SteveA

Players opting out of 2020 season

I think most the guys that are opting out are more concerned with the travel part then the games as if they test everyday like they are supposed to getting it at the park is near nil imo.  I wonder if at a point a team in playoff hunt have a guy play just home games. This could be especially true for pitchers if you manipulate the schedule enough you could have a guy pitch just home games and maybe a start or two to close road games.  Could you get a guy like Scherzer to pitch enough to help the team but also keep him from flight travel.  He could pitch at home games and even road games at say Baltimore or Philly and their wouldn’t be any travel with team.  I know some will say he not there for team but if I am player I would rather have 10 starts for him then none.

• Upvote 1

I just did a quick run of the option to someone like Scherzer and it was possible to get him 12 starts and never need on a team plane.  9 starts at home 2 in philly and 1 in Baltimore.  He only be on short rest 1 time.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Michael Kopec is not playing this season.

Finally breaks the NL monopoly.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

Finally breaks the NL monopoly.

I mean, the National League IS the “Senior Circuit” and we know how stubborn the youngsters can be...

2 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Michael Kopec is not playing this season.

They announced last week he was dealing with personal issues which is why he was not at camp in the beginning.  This may not be a full coronavirus issue here based on the previous comments on situation.  

54 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

They announced last week he was dealing with personal issues which is why he was not at camp in the beginning.  This may not be a full coronavirus issue here based on the previous comments on situation.  

It’s similar to Posey. Both have stuff outside of baseball they are dealing with and taking this time off to deal with it is a better decision. 

Kopech sounds more and more his decision is not Coronavirus and other issues based on comments of players and coaches.  Sounds more like Zack Grenkie situation.

Cardinals hard throwing reliever Jordan Hicks opts out.   He was recovering from Tommy John surgery and was going to open the season on the DL, but he was expected to pitch at some point this year.  

He has Type 1 diabetes (like Oriole starter Kohl Stewart).  Because of that, he is allowed to receive his salary and earn service time, unlike the other guys without conditions that allow that.

He's been added to the list in the initial post in this thread.

• Thanks 1

11 of the 90 MLB umps have chosen to opt out of the season.   Since MLB likes to maintain 19 crews = 76 umps, they still have enough to be considered a full complement.

The 11 were not named.   I imagine we'll be checking those box scores next Thursday and Friday to see if our "favorites" appear in a box score or not.

49 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Astro reliever Joe Smith opts out of the season.

He was often good for 11 points, 7 rebounds a game.

Oh, different Joe Smith.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, SteveA said:

11 of the 90 MLB umps have chosen to opt out of the season.   Since MLB likes to maintain 19 crews = 76 umps, they still have enough to be considered a full complement.

The 11 were not named.   I imagine we'll be checking those box scores next Thursday and Friday to see if our "favorites" appear in a box score or not.

Well, we know Joe West wasn’t one of them.

• Upvote 1

Didn't think this merited its own thread on the main board but thought more people would see it here than on the MLB forum.

This would be something, not sure how well Fredericksburg is set up for broadcasting games on tv.

37 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Didn't think this merited its own thread on the main board but thought more people would see it here than on the MLB forum.

This would be something, not sure how well Fredericksburg is set up for broadcasting games on tv.

Brand new stadium in Fredericksburg.   What a way to open a new minor league stadium... Scherzer vs Cole!