weams

More Mountcastle by Charles Boemmel Jr.

2 hours ago, weams said:

If what you are saying is that Mountcastle is superior to all the other folks on the 26 man roster that are not pitchers, I have to agree. 

Wow!  You must think he's going to be  really, really, good.  As everyone knows, I am skeptical that he's even as good as Mancini.  When you factor in defense, I'd take Hays over him too.  I don't think he's clearly above that many guys.  We'll see.  

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, tarheeloriole said:

The guy was the MVP of the league last year, it would be criminal to keep him down there all year. He's gonna be a stud

You can take this line of thinking too far.  Mountcastle's value is almost solely as a hitter, and he had the 45th-best OPS in the International League (min 100 PAs).  The other 44 were either much older, or got called up to the majors so they didn't have as much playing time.  Mountcastle won the IL MVP because he was the best real prospect who spent most of the year in the IL.

I think/hope Mountcastle will be good, but he was out-hit in AAA by Chance Sisco, Jace Peterson and DJ Stewart.  And Breyvic Valera. Not to mention Kevin Padlo, Austin Riley and Luis Robert, who were all his age or younger.

But having said all that, the expectation should be that Mountcastle will spend most of the year in Baltimore.

• Upvote 1

Anyone that thinks that another year in the minors will work some magic over ALL his flaws are unrealistic. His arm isn't going to change, his foot speed is not going to increase, perhaps his BB rate could increase, but that could have some consequence (not necessarily positive) on his offensive production. We are talking about a likely 100+ loss team here, is he going to impact that? The O's should at least let him get over the anxiety of being a rookie and see if his bat plays at all at the ML level, while they are losing 100+ games. IMO, now is the time to find out about some of these terribly flawed players.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, UpstateNYfan said:

Anyone that thinks that another year in the minors will work some magic over ALL his flaws are unrealistic. His arm isn't going to change, his foot speed is not going to increase, perhaps his BB rate could increase, but that could have some consequence (not necessarily positive) on his offensive production. We are talking about a likely 100+ loss team here, is he going to impact that? The O's should at least let him get over the anxiety of being a rookie and see if his bat plays at all at the ML level, while they are losing 100+ games. IMO, now is the time to find out about some of these terribly flawed players.

The main reason to give him more time in the minors is that he’s played only 83 games at 1B and 26 in LF.    If his future is at one of those positions it might be good to give him more time to focus on that without simultaneously having to adjust his offense to major league pitching.    I don’t believe he needs more AAA time to work on his hitting.    He could use more patience, but could work on that at the major league level if it there were no defensive issues to address.     

Having said all that, I expect him to be in the majors relatively quickly in 2020.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Wow!  You must think he's going to be  really, really, good.  As everyone knows, I am skeptical that he's even as good as Mancini.  When you factor in defense, I'd take Hays over him too.  I don't think he's clearly above that many guys.  We'll see.  

I do. 

1 hour ago, UpstateNYfan said:

He is not terribly flawed. 

16 hours ago, waroriole said:

What do any of those things have to do with Mountcastle?

That was my thought. There were always going to be a SS and a backup SS on the roster, neither of which would have been named Ryan Mountcastle. I don't understand the logic here.

Iglesias and Urena have absolutely no bearing whatsoever on what happens with Mountcastle. 

2 hours ago, weams said:

He is not terribly flawed. 

That description was meant to be tongue in cheek but was probably passive aggressive. It seems that OHers are looking for 5 tool players and focus on the one or two flaws all have. It is the nature of blogs, I understand...

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, PaulFolk said:

I think Corn was being sarcastic. There's absolutely no chance that actually happens. Mountcastle already spent an entire season at Norfolk; he's not going to spend another full year there. Not with starting spots ripe for the taking in the outfield or first base (whichever one Mancini isn't playing).

Mountcastle will be up by June at the latest, barring a disastrous first couple months at Norfolk.

What Mr. Folk said.  And I'm fine with that approach.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I think he'll be up shortly after they gain the extra year of controllability. Mountcastle will play most of 2020 in the majors unless an injury or some strange poor performance occurs.

This too.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Well Elias was talking about him getting reps at second and third.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Join me.  Join me in bringing everyone down a peg in regards to Mountcastle.  Let's be the wet blankets around here that these people don't know that they need, yet desperately seek.  

• Haha 1