Babypowder

O's Offer to Davis Off the Table

Yes, hitting home runs (or a soccer ball, throw a football, hit 3's, and so on) is such a valuable tool in today's world and he/she will be sooooo useful when he/she retires at 40 +,-. Keep in mind the charitable work they may or not do was paid by fans via ticket sales, souvenirs, MLB sponsors. The 1 in 9,000,000 apparently doesn't apply to oh, let's say scientists discovering cures for various diseases or disabilities, discovery of environmentally friendly fuels and so on. I love baseball, the game, I don't care for baseball the business at the owner or player level that takes the live game away from the general population. So, when fans here discuss $ value/WAR, I often wonder the $ value/ life saved by a cop, fireman, or a the discovery of a new drug that puts cancer into remission. Just put a perspective on it. Does sport have an effect on the economy? Certainly. But to think CD is worth $400,000 /week for 7 years because he can hit a ball 400 feet is a bit absurd IMO.

The fact is that A LOT of people enjoy baseball, the game. They go to games, watch on TV, buy merchandise, and participate in online message boards. Eyeballs=$.

It speaks to our misguided society. At the end of the day I'm a staunch supporter of capitalism' date=' but damn! I'm retired and OK financially but the school I volunteer at has teachers making nothing. When I read a thread about Manny being worth $30M per year I go a little nuts.[/quote']

If you're a staunch supporter of capitalism, then you should have made peace with this long ago.

It speaks to our misguided society. At the end of the day I'm a staunch supporter of capitalism' date=' but damn! I'm retired and OK financially but the school I volunteer at has teachers making nothing. When I read a thread about Manny being worth $30M per year I go a little nuts.[/quote']

I am certainly no sociologist, but I believe there are some that would argue that sports are an extremely important part of society. They help fuel the economy and help provide a sense of group identity.

This may not justify the enormous salaries that we are talking about here, but I don't think the money is just thrown away either. So, as Weams has suggested, the top tier are compensated quite well. Meanwhile, little leaguers are compensated with fruit snacks by the team mom for allowing their parents to live vicariously through them.

• Upvote 1

Yes, hitting home runs (or a soccer ball, throw a football, hit 3's, and so on) is such a valuable tool in today's world and he/she will be sooooo useful when he/she retires at 40 +,-. Keep in mind the charitable work they may or not do was paid by fans via ticket sales, souvenirs, MLB sponsors. The 1 in 9,000,000 apparently doesn't apply to oh, let's say scientists discovering cures for various diseases or disabilities, discovery of environmentally friendly fuels and so on. I love baseball, the game, I don't care for baseball the business at the owner or player level that takes the live game away from the general population. So, when fans here discuss $ value/WAR, I often wonder the $ value/ life saved by a cop, fireman, or a the discovery of a new drug that puts cancer into remission. Just put a perspective on it. Does sport have an effect on the economy? Certainly. But to think CD is worth $400,000 /week for 7 years because he can hit a ball 400 feet is a bit absurd IMO.

Then don't watch it. You have that big of a problem with their salaries, don't support it.

He's worth that because that's what he's being paid. Like it or not, that is the result of a capitalist society.

I find it funny that you're taking the moral high ground here because he didn't sign for 150M, but if he had I'm pretty certain you wouldn't have mentioned it.

• Upvote 1

Then don't watch it. You have that big of a problem with their salaries, don't support it.

He's worth that because that's what he's being paid. Like it or not, that is the result of a capitalist society.

I find it funny that you're taking the moral high ground here because he didn't sign for 150M, but if he had I'm pretty certain you wouldn't have mentioned it.

Wow, I got that psycho analysis without costing me a penny. I guess that tells me your capitalistic worth.

• Upvote 1

According to Roch.

DD and the Front Office has formally taken the offer on the table.

The Owner has left the door cracked open for Boras, in hopes that something can be worked out.

Most people in the warehouse are fine with removing the offer and not looking back, and that's been the case since the Winter Meetings. It was there, he declined it, end of story. But managing partner Peter Angelos is leaving the door cracked. It's his call, and he's still willing to take them from Boras. He's still hopeful that Davis will lose patience and push for a deal to get done.

90 years ago someone told Babe Ruth he made more than the president. It's

always been that way. Sports players make more than teachers, policeman, EMT's

fireman. I just accept it. Sports is entertainment. I guess if you don't like it

don't have to go.

fireman. I just accept it. Sports is entertainment. I guess if you don't like it

don't have to go.

Not to mention, how many teachers are there out there and how many Machado's are there out there? They say that given perfect conditions (class size, funding, materials etc) the best teacher can really only put their students about .5 of a year ahead of the curriculum. And besides test scores its hard to actually quantify a teachers effect on students (teaching them life lessons etc). Meanwhile, ball players worth are [almost] completely based on stats. Pretty easy to assign value.

In a lot of situations the top 750 in the world in any area are paid well. Not that they are good people. The top 750 businessmen are all billionaires. In fact the top 1645 are. I don't think those folks are more valuable than the first responders and doctors either.

And to add to this I guarantee they are not the happiest 1645 people in this world as well. There are only so many houses, cars, jewels, etc you can buy. They have as much disappointment as the rest of us. It just isn't financially related.

don't have to go.

Babe Ruth made $5,000 more than the President when that quote occurred (about $69,000 in today's currency). If Davis eventually gets a contract that pays $20 million per year (or more), his salary will be about $19,600,000 (or more) than what the President now makes.

The issue isn't just that celebrities and athletes make "more" or "a lot." The issues are "how much more" and "what constitutes a lot"?

IMO, we should all feel a bit gross for contributing (directly and indirectly) to a system that gathers and redistributes such massive amounts of money for the sake of "entertainment." There are far worse things, of course, but the cash flowing into/around the entertainment industry is just laughable.

Babe Ruth made $5,000 more than the President when that quote occurred (about $69,000 in today's currency). If Davis eventually gets a contract that pays $20 million per year (or more), his salary will be about $19,600,000 (or more) than what the President now makes.

The issue isn't just that celebrities and athletes make "more" or "a lot." The issues are "how much more" and "what constitutes a lot"?

IMO, we should all feel a bit gross for contributing (directly and indirectly) to a system that gathers and redistributes such massive amounts of money for the sake of "entertainment." There are far worse things, of course, but the cash flowing into/around the entertainment industry is just laughable.

Yeah I don't feel bad or gross. They all put hard work in just like me. They just get compensated more and I don't begrudge them for that, or feel bad for contributing to it.

I understand completely what you are saying, but I feel like I get more than my money's worth from attending games and watching them on TV. So, it's really just a choice between whether the money is going to end up in the pockets of the players or the owners.

Yeah I don't feel bad or gross. They all put hard work in just like me. They just get compensated more and I don't begrudge them for that, or feel bad for contributing to it.

That's your prerogative. Again, IMO, there're too many other people with too many other, unmet, basic needs to feel 100%, unabashedly, unblinkingly, inextricably OK with the premiums our society places on being entertained. I'm not telling you to run to a charity and dispense with all your worldly possessions, but $20 million dollars for anything is borderline-insane, regardless of whether the wage earner worked "hard."

I understand completely what you are saying, but I feel like I get more than my money's worth from attending games and watching them on TV. So, it's really just a choice between whether the money is going to end up in the pockets of the players or the owners.

Unfortunately, that does seem to be the choice.

Not to mention, how many teachers are there out there and how many Machado's are there out there? They say that given perfect conditions (class size, funding, materials etc) the best teacher can really only put their students about .5 of a year ahead of the curriculum. And besides test scores its hard to actually quantify a teachers effect on students (teaching them life lessons etc). Meanwhile, ball players worth are [almost] completely based on stats. Pretty easy to assign value.

Wow.....just amazing.

First of all my initial post was to simply help people understand how much 150/7 years means. We toss terms like millions, billions and trillions and really have no idea of what it is in more normal numbers. We see on TV of hand offs of a million dollars in 20's in a small suitcase. $400,000/week for seven years gives people a greater understanding in more understandable terms. Yes, I do understand that athletes (and entertainers) make a lot of money. I do not expect teachers, cops, firemen, nurses and so on to be paid accordingly despite their greater worth to society as a whole. So, yes you can use stats to place a value on a ballplayer, but the $'s/whatever is just tool, not a measure of worth to society. What has more importance in a time of need, a ballplayer that can hit the ball 400 feet forty times a year or a cardiac surgeon when you need one?

Secondly, people say it is just capitalism. Well, owners and CEO in a capitalist system generally are expected to make substantially more than their employees. Most here think PA should not make substantial profits...instead put it all back into the club. Yes, will make a significant profit when he sells the team, but over the years he has a lot more on his plate than any ballplayer.

If the O's win, win a WS I enjoy it, but the joy lasts a short while. I don't treat it as me winning, I don't brag about "my" team, because my only association is one of a fan, with no financial gain. The next day all is the same.