Greg

Cobb to Orioles (Confirmed by Roch Kubatko)

5 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Which puzzles me, why so much hate on Mussina for accepting more money elsewhere? When clearly Angelos isn't innocent.

He had told the Orioles that he would give the club shot to match his top offer and when the Yankees played hardball and said "tell us right now," he did not. 

Just now, weams said:

He had told the Orioles that he would give the club shot to match his top offer and when the Yankees played hardball and said "tell us right now," he did not. 

You’re right, but he also was miffed that Angelos never made an offer instead of waiting.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

So, then don’t spend the money because the difference is negligible. Why I said I’d prefer Lynn at one year. Then, they wouldn’t have the money tied up for three years while the team is likely in a rebuild. Or, not using the “r” word, playing a bunch of kids as yet unproven at the ML level.

The other side of that is they made this commitment in a buyer's market.  4/60 for a fairly decent established starter isn't a lot of money.  If you want to be charitable and pretend his 2016 season didn't happen you could argue that his established level is as a 3-win pitcher.  In other recent offseasons three win pitchers have gotten more than 4/60.  My simple contract tool spits out 4/76 (although it's more like 4/40 if you use 2016 in establishing his performance level).

My concern is that his post-surgery performance is going to be more like his FIP last year - 4.16 in the NL.  2017 FIPs for the O's current rotation are 4.16, 4.48, 4.38, 6.93, and 4.61.  And this isn't a team full of defensive wizards helping the pitching staff beat their FIPs.

3 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

Also, remember Mussina had taken a team friendly deal just a few years earlier for which he was criticized by other players. 

Yes I do, very clearly, Braves pitcher was head of the Players Association called him out publically for it.

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, weams said:

And I should not have corrected myself based on this either. It is pick 52.

Still not a tremendous value difference between those two picks.  I'm still perfectly fine losing that for Cobb.

25 minutes ago, weams said:

My memory is, the Yankees gave him an offer, and the Orioles was slow to respond.

I seam to remember a pretty good Schmuck article in the Sun (Or Maybe Boswell and the Post) detailing the events.

24 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

So, then don’t spend the money because the difference is negligible. Why I said I’d prefer Lynn at one year. Then, they wouldn’t have the money tied up for three years while the team is likely in a rebuild. Or, not using the “r” word, playing a bunch of kids as yet unproven at the ML level.

They may not be proven at the ML level, but all of their most promising talent that's knocking at the ML door (Cisco, Hays, Mountcastle, Mullins, Stewart, etc.) are bats for the most part.  A stabilized rotation of Bundy-Gausman-Cobb with Cashner next year and Harvey joining the fold in the not-to-distant future may help keep the team competitive as those new guys step up.

5 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

My memory is, the Yankees gave him an offer, and the Orioles was slow to respond.

I seam to remember a pretty good Schmuck article in the Sun (Or Maybe Boswell and the Post) detailing the events.

No. He did not come back to the Orioles. It had nothing to do with slowness. He agreed while with the Yankees. 

1 minute ago, weams said:

No. He did not come back to the Orioles. It had nothing to do with slowness. He agreed while with the Yankees. 

The New York Yankees put right-hander Mike Mussina in pinstripes today, signing the Baltimore Orioles' best pitcher to a six-year, $88.5 million deal.

The Orioles' highest offer was for $78 million over six years, with $12 million deferred without interest. The Orioles' last contact with Mussina's agent, Arn Tellem, came on Friday, when majority owner Peter Angelos told him the Orioles would not improve their offer.

"There were plenty of opportunities along the way" for the Orioles to keep Mussina, Tellem said, "but those were not seized."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/sports/2000/12/01/mussina-joins-yankees/e630f311-c63e-4bf4-8464-df1947d9eabb/?utm_term=.2e369833b7dc

10 million apart, is not matching the offer.

56 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I hated Mussina after he left primarily because he went to the Yankees, who owned us. 

If he had gone to say the LA Dodgers, I would have rooted for him. I hated him when he went to the Yankees. 

8 minutes ago, jtschrei said:

I hated Mussina after he left primarily because he went to the Yankees, who owned us. 

If he had gone to say the LA Dodgers, I would have rooted for him. I hated him when he went to the Yankees. 

Why not hate PA instead for screwing him?