Jump to content
NedFromYork

What was our record in games Hays started?

Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, birdwatcher55 said:

If Mullins is ready, I'd like to see him given the LF job and move Mancini to right. Hopefully provide OBP and a little more speed at top of lineup. I think Hays could use a full season in AAA.

You may be setting yourself up for disappointment. Mullins' minor league OBP of .323 is just shy of major league average last year. It is likely to drop at the MLB level so Mullins probably is not the player to count on to provide OBP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Frobby said:

Mancini-level offense and above average defense works for me.  

I thought that he was saying that Hays was a finalist for MiLB player of the year and a top 100 prospect. With the expectations that have accumulated for him, it would be disappointing (in some measure) if all he accomplished was Mancini's results last year. 

Personally, if we had two players like that in the O's outfield for the next 5-6 years, I'd be thrilled.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

I thought that he was saying that Hays was a finalist for MiLB player of the year and a top 100 prospect. With the expectations that have accumulated for him, it would be disappointing (in some measure) if all he accomplished was Mancini's results last year. 

Personally, if we had two players like that in the O's outfield for the next 5-6 years, I'd be thrilled.  

I'm not sure anyone should be upset if Hays puts up Mancini-like offensive numbers in the big leagues. That would not be a disappointment at all, especially with his defense.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I'm not sure anyone should be upset if Hays puts up Mancini-like offensive numbers in the big leagues. That would not be a disappointment at all, especially with his defense.

I agree completely (I think that is what I was trying to convey). When is the last time the O's had two home grown outfielders who could each put up Mancini's numbers from last year?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jagwar said:

I thought that he was saying that Hays was a finalist for MiLB player of the year and a top 100 prospect. With the expectations that have accumulated for him, it would be disappointing (in some measure) if all he accomplished was Mancini's results last year. 

I think I'd be pretty happy with a 22-year-old outfielder who has a .830 OPS and a 2+ win season as a rookie making the jump from AA.

In modern Oriole history there have only been eight rookies with a 120+ OPS+ in 300 or more PAs: Bumbry, Gentile, Milligan, Blefray, Coggins, Grich, Murray, Young.  The Orioles have only had 18 rookies in 63 years who've been league average hitters in 300+ PAs.

(Sorry, somehow I clicked non-active players...my prior search excluded Markakis and Hyun Soo Kim in the average-hitting rookies, so it's really 20 in 63 years.)

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jagwar said:

I thought that he was saying that Hays was a finalist for MiLB player of the year and a top 100 prospect. With the expectations that have accumulated for him, it would be disappointing (in some measure) if all he accomplished was Mancini's results last year. 

Personally, if we had two players like that in the O's outfield for the next 5-6 years, I'd be thrilled.  

What? Dude finished 3rd in ROY and put up 2.2 WAR. Adam Jones is basically a 2-4 WAR player throughout his career.

To me, Hays is probably not going to hit 30 bombs in the big leagues like he did in the minors. He just doesn't really profile as a power hitter. I'm not sure what you're expecting him to do. He's not Adam Jones much less Mookie Betts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, interloper said:

What? Dude finished 3rd in ROY and put up 2.2 WAR. Adam Jones is basically a 2-4 WAR player throughout his career.

To me, Hays is probably not going to hit 30 bombs in the big leagues like he did in the minors. He just doesn't really profile as a power hitter. I'm not sure what you're expecting him to do. He's not Adam Jones much less Mookie Betts.

I think you misunderstood my post. I wasn't saying that I would be disappointed, but that CoC may have communicated that sentiment. 

I would love if Mancini and Hays played regularly, and each put up Mancini's numbers from last year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jagwar said:

I think you misunderstood my post. I wasn't saying that I would be disappointed, but that CoC may have communicated that sentiment. 

I would love if Mancini and Hays played regularly, and each put up Mancini's numbers from last year. 

Yeah, sorry, skimmed a little too quickly!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

I agree completely (I think that is what I was trying to convey). When is the last time the O's had two home grown outfielders who could each put up Mancini's numbers from last year?

Never? This is an organization that has not produced many impact bats over the last 40 years. Machado, Schoop, Mancini and we assume Hays shortly may be the best run of good positional players ever to come out of the system since the 1970s when the system was kicking out Bumbry, Grich, Baylor, Murray and DeCinces.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Tony-OH said:

Never? This is an organization that has not produced many impact bats over the last 40 years. Machado, Schoop, Mancini and we assume Hays shortly may be the best run of good positional players ever to come out of the system since the 1970s when the system was kicking out Bumbry, Grich, Baylor, Murray and DeCinces.  

 

It was basically a revelation that Brian Roberts came up through the system and did what he did, at the time, and then Markakis. There's a reason the fanbase treated Markakis like the second coming of Christ. We just hadn't seen a young rookie like that in years.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Never? This is an organization that has not produced many impact bats over the last 40 years. Machado, Schoop, Mancini and we assume Hays shortly may be the best run of good positional players ever to come out of the system since the 1970s when the system was kicking out Bumbry, Grich, Baylor, Murray and DeCinces.  

 

How could you exclude Cal Jr from this group? :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, interloper said:

What? Dude finished 3rd in ROY and put up 2.2 WAR. Adam Jones is basically a 2-4 WAR player throughout his career.

To me, Hays is probably not going to hit 30 bombs in the big leagues like he did in the minors. He just doesn't really profile as a power hitter. I'm not sure what you're expecting him to do. He's not Adam Jones much less Mookie Betts.

I wouldn't be so fast with that assessment on offense. i think Hays very well could end up with Adam Jones-like numbers in the major leagues. You can argue that Hays has more power at 22 than Jones did. I'm not saying Hays will become a right field Adam Jones, but Jones is not a bad comp for him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2021 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2021 Orioles Stats

2021 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






  • Posts

    • To be honest, I don’t care as much about that.  What I care about is the teams unwillingness to get better and still not care about winning.    Whether or not team X spends more or less than us is largely irrelevant to to me, although this does speak to the idea that they don’t care about winning.    
    • Cot's hasn't fixed their RIchie Martin row to reflect another year of club control instead of an Arb1 guess for 2022 based upon 2.110 days of service as of Opening Day 2022, but I think Frobby's research the Super 2 minimum number of days is ~115 is right.  I did notice checking Orioles Cot's again today to see if they had fixed Martin that a certain Ryan Mountcastle's "prorated to 162 fractional service days from 2020" land him at 1.105 entering 2022, and Arb1 not until his Age-27 season in 2024.    If the current rules continue to prevail, naturally...
    • You obviously don't like it when someone challenges something you have posted. Did you ever stop to think that you are too sensitive to be posting on a message board? Especially questionable posts?
    • Another fun fact: Tripper Johnson was Ryan Mountcastle’s agent when he signed with the O’s.   
    • Which could be true, but can you look at Kriske's stuff and Harvey's stuff and tell me why anyone would keep Kriske over Harvey, even with the injury history of Harvey? I don't have a huge issue with DFaing Harvey, but I would have done it during a time when it was the best chance to sneak him through waivers. Personally, i think they got made at him for saying what he said about getting hurt in rehab. Now grant it, the guy could break his own back stepping on a crack, but I wouldn't mind having him in the organization in the off chance he stays healthy.  Really, neither of these guys will be pitching regularly for a contending team in the major leaguers.
    • So what you want to happen MLB might do.  But what you don't want to happen MLB won't do. I don't trust Manfred.  If he can stick it to the O's he will.
    • It's pretty bad that the O's could be spending less than the Pirates. Every year around here Pirate fans whine about the owners keeping all the money for themselves instead of spending on the team. At least next year I might be able to make those fans feel better when I tell them that there's a team that spends less than the Pirates!
  • Popular Contributors

  • Popular Now

×
×
  • Create New...