Sign in to follow this  
Moose Milligan

...so what does this mean for our prospects?

12 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m wondering if we could see a different strategy with respect to service time than we usually see.    You’ll have a fair number of players who might have been deemed major league ready by the end of a full season, but they won’t be ready now.     But you could do things like put DL Hall on the 60-man roster and let him pitch 2-3 games towards the end of the season, knowing that in 2021 he’ll be spending at least half the year in the minors so you’re not really messing up his service time.     I think it will be interesting to see if teams do some unconventional things like this, particularly the Orioles, who may as well experiment.    

I think it really depends on what they decide to do for the Fall Leagues. If they cancel it, then no problem with doing that. But if they have the “expanded” league like they were talking about, I could see them just having them workout and then go to that league instead.

On 6/25/2020 at 10:21 AM, Tony-OH said:

Yep, I get it you're a close the world down and hide until this is all (maybe never) kind of person. I get it, because I've seen some of the skewed information getting pushed lately by the media.

We are just going to have to disagree. 

I think it will be completely fine to have these camps and for the ones that end up getting COVID, few will have any kind of symptoms that will cause any problems past a few weeks. 

Honestly though, I believe MLB will end up not doing this because almost all corporations are either pandering or taking the least risk as possible right now. 

I gotta be completely honest though and say I just don't care enough anymore to get upset. You could tell me tomorrow that the MLB season was cancelled once again and I'd be ambivalent. 

I'd rather see baseball this year, but if it doesn't happen for either COVID or safety reasons (since most cities are violent, unsafe hellholes right now) I'm not going to lose any sleep.

Really? When is the last time you’ve been to a city? Pretty ignorant from the site’s owner, to be honest....

• Downvote 3

On 6/27/2020 at 5:53 PM, VaBird1 said:

I was just wondering if they might do this.  They have a some upper level guys who need to play like Akin, Mountcastle, Diaz, Zimmerman, etc.  

I think Akin was going to be up for good this year anyway, so I'm not sure he fits the profile/model @Frobby was describing

On 6/26/2020 at 6:46 AM, DrungoHazewood said:

Holy crap... is this your first post since 2011?

Wow, i didn't pay close attention and just assumed that someone was using the same name. 

4 hours ago, ReclaimTheCrown said:

Really? When is the last time you’ve been to a city? Pretty ignorant from the site’s owner, to be honest....

Bashing the guy that runs the site? Wow. way to win friends and influence people. Btw, I agree with him so use a few more downvotes.

Like I care.

On 6/28/2020 at 10:10 PM, Satyr3206 said:

Bashing the guy that runs the site? Wow. way to win friends and influence people. Btw, I agree with him so use a few more downvotes.

Like I care.

Clearly my intent was not to “make friends”....just calling out something that seemed in pretty poor taste. Kinda surprised to be the only one, but eh 🤷🏼‍♂️

Not really worried about down votes, lol....

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Who's Online   0 Members, 1 Anonymous, 144 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Orioles Information

Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2020 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2020 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats

• MLB Pipeline did a Top 10 on their podcast this week, including shreds on I guess NCAA sophomores who like Kjerstad in February/March may have done stuff for a few weeks.  It also acquainted me with the demographics of the basket where 1-5 will be one of them. Pirates 1 - Lawlar the HS shortstop Rangers 2 - Kumar Tigers 3 - McClain, some Madrigal-sized middle infielder from UCLA, maybe/maybe not SS Red Sox 4 - del Castillo, some slugging catcher from "The U" deemed best hitter in draft Orioles 5 - Leiter (I'd be glad with this outcome for polish going towards 2022 usefulness) D'Backs 6 - Jake Hill, the LSU right-hander, non-Vanderbilt best of SEC rest.   Guessing Ben may know him some. Royals 7 - Jud Zabian, Florida OF    <mock now at 6 straight NCAA after the high school SS character who seems impossible to get to 1-5> <hosts say these Top 7 are a clear tier in whatever order they fall> Rockies 8 - Alex Vanellas, Louisville 3B Angels 9 - Marcelo Mayer, high school SS #2 Mets 10 - James Wood, IMG Academy high school OF <nary a high school pitcher in these 10, though with draft pushed back to July, the Nick Bitsko analogs born in 2003 will have some extra time to strut their stuff, in case the next Kerry Wood, Josh Beckett or Dylan Bundy can only Netflix and chill right now>    
    • I would dangle him to anyone whi would take him. I didn't want him back at any cost let alone 1.8M
    • He is so streaky that when he is in his funk he will be worse than the MIF we run out there.
    • https://halohangout.com/2020/07/13/angels-garrett-stallings-summer-camp/ An Angels fansite report when he later got to their 60 this summer cites a curve as the Junior year difference maker. Their source for that this campus story https://247sports.com/college/tennessee/Article/Tennessee-Vols-Baseball-Vols-Garrett-Stallings-selected-in-fifth-round-of-MLB-Draft-132589216/ also has the details he was their 2019 Friday night guy even with Crochet on the team. His Perfect Game blurb from high school times mentioned three-quarters to over the top arm angle, gee whiz. Who knows if he could have had Kevin Smith's 2019 in parallel universe 2020?   SEC trade imports links them, but Smith actually doing it including a little AA success is a big credit in his favor for the moment.
    • He fits the Smith/Kjerstad mold of SEC guys steadily improving (Growth Mindset?), even if some of that is demonstrated in small sample sizes.   Smith did backup his Junior Year rise up draft boards with his great 2019 for the Mets.  I am imagining entering Junior year Stallings was not a 5th or 25th round profile.   He's one more piece for the box of chocolates we'll get to open in the spring.
    • I wonder if he had a velocity spike his junior year and if that would make it less likely for him to have untapped velocity?
  • Popular Contributors