Sign in to follow this  
Philip

Big thank you to Luhnow, Hinch and the Houstons

22 minutes ago, bobmc said:

Is using analytics to counteract "pitch tipping" the next new thing?  Reports said that Cora could detect pitch identification without technology.

Yes, Cora noticed that whenever the pitchers caused loud banging sounds to emanate from below the stands that they then threw an off-speed pitch.

11 minutes ago, Philip said:

Except for the fact that Cora should never be anywhere in the game ever again. He is not apologetic, his statement bordered on the defiant, and it is clear that he thinks he did absolutely nothing wrong. He should be banned for life he should be banned from stadiums and he should be banned from appearing on any network owned by major-league baseball

I think that we should wait for more fallout from this "scandal".  Other teams were involved for many years (cough Toronto cough).  Once we had the CF cams and hd quality, this opened up a new world of deceit.  This could get ugly.

1 hour ago, Philip said:

Except for the fact that Cora should never be anywhere in the game ever again. He is not apologetic, his statement bordered on the defiant, and it is clear that he thinks he did absolutely nothing wrong. He should be banned for life he should be banned from stadiums and he should be banned from appearing on any network owned by major-league baseball

Why don’t you say what you really think?   Lol.  😉   Sounds a little harsh to me.  

1 hour ago, bobmc said:

I think that we should wait for more fallout from this "scandal".  Other teams were involved for many years (cough Toronto cough).  Once we had the CF cams and hd quality, this opened up a new world of deceit.  This could get ugly.

I don't think MLB is interested in catching more cheaters.  You don't want fans to get the wrong idea.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, tntoriole said:

Why don’t you say what you really think?   Lol.  😉   Sounds a little harsh to me.  

Where do you think I am going overboard? I am a very guilty person, I am not blameless I am no saint, and I believe in forgiveness, redemption and mercy. But I also believe in consequences. Cora refuses to take responsibility, to admit that he did anything wrong, or express any remorse or regret.

Plus,  what he did was systematic and careful. It wasnt “accidental.” He woke up in the morning saying, “how can I steal signs and I don’t care how I do it.”

So with all due respect, no, I do not think what I am suggesting is too harsh.

Regarding other teams, deal with them as appropriate. But it is foolish to somehow minimize what Boston blatantly did on the grounds that Toronto did it as well. That doesn’t mean that Boston deserves less, it certainly doesn’t mean that Cora deserves less, it only means that Toronto deserves their own  consequences. 

3 hours ago, Philip said:

Where do you think I am going overboard? I am a very guilty person, I am not blameless I am no saint, and I believe in forgiveness, redemption and mercy. But I also believe in consequences. Cora refuses to take responsibility, to admit that he did anything wrong, or express any remorse or regret.

Plus,  what he did was systematic and careful. It wasnt “accidental.” He woke up in the morning saying, “how can I steal signs and I don’t care how I do it.”

So with all due respect, no, I do not think what I am suggesting is too harsh.

Regarding other teams, deal with them as appropriate. But it is foolish to somehow minimize what Boston blatantly did on the grounds that Toronto did it as well. That doesn’t mean that Boston deserves less, it certainly doesn’t mean that Cora deserves less, it only means that Toronto deserves their own  consequences. 

Name another individual who has a lifetime ban from even entering a ballpark?   Even Pete Rose can pay his way into a ballpark...lol. 

1 hour ago, tntoriole said:

Name another individual who has a lifetime ban from even entering a ballpark?   Even Pete Rose can pay his way into a ballpark...lol. 

Actually I thought Rose WAS banned. But so what? If Cora is the only one does that mean it’s overly harsh?

7 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think MLB is interested in catching more cheaters.  You don't want fans to get the wrong idea.

Also Mike Fiers primary motivation might have been to give his Oakland A’s an advantage in 2020. If Fiers is on another team he might have kept his mouth shut, well until he retired and then wrote a tell all book.

20 hours ago, atomic said:

Little did he know that the Red Sox and Yankees were cheating as well.  

This is funny considering the interview I just saw after the London series where Cora says Beltran was the Yankees best offseason acquisition in 2019 while winking.  

18 hours ago, Philip said:

Actually I thought Rose WAS banned. But so what? If Cora is the only one does that mean it’s overly harsh?

Rose is not allowed to be employed or given anything by an MLB club but he can and has shown up at ballparks and can pay his way in like any person. Yes, I think it is overly harsh.  Ban all the steroid abusing cheaters too if you want to be fair in your judgement.  And the domestic violence perpetrators.  Cora was stupid and made a very bad error in judgement.  He has been hit with a tremendously large penalty in the loss of a multi million dollar job, embarassment and permanently destroying his reputation and never will work again in his field.  So, enough with the punishment forever deal. 

44 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Rose is not allowed to be employed or given anything by an MLB club but he can and has shown up at ballparks and can pay his way in like any person. Yes, I think it is overly harsh.  Ban all the steroid abusing cheaters too if you want to be fair in your judgement.  And the domestic violence perpetrators.  Cora was stupid and made a very bad error in judgement.  He has been hit with a tremendously large penalty in the loss of a multi million dollar job, embarassment and permanently destroying his reputation and never will work again in his field.  So, enough with the punishment forever deal. 

All right, I appreciate where you’re coming from, and yes we do disagree, and that’s fine I stand exactly behind what I said, and you are welcome to do so as well.

I’ve always been convinced that the Yankees are cheaters.  How often have we seen average players go there and then turn into studs, with 2019 being a perfect example?  Guys like Tauchman, Urshela, & Mike Ford, who were bottom of the roster players and jettisoned by other teams, suddenly become Yankees and turn into studs.  Even Didi Gregorius was considered a defense-first player and a mediocre hitter when acquired, suddenly turns into Babe Ruth with the Yankees.  Even Aaron Hicks, who looked like a bust with the Twins, comes to the Yankees and becomes one of their better hitters.  And typically when Yankee players leave and go elsewhere, especially hitters, they are never as good.  Why do you think the Yankees always seem to win trades?  Because they artificially make players look better than they are, then trade them once their value is up and actually get a good return, only to see the player not do nearly as well with his new team.  Aaron Judge was a strikeout machine in the minors, and even in his first abbreviated year up with the Yankees in 2016.  Then 2017 comes around and he’s a completely different hitter that strikes out less and doesn’t miss any mistakes, becoming a perennial HR hitting stud.  Coincidence, I think not, which isn’t to discredit his success completely.

I know part of this is probably just envy and jealousy at how good the Yankees are and have usually always been, but I seriously think there’s more to it than just they are the big bad Yankees and can outspend every team in baseball.  I’m convinced there is some level of cheating going on, and it wouldn’t surprise me if Carlos Beltran had something to do with it, especially in 2019.