take that kind of action over a launch-angle ball hit 10 rows into the stands, followed by meaningless trotting around the basis, any day. Baseball is losing that excitement, and nobody in authority seems to care.    
    • Maryland football is the biggest joke in the Big Ten now that Rutgers looks decent.  Losing 43-3 to freakin’ Northwestern might be an all-time low for this program.     Locksley has to be the worst coach in a power five conference.  Never should’ve fired Durkin, or even Matt Canada.  What are the odds Locksley ever wins 5 games like Canada did in his only year here?  What are the odds Locksley ever wins another game as coach of the Terps?
    • Yes, that’s my feeling as well. I was just wondering if there was a clear favorite among the group.
  • Popular Contributors