weams

Rich Dubroff: Joe Angel not returning.

3 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Steve has some minor league and college broadcast experience.

https://seminoles.com/steve-melewski-named-fsu-baseballs-new-play-by-play-announcer/

I have some college broadcasting experience too.   Once I was broadcasting a game between Duke and North Carolina.   UNC eventually built up an 18-3 lead and I said “well, four grand slams and we’re right back in this one!”

Broadcasting college baseball is hard because you don’t have all kinds of statistics, trivia and war stories you can use to fill the gaps in the game.

• Upvote 1

On 2/14/2019 at 6:34 PM, Carllamy said:

Joe Angel showed up on Roch Kubatko's and Jim Hunter's Hot Stove Show on 105.7 and made it official that he is retiring. With no mention of doing any games at all this year. He said he has been talking to the O's about retiring for several months, so apparently this was not a surprise to anyone.

Jim Hunter started to cry on the air - so I guess Joe angel is a helluva guy.

Joe did say that if he ever ends up in Cooperstown in the Broadcaster wing that he would have sure that his plaque had an Orioles hat.

Joe had been "hinting at retirement for four years."  Audio here.  FFWD to 13:45 mark
https://content.production.cdn.art19.com/episodes/a693e975-db15-42e3-b611-f3ddb1c5585d/d0c8e26f17a85dec57be0fee5ca9690e08009a901a000f4084235e4e596e627abc118b993cb2c498f224fb27884c9e5cef42a20bfcd8afd5978e49c7aaa11503/021419_bal_hot_stove.mp3

My take is that Joe said he wanted to retire and the O's said OK. Sort of like when that dinner guest says "I really should be going" and you say "let me find your coat" instead of "wait there is this scotch I have been meaning to open". No one seems to be pissed about it. I'm not pissed about it. We don't seem to have an organizational sentimentality for radio play by play guys.

On 2/9/2019 at 2:56 PM, Moose Milligan said:

I think Hunter could actually be good if he stopped being a member of the lollipop guild.

He has a good voice. But as you said...he's such a huge homer it's annoying as hell.

Wanted to mention this. I stumbled on this over the weekend and forgot to post. 

Angel said the Orioles offered him a variety of options in less demanding roles. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-joe-angels-waves-bye-bye-20190215-story,amp.html

Also he was interviewed on High Heat today with Chris Russo. 

• Thanks 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Who's Online   0 Members, 1 Anonymous, 120 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Orioles Information

Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2020 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2020 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats

• MLB Pipeline did a Top 10 on their podcast this week, including shreds on I guess NCAA sophomores who like Kjerstad in February/March may have done stuff for a few weeks.  It also acquainted me with the demographics of the basket where 1-5 will be one of them. Pirates 1 - Lawlar the HS shortstop Rangers 2 - Kumar Tigers 3 - McClain, some Madrigal-sized middle infielder from UCLA, maybe/maybe not SS Red Sox 4 - del Castillo, some slugging catcher from "The U" deemed best hitter in draft Orioles 5 - Leiter (I'd be glad with this outcome for polish going towards 2022 usefulness) D'Backs 6 - Jake Hill, the LSU right-hander, non-Vanderbilt best of SEC rest.   Guessing Ben may know him some. Royals 7 - Jud Zabian, Florida OF    <mock now at 6 straight NCAA after the high school SS character who seems impossible to get to 1-5> <hosts say these Top 7 are a clear tier in whatever order they fall> Rockies 8 - Alex Vanellas, Louisville 3B Angels 9 - Marcelo Mayer, high school SS #2 Mets 10 - James Wood, IMG Academy high school OF <nary a high school pitcher in these 10, though with draft pushed back to July, the Nick Bitsko analogs born in 2003 will have some extra time to strut their stuff, in case the next Kerry Wood, Josh Beckett or Dylan Bundy can only Netflix and chill right now>    
    • I would dangle him to anyone whi would take him. I didn't want him back at any cost let alone 1.8M
    • He is so streaky that when he is in his funk he will be worse than the MIF we run out there.
    • https://halohangout.com/2020/07/13/angels-garrett-stallings-summer-camp/ An Angels fansite report when he later got to their 60 this summer cites a curve as the Junior year difference maker. Their source for that this campus story https://247sports.com/college/tennessee/Article/Tennessee-Vols-Baseball-Vols-Garrett-Stallings-selected-in-fifth-round-of-MLB-Draft-132589216/ also has the details he was their 2019 Friday night guy even with Crochet on the team. His Perfect Game blurb from high school times mentioned three-quarters to over the top arm angle, gee whiz. Who knows if he could have had Kevin Smith's 2019 in parallel universe 2020?   SEC trade imports links them, but Smith actually doing it including a little AA success is a big credit in his favor for the moment.
    • He fits the Smith/Kjerstad mold of SEC guys steadily improving (Growth Mindset?), even if some of that is demonstrated in small sample sizes.   Smith did backup his Junior Year rise up draft boards with his great 2019 for the Mets.  I am imagining entering Junior year Stallings was not a 5th or 25th round profile.   He's one more piece for the box of chocolates we'll get to open in the spring.
    • I wonder if he had a velocity spike his junior year and if that would make it less likely for him to have untapped velocity?
  • Popular Contributors