Sign in to follow this  
Frobby

It happens every spring

28 minutes ago, Frobby said:

After a long, gloomy winter in which I have exuded realism about the Orioles’ near term future, spring training has arrived and I am growing more optimistic daily based on the incessantly positive remarks coming from Brandon Hyde, Doug Brocail and a litany of players.    Lord it makes me happy!    The hell with realism, there will be plenty of time for that later!

But how many people have said someone is in the best shape of their life?

51 minutes ago, Frobby said:

After a long, gloomy winter in which I have exuded realism about the Orioles’ near term future, spring training has arrived and I am growing more optimistic daily based on the incessantly positive remarks coming from Brandon Hyde, Doug Brocail and a litany of players.    Lord it makes me happy!    The hell with realism, there will be plenty of time for that later!

Well yeah if Means can repeat his year from last year, Cobb can come back and Akin can make a smooth transition to major league pitcher and and.  Oh on second thought were screwed.

• Downvote 1

I think this Spring Training is objectively more exciting than last year's. More prospects who are closer this year and of course Adley. Also this feels like make or break for Davis. Might not end up being true but it's always going to be interesting to see how low he can get. Can't wait for the first televised game.

1 hour ago, Pickles said:

Optimism is cowardice.

Oswald Spengler

That’s a very interesting quote, and it’s not necessarily incorrect, but who wants to live in the bitterness That exists without any optimism? “There is no ‘bright side’”

Who would want to live like that? So I would tell Oswald that I doubt he is a hit at parties.

5 minutes ago, Philip said:

That’s a very interesting quote, and it’s not necessarily incorrect, but who wants to live in the bitterness That exists without any optimism? “There is no ‘bright side’”

Who would want to live like that? So I would tell Oswald that I doubt he is a hit at parties.

I think it's actually apocryphal.

But anybody who wants to understand the world today should read Spengler's "The Decline of the West."

But Os related, I hate to see a man be crushed, and from my perspective, anyone with optimism about this upcoming year, is going to be crushed.

But I confess, I am not much fun at parties either.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Look. I believe this is the spring we move on from Davis. That alone makes it a bright year. Of course, I always think Charlie Brown is really going to kick that football each year too. 

3 hours ago, RZNJ said:

I heard Atomic saw his shadow and is in for a long winter.

I didn't think vampires could see their shadow?

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

It Happens Every Spring was a great movie. 

• Upvote 1

I'm not sure whether I've posted some version of this before, but what the heck, it's a new season . . .

My favorite baseball song, by a pretty wide margin, is Tom Paxton's "My Favorite Spring." For me, it captures, and sucks you into, the game's cycle of hope and heartbreak gradually and subtly, without slipping into maudlin sentimentality.

Second place goes to "A Dying Cub Fan's Last Request," by Steve Goodman (who also gave us "Go, Cubs, Go!"). I think recent seasons of Oriole wretchedness have made me identify more with the long-time Cubs fans I've known.

Goodman died of leukemia in 1984, at age 36, four days before the Cubs clinched their first division title and first post-season appearance season since 1945. He was invited to sing the Star-Spangled Banner before the opener, but Jimmy Buffett had to fill in. 

• Upvote 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Orioles Information

Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats

• I am still adjusting to all the new people, in part because I watch over the MLB app and I frenetically switch between the TV, radio, home/away feeds so everyone kinda blurs together (particularly after a few beers). I think Ben is awesome on color. I like Melanie the best so far on play by play. Her even, steady, slow, accurate calls are a classic style. I find her voice pleasing. Sure, she could work on the excitement a bit perhaps, but I think it is better to grow into excitement than to come to the door with it. She will find her signature call. She has the most upside of the lot I think.
    • I don't have a problem with the baseball knowledge or game calling accuracy of anyone on the TV or radio crews this year. I fully understand the difficult circumstances and that they're beholden to what they see on TV. I don't think any of them are dunces about baseball. I'm sure all of them are very nice people, too. The lack of excitement -- especially with Scott Garceau -- is the worst thing for me. Jim Hunter may not have known the sport, but at least he knew how to make a home run call. He was also an excellent setup man for Jim Palmer's often sarcastic retorts. Palmer was so great at underhandedly insulting Hunter for not even "getting it" after Palmer hinted at it and it was so funny. Their dynamic was far more entertaining than Garceau and McDonald.
    • In some areas of private industry, there's a (fairly brutal, honestly) performance management process called "stack ranking." In stack ranking, everyone's performance is compared against each other, using a combination of objective and subjective metrics. The elite few at the top get raises and/or promotions; the solid contributors get to coast along undisturbed; the struggling end up getting "help" to try to improve their performance; and the worst of the worst get fired. This happens on a monthly, bi-annual or yearly cadence depending on the company. Stack ranking of umpires would be based on their accuracy on calls compared to the "correct" call via video review / electronic strike zone. You could set up the strata exactly as you do for tech workers: give raises to the best, let the good ones keep going, pull the struggling ones from daily MLB games and have them work on their calls and improve in some kind of umpiring camp, and just fire the worst ~1% every year. The other thing you could do is add more umpires to the umpiring pool. This would increase the "overhead" cost of umpiring, yes, but by adding more umpires without adding more teams or games, you could set up a situation where only the best X% of umpires get to call MLB games on the regular. The rest would either call simulated games, extended spring training games, or minor league games until they get better.
    • Please no more Jim Hunter EVER.  Joe Angel is retired.  I expect Gary and Jim back next year.  I agree with Frobby and Tony.  I think the new crew has done very well under trying circumstances.  You are sitting in an empty stadium watching a TV calling play by play.  Ben McDonald is great.  I hope Brian Roberts comes back next year.  I like Melanie Newman.  Like Tony says she knows baseball.  She can work on her excitement at times but these are all new people she is working with again under unusual conditions.  Scott is fine.  Maybe I am unobjective because I know he is such a good guy but I think that comes through during the broadcast much like it does with Gary Thorne.  I like that this regime of the Orioles made changes in response to what fans told them.  They tried to make the presentation better and I think they have very much overall.  I am sure they will tweek the changes and make it even better.
    • I haven't heard much from our radio guys, but it's kind of hilarious how the MLB editors in this highlight reel had to pull in our radio broadcasters multiple times for the call when Scott Garceau is using a living room conversational voice to call a big play where the O's are scoring.  Based on this, I'm satisfied with the radio crew. I just really hate Scott Garceau's complete and total lack of energy. Ben is a great color guy but I wouldn't want him calling the play by play either, he's also extremely sedate.  
    • Here's a whole playlist. 1981 album.  
    • Absolutely atrocious. Never seen umpiring that bad.    8th inning, tying run on second, Castro should have had Quinn struck out on #4. Phillies announcer said "3-1...I think? That looked right down the middle." Also given a free ball on#1.  Game on the line, Sulser should have had Harper struck out on #4. Perfect pitch painting the corner. 
  • Popular Contributors