PressBoxOnline

Kevin Gausman, Dylan Bundy -- Primed & Ready

1 hour ago, CheeryO said:

It's easy to forget Erik Bedard too.  He's the most recent great Oriole starter, though his greatness was short lived.  He was also traded, though of course his trade was one of the best moves the O's ever made.  If either Gausman or Bundy can approach Bedard's peak performance then we should be quite happy.  Hopefully they will both have more longevity than Bedard.

When we say "poor development" was the problem with Arrieta, what does that mean exactly?  He had developed enough to pitch great for the Cubs less than a year after he left the O's.  It just seems like the O's coaching staff was not letting Arrieta throw the pitches and be the pitcher he needed to be to pitch his best.  Is that the case?  If so that's partly what I mean by lack of patience.  But of course this is all in hindsight.

I think you've described the problem correctly, but I wouldn't define not letting a pitcher throw what he's comfortable with a "lack of patience."    It took the Cubs about two weeks to fix him.    

On Bedard, I agree he was for a two year span our best pitcher since Mussina.    I think Gausman and Bundy will have better careers.   Bedard was great when healthy, but unfortunately wasn't healthy very often.    I'm hoping for better luck with these two, though nobody knows if they'll hold up.

Arrieta also developed a nasty cutter which gave him the movement that he lacked with his four seam fastball.  National league umps routinely give him strike calls at or slightly below the knees and it's a virtually unhittable pitch.  I think he picked it up immediately from Cubs special instructor now pitching coach Chris Bosio.

On 2/17/2017 at 0:12 AM, Norfolk orioles said:

They are the most exciting young potential studs we've had in decades.

Not sure if that says more about how awful are starting pitching was for decades or is high praise for them but either way I'm excited for (hopefully) a full season of both.

10913c7330efc5c56f2476fc5f475b510ebe1cce

1 hour ago, Say O! said:

Arrieta also developed a nasty cutter which gave him the movement that he lacked with his four seam fastball.  National league umps routinely give him strike calls at or slightly below the knees and it's a virtually unhittable pitch.  I think he picked it up immediately from Cubs special instructor now pitching coach Chris Bosio.

If I remember correctly the O's pitching staff forbade the throwing of cutters even though Arrieta had a very good cutter already.  I'm sure they had good reasons for not wanting their pitchers to throw cutters, but there is occasionally a reason not to choose moderation over abstinence.  Arrieta was maybe that reason.

Just now, CheeryO said:

If I remember correctly the O's pitching staff forbade the throwing of cutters even though Arrieta had a very good cutter already.  I'm sure they had good reasons for not wanting their pitchers to throw cutters, but there is occasionally a reason not to choose moderation over abstinence.  Arrieta was maybe that reason.

Minor leaguers.

6 hours ago, CheeryO said:

I believe you.  But then why did he become a great starter less than a year after he left the O's?  Did the Cubs coaching staff set him straight, or did they leave him alone to be himself?  What changed?

Arrieta has claimed one thing that helped him was when he started listening to ambient music like Fleet Foxes before a game rather than metal like Metallica or Pantera. Umm...okay.

And as C_o_C said, pilates. That too.

1 hour ago, InsideCoroner said:

Arrieta has claimed one thing that helped him was when he started listening to ambient music like Fleet Foxes before a game rather than metal like Metallica or Pantera. Umm...okay.

And as C_o_C said, pilates. That too.

Exactly, umm... okay.  Damn Baltimore coaches pushing heavy metal on our pitchers.  Maybe Bill Murray or Eddie Vedder suggested the freaking Fleet Foxes.

8 hours ago, CheeryO said:

Exactly, umm... okay.  Damn Baltimore coaches pushing heavy metal on our pitchers.  Maybe Bill Murray or Eddie Vedder suggested the freaking Fleet Foxes.

Guthrie is into boy bands.

o

9 OUTS: o 3 Strikeouts, 2 Groundouts, 2 Flyouts, 2 Lineouts 

DYLAN MATTHEW BUNDYo)o (vs. TIGERS, 3/06) )) [ [Spring Training] 

IP:;)..l) 3

H:))))l  2 (1 Double, 1 Single) ll

R:ll)lll) 0

BB:olll)0 

SO:l))l 3

Pitches: l) 38 0(27 Strikes, 11 Balls)

2017 ERA: l)  0.00 0(Spring Training)

PITCHES BY INNING