murph

UMBC vs VA NCAA Tournery

Anyone watching this?   UMBC just held VA to a season low half of 21 and has them tied.   I am sure VA will make adjustments coming out of the half, but still an incredible half of defensive basketball by our local small school, almost showing up the best defensive team in the country.  

12 minutes ago, Elbren said:

UMBC is officially the only 16 seed to beat a 1 seed in NCAA history.  That's crazy.

I also didn't realize they were now in the ACC ... and won the ACC by four games ... and won the ACC tournament. lol  Quite the year for them.

lol Nevermind, ignore this.  I read it wrong.  Article was talking about Virginia, not UMBC.  Tells you how much I pay attention to college basketball.

As a UMBC alumni and staff member, words can't begin to describe the euphoria that I, and I'm sure many others are feeling.  Just getting into the tournament in the fashion they did on a last second 3 in the conference title game was enough.  Just having a lead at any point on UVA was enough, then having the game tied at the half.  But, never could I have seen the events of Friday night happening.  Never could I have imagined that the first team to do the borderline unthinkable of beating a #1 seed as a #16 seed would be my school.  But, it's something that I'll gladly cherish forever.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Orioles Information

Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2021 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2021 Orioles Stats

2021 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats

• Interesting that you keep bringing it up like it's a cause for concern.  Unless the cancer comes back, I think he's settled anything that has to do with his health. Next.
    • None of those comps are really that similar to Trey because he has the unique  situation of having stage 3 cancer and went through chemo.   Any GM offering a multi year contract must include that as a risk factor which may shorten the number of years a team may want to commit guaranteed money. That said I think Trey's value is low right now because of his second half of 2021.   With a normal off season of Trey being the worker that he is should allow him to have much better 2022.    I am very much in favor of signing Trey to a two year contract or a one year with an option year.   That way he is not a rental player this season and if he has a good 1st half that probably raise his value at the deadline or even over next winter.
    • It’s pretty hard to find good comps for Mancini, and I’d say his offensive performance in 2022 will have a lot of influence on his future value.   Mancini has a career OPS+ of 115.  Last year Kyle Schwarber was coming off a very bad 2020 (88 OPS+) but got a 1/$10 mm contract based on his career 113 OPS+.   This year he put up 148 OPS+ but in 113 games.   I’m hearing he may get 3/$60 mm.    David Peralta had a 115 OPS+ through 2019, when he signed an extension for 3/$22 mm.   He was a little older than Mancini; the extension covered his ages 32-34 seasons.  Mancini will be 30 this year.    Then you have a guy like Wil Myers who had a 110 OPS+ through 2016 including 115 OPS+ that year, and signed for 6/$83 mm including $22.5 mm/yr for three FA years.    Mark Trumbo had a career 113 OPS+ and was coming off his 47 homer, 122 OPS+ campaign when he signed for 3/$37.5 mm with the O’s.   Not clear he could have got close to that elsewhere.   Long and short, Mancini is in a sort of in-betweenish spot, and how he does in 2022 will matter a lot to his FA value.       
    • I honestly don't think the ravens win another game this season. Cleveland is coming off a bye and hasn't had to watch film on another team in three weeks. The Packers are on bye this week, will be well rested and will be seeing a secondary without 3 of its top 4 players. The Bengals barring a serious Burrow injury are playing well, with an elite level of offense, loss this week not withstanding. The Rams are pretty stacked and healthy. Maybe the ravens can get the steelers at home but I seriously doubt it.  At the end of the season they may be running out some players who weren't even in the league last week with the rate of their injuries.
  • Popular Contributors