Sign in to follow this  
PressBoxOnline

Dan Connolly: For Now, Orioles Should Sacrifice Future For Present

If by help you mean eat up some innings than I agree with you.

Every team has a group of those players. The two most promising on your list were either traded away or blocked at his proper position by Dan.

If Dan trades Walker for something equally as good as some point, I would not be against that. And if he keeps him to replace Trumbo or Alvarez I will probably be ok with that also.

Yes the Orioles, like every other team, have a stable of guys able to come in and add replacement level value.

We didn't have guys who could come in and help the big club before DD got here. We had guys like Jo Jo Reyes, Chris Jakubauskas, and Clay Rapada to come up and help out. If it is so easy to have depth at AAA why didn't Andy Macphail bother with it.

The dye has been cast. I believe the O's should have read the tea leaves, kept their picks, and started planning for the future this off season. They didn't. Let's see what happens. We had one of the worst starting staffs in baseball last year. We replaced Chen with Gallardo. A lot of people think it will be better. We'll see.

We didn't have guys who could come in and help the big club before DD got here. We had guys like Jo Jo Reyes, Chris Jakubauskas, and Clay Rapada to come up and help out. If it is so easy to have depth at AAA why didn't Andy Macphail bother with it.

Andy was busy trying to get better than replacement level players on the big league club.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Orioles Information

Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2020 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2020 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats

• Good questions that have been debated on here quite a bit.  I'd say the following: 1.  Too many other variables to put into a true timeframe here.  Can of Corn and Sports Guy here kind of lead the charge that it shouldn't take 3-4 years of total MLB suckage to build a good system.  I tend to agree with them.  But you also have to take into account the talent doing the scouting and player selection, player development, etc.  I think those things are more important than tanking in MLB.  Not to mention your investment and return in international talent.  Good organizations find a way to have a good MLB team along with a good system. 2.  For some reason I've always seen the Cardinals as a parallel to Baltimore.  Not really sure why.  Maybe it's because we came from there.  Maybe because we're both birds.  Who knows.  Ideally I'm not a fan of the Tampa model.  Don't like the idea of continuously getting rid of good players.  If that's what it takes to win then I get it, and they've been successful with it, but I don't think that should be the case with Baltimore.  Be smart financially, but we shouldn't need to be misers. 3.  The economic landscape wouldn't be nearly so damaging if they'd just get rid of the stupid unbalanced schedule.  For Baltimore and TB to have to have a schedule so loaded against NYY, BOS and TOR is ridiculous.  Toronto is a sleeping giant financially.  
    • A fifty point bump seems like a lot, but I'd guess that they're now using batted ball data that has much quicker, smaller stabilization samples?
    • Stewart has looked real good going back to last season. It might make sense to bat him 2nd. Stewart is LH and Mullins is on base a lot this season. Plus Stewart is patient and having good ABs. We could manufacture some more runs with that 1-2 combo. 
    • We gotta stop falling apart against the Yankees. It’s going to be real fun to watch that moment when we turn the corner against them.  
    • “Mom and Dad, do you want your kids to end up like Chris Davis?  Well, better just give them the Aderall now, and not mess around with the Vyvanse. Little Johnny will fail the 7th grade otherwise.” -Every Psychiatrist 
    • I went Opening Day. I had a great experience.    Pros: - No traffic because the Pandemic.  - The lot under the bridge by the train was only $10 and took cash.  - No lines for the bathroom or when you enter the stadium.  - The staff there was really cool and you could tell that they were going the extra mile to make everyone comfortable.    Cons: - No Vendors in the stands. Such as beer man. (Hope Clarence is aight) - Long concession lines. Be smart and plan accordingly.  - The hand sanitizer machines were mostly empty that they had strategically placed.  Now what everyone is worried about. Mask wearing. Most people were very cool the entire time. The staff has even little paddle signs that they raise near someone to get them to put their mask on. I will say once I switched to the lower bowl at the end of the game, it was as if COVID never existed. The people in the cheap seats were 95% wearing masks at all times. Behind 1st base was about 25%. 
    • It seems like that the only possible way that the O’s (or most teams for that matter) can compete is by building an elite farm system.  Given how hard and how slow that process is, I wanted to ask the O’s experts on here a few simple question for discussion:   1. how long would you estimate that it takes for a team to go from a mediocre/poor farm system, to a system that has produced enough major league talent to win in the AL east?  Additionally, how long in your opinion does the pro club need to suck while building the farm. 2. is there a team that you would prefer that the O’s model their approach after?  Is it Tampa?  Toronto? St. Louis?  I think the Tampa model is the most brutally efficient, but I can’t see many people truly being happy with that model in the long haul (getting rid of good players while value is high, rarely spending a dollar in FA). 3. do you like the financial model of baseball as opposed to other professional leagues?  Baseball has always been my favorite sport, but it really seems to favor the larger market teams in the end.  Not that smaller market teams can’t compete, it’s just that every year it seems the larger market teams win.  I know there are some poor large market orgs, but I personally get disinterested when I see how imbalanced the competitive landscape can be at times.  
  • Popular Contributors