OriolesMagic83

Santander

The Murray comment... :)  While it's just one evaluator, it's still nice to read.   
Santander looks seriously legit, but others have had a great few months and then fell back to earth. 
We're all hoping this season is not a phantom one and he's a part of the future moving forward. 

Just pointing out how many of the great ones start young.  Murray had more games played by the end of his age 21 season than Santander will at the end of his age 24 season.

By the end of his age 24 season Murray had three top 10 MVP finishes under his belt.

I don't care for when they comp guys to players in the Hall.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Just pointing out how many of the great ones start young.  Murray had more games played by the end of his age 21 season than Santander will at the end of his age 24 seasons.

By the end of his age 24 season Murray had three top 10 MVP finishes under his belt.

I don't care for when the comp guys to players in the Hall.

Yeah, I’ll be happy if Santander has half the career Eddie did.  

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Just pointing out how many of the great ones start young.  Murray had more games played by the end of his age 21 season than Santander will at the end of his age 24 season.

Still better than Trout though...since June!  I read it on the internets.  In the off season we should trade him for the Angels.  All of em.

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I agree with what you said.  Of course there are many outstanding hitters that get started in their mid-20's and go on to have outstanding careers, though it's WAY too early to think along those lines as Santander's sample size is quite small. 

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Nelson Cruz didn't start hitting until 27.  JD Martinez until 26.  Melvin Mora 28.   Plenty of good careers from guys who started later.  

Unlike Smith Jr., Stewart, Wilkerson, Peterson, Broxton, and Mullins, Santander has earned a top spot in next season's depth chart of outfielders. That's quite a lot of progress for both his own development and the O's planning. Upcoming Trumbo departure and movement of Mancini to first are the other pertinent moves on the horizon, although the latter is a lot less certain to happen this off-season, unfortunately.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Just like to point out to those that are harping on Mountcastle's plate disciple issues...

Santander’s 16 walks are more than Mountcastle had in April - July combined.     But with the uptick in August for Mountcastle, his walk rate on the year is pretty comparable to Santander’s.    Of course, Santander has done it at the major league level and been successful overall so far.    

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Santander’s 16 walks are more than Mountcastle had in April - July combined.     But with the uptick in August for Mountcastle, his walk rate on the year is pretty comparable to Santander’s.    Of course, Santander has done it at the major league level and been successful overall so far.    

Sure but it is an issue for both.  Folks have been told to worry about it in one case and not the other.  I found it interesting that without outside prompting no one seemed to notice or care.

31 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Sure but it is an issue for both.  Folks have been told to worry about it in one case and not the other.  I found it interesting that without outside prompting no one seemed to notice or care.

Yeah, it's an issue for both but at least we're seeing Santander hit at the major league level.  Don't know if Mountcastle can.  I'm not saying we shouldn't give Mountcastle a shot, that would be silly but at the same time I'm not buying into the hype.  

Hopefully Mountcastle's walk rate continues to improve, but It'll be interesting to see when the OH boo birds start turning on him for high strikeouts and low walks if he can't.  

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

Yeah, it's an issue for both but at least we're seeing Santander hit at the major league level.  Don't know if Mountcastle can.  I'm not saying we shouldn't give Mountcastle a shot, that would be silly but at the same time I'm not buying into the hype.  

Hopefully Mountcastle's walk rate continues to improve, but It'll be interesting to see when the OH boo birds start turning on him for high strikeouts and low walks if he can't.  

After his first 0-4 game with 3 strikeouts. 

4 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

After his first 0-4 game with 3 strikeouts. 

Probably.

I just don't know why everyone's got their panties in a knot about making room for a guy who's got a good bat, questionable (at best) plate discipline and no position.  He should be a DH, that's it.  I don't care if the DH spot is traditionally looked at as a place where old but good hitters with bad knees go to die, we've seen so many traditional ways of going about things in baseball shattered over the past few years. 

If the Tampa Bay Rays can contend for a playoff berth with the opener strategy, no one can tell me that you can't take a young hitter who LOOKS ATHLETIC (I'm convinced that's why we're trying to find him a position, if he was a fatass like Vlad Jr, we'd be singing a different story) but can't hack it with the glove and just tell him to DH.  Focus on your hitting, stop worrying about your glove, get better at taking walks.  That's all he should be doing.  All this crap about trying to figure out where he's gonna play is trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.  

Anyway, back to Santander.  I've railed on here for years that Rule 5 picks are a waste.  I'm glad to see one work out.  I'll amend my stance to say that Rule 5 pitchers are a waste.