interloper

Adley so far: 0-8, 1 walk, 5 Ks

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I took it for granted.   I took a lot of things for granted in those days.    The late ‘80’s were a total shock to my system.     I’d just assumed the Orioles would contend forever and everything would continue to go right for them.     Imagine being an Orioles fan after the 1983 season.    You’ve had a great team for 20+ years, won three World Series and had eight playoff appearances in that time, and you have a 27-year old Eddie Murray and a 23-year old Cal Ripken.     Why in the world would you expect anything other than that the team would continue to be great?    But as Drungo pointed out, the ship was rotting below the water line.   

And little did we know because we didn't follow that kind of stuff back then to the degree that we do now. I can remember thinking Bill Swaggerty was going to be the next great starter because that's just what the Orioles did, and that was produce starters. Who but the Orioles would take a middling pitcher like Steve Stone and watch him win the Cy Young award?

Other than perhaps hearing about the #1 pick, we never heard anything else about the drafts. I think Mark Corey was the first #1 pick I had heard about and thought he would be a stud. Tony Chavez would become another Dennis Martines, right? How in the world does a guy named Drungo Hazewood, who slashed .261/.355/.485/.840 with 28 bombs in AA at 20-years of age, not become a star? 

23 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

And little did we know because we didn't follow that kind of stuff back then to the degree that we do now. I can remember thinking Bill Swaggerty was going to be the next great starter because that's just what the Orioles did, and that was produce starters. Who but the Orioles would take a middling pitcher like Steve Stone and watch him win the Cy Young award?

Other than perhaps hearing about the #1 pick, we never heard anything else about the drafts. I think Mark Corey was the first #1 pick I had heard about and thought he would be a stud. Tony Chavez would become another Dennis Martines, right? How in the world does a guy named Drungo Hazewood, who slashed .261/.355/.485/.840 with 28 bombs in AA at 20-years of age, not become a star? 

Scrolling down the list of Orioles no. 1 picks, I think the first one I was aware of on or near draft day was Chris Myers in 1987.     That was the first time In team history the Orioles  had a top 9 draft pick. Until then, the team was always good and fans didn’t give the draft a second thought.   Myers, I remember, was considered a surprising choice.     I recall he was an outfielder who had converted to pitcher.   He never made the majors.   

I knew almost nothing about the Orioles’ minor league system until I discovered Orioles Hangout in 2001 or 2002.    Erik Bedard was one of the big stars of the system then, and Matt Riley was on the mend.    Not a ton of talent in the system at that point, especially on offense.   

35 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

One thing looking at Drungo's minor league stats is that he averaged more than one strike out per game played. While that is nothing out of the ordinary in today's game, back in the 70s and 80s unless you produced has a hitter being a strikeout machine was not really accepted out of a starting major league player. 

I wonder if Drungo came up today would things have worked out differently for him. He drew a decent number of walks to boost his OBP to .350+ in his better minor league seasons. 

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/h/hazewdr01.shtml

7 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

One thing looking at Drungo's minor league stats is that he averaged more than one strike out per game played. While that is nothing out of the ordinary in today's game, back in the 70s and 80s unless you produced has a hitter being a strikeout machine was not really accepted out of a starting major league player. 

I wonder if Drungo came up today would things have worked out differently for him. He drew a decent number of walks to boost his OBP to .350+ in his better minor league seasons. 

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/h/hazewdr01.shtml

If that was his K rate back then how high would it be in today's game?

The O's actually had a small Nicaraguan pipeline with Dennis Martinez and a couple others and later the Aruban pipeline with Ponson, Kingsale, and others.  The drafts were terrible but I hoped HS outfielders like Keith Schmidt, Eric Alexander, Dallas Williams and Rick Elder would become stars.  Even Pat Gillick struck out with the immortal Daren Hooper. 

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

I love that movie so much.    Pure corn and I looooooovvvvvve it.   

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

You know, as big a baseball fan that I am, I just never liked that movie. Give me some Bull Durham or Field of Dream anyday though. ;)

51 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Me too. The Natural is just a good movie, not just a good baseball movie. The only other one I'd lump into that category is Bull Durham. Field of Dreams was great when I was a young teen, but nowadays it just seems a bit too sappy and over the top with the sentimentality. To each their own though. 

45 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

You know, as big a baseball fan that I am, I just never liked that movie. Give me some Bull Durham or Field of Dream anyday though. ;)

Field of Dreams is only good once James Earl Jones shows up.    From then to the end, it’s gold.   Bull Durham is great.

Have any of you seen "Trouble with the Curve" with Clint Eastwood?  I enjoyed it.  Although it was slow to get going.