Jump to content
MurphDogg

Orioles make an offer to Yasiel Puig. UPDATE: Puig to sign with Braves Tests POSITIVE for COVID 19

Recommended Posts

If you think we're buying Puig with the hopes of flipping him for good prospects, I have ocean front property in Arizona to sell you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, gtown said:

What do you really mean by "breaking even?" Payroll is low. I'm guessing Puig's prorated salary would be between $1 -2 million. 

This is akin to paying x dollars for a mystery prospect from a grab bag. Yes, it's a gamble, but for a rebuilding team, the goal is to accumulate prospects. 

I mean getting a fair return on the investment.

Spend 1.7M get 1.7M worth of return.

Although honestly the return should be higher since the O's have the risk of not being able to trade him and being on the hook for his whole salary.

Just seems like a poorly thought out plan, I'd rather take on a bad contract now than hope to flip a player later in the season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Philip said:

Well in addition to the Smith-level guys Stewart, Mountcastle, McKenna( isn’t he close enough?) Mullins, and I’m drawing a blank after them, but that’s enough. We got 2 and one spot remaining for a corner and a backup. I have reservations about both MC and Stewart, but what better time to throw them into the fray than right now?

Puig won’t bring anything, and will take playing time away from guys who might be part of the future.

its much better to treat this season like an extended spring, and see what our guys can do.

Have you seen McKenna at the plate since he left Frederick? He is a long shot to be a contributor at the major league level. I wouldn't take Stewart or Mullins into consideration when making moves either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DirtyBird said:

Have you seen McKenna at the plate since he left Frederick? He is a long shot to be a contributor at the major league level. I wouldn't take Stewart or Mullins into consideration when making moves either.

I think it's too early to cut bait on Stewart.  He was hurt last year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's also the layer of thawing the iceberg of good free agent's perception of the organization, inching towards Miguel Tejada: The Next Generation somewhere down the line.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Of the players in camp, there is currently 1 MLB quality outfielder with a chance to make the roster, Austin Hays. DJ Stewart could be an MLB quality outfielder, maybe 25-50 percent chance if you are being generous, as could Mountcastle but he has no chance to make the OD roster.

Williams, Mullins, and Wilkerson aren't at that level and neither is Dwight Smith, Jr., who is not currently in camp.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I mean getting a fair return on the investment.

Spend 1.7M get 1.7M worth of return.

Although honestly the return should be higher since the O's have the risk of not being able to trade him and being on the hook for his whole salary.

Just seems like a poorly thought out plan, I'd rather take on a bad contract now than hope to flip a player later in the season.

There is brand value in having actual Major League quality players on your Major League team, although it is tough to quantify to a dollar amount, and it is probably less with no fans in the stands.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MurphDogg said:

There is brand value in having actual Major League quality players on your Major League team, although it is tough to quantify to a dollar amount, and it is probably less with no fans in the stands.

He sure isn't going to sell any tickets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I mean getting a fair return on the investment.

Spend 1.7M get 1.7M worth of return.

Although honestly the return should be higher since the O's have the risk of not being able to trade him and being on the hook for his whole salary.

Just seems like a poorly thought out plan, I'd rather take on a bad contract now than hope to flip a player later in the season.

How do you judge the "return" for a prospect? That's a serious question. There is not really an open market for prospects, unless you consider international slot money. You get prospects primarily through the draft and the the international pool. Both are capped.

It's not like they can use the $1.7M to go buy a prospect instead. 

For a low payroll team, I like the risk, especially this year when injuries + COVID + opting out can put teams in a pinch. What else could they do with that kind of money?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Puig made 9.7m last season.   So the O's would offer him 3 -3.5m for two months hoping they could trade him for prospects?

Five million for two years. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, gtown said:

How do you judge the "return" for a prospect? That's a serious question. There is not really an open market for prospects, unless you consider international slot money. You get prospects primarily through the draft and the the international pool. Both are capped.

It's not like they can use the $1.7M to go buy a prospect instead. 

For a low payroll team, I like the risk, especially this year when injuries + COVID + opting out can put teams in a pinch. What else could they do with that kind of money?

By projecting the future performance of the player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Of the players in camp, there is currently 1 MLB quality outfielder with a chance to make the roster, Austin Hays. DJ Stewart could be an MLB quality outfielder, maybe 25-50 percent chance if you are being generous, as could Mountcastle but he has no chance to make the OD roster.

Williams, Mullins, and Wilkerson aren't at that level and neither is Dwight Smith, Jr., who is not currently in camp.

I think this is more their thought process. With Santander out, they don't feel like they have good outfield depth.

Someone's gotta play RF on opening day. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Lucky_13 said:

I think this is more their thought process. With Santander out, they don't feel like they have good outfield depth.

Someone's gotta play RF on opening day. 

There is always a waiver wire guy you can throw out there.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

By projecting the future performance of the player.

No. All prospects, even first round picks are gambles. But this isn't even like a draft pick. It's not rotisserie baseball. A rebuilding team should be looking at all avenues to add prospects.

You have a hypothetical $1.7 M. You have a chance to gamble on the potential of a prospect. How else could you use that money to get a prospect? Again, the draft and pool money are capped. So you could take the risk as a low payroll team. It might work out, it might not. If you don't spend the money you get nothing. 

I like the risk. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






  • Posts

    • Talk about "lack of imagination..." -- I'm talking about the ZiPS figures, not Szymborski or the Orioles. Hardly seems worth running the projections over five years if there's so little variation from year to year for each of those players. Maybe I'm just spoiled by wildly fluctuating careers in baseball sim games... or reality itself.
    • Wow, I'm shocked to see we're technically still in it. I basically called it done a couple of losses ago. But how could I forget, it ain't over till it's over! 6 games left, so basically the O's have been in contention for 90 percent of the season. Who'd a thunk?
    • The original intention is to stock up on international players which he’s also done. 
    • Well, we're up against it now.   Toronto beat the Yankees tonight.  There's now only one way the O's can make the playoffs: 1) Sweep the Red Sox 2) Toronto loses three to the Yankees the next three days 3) Seattle loses at least 2 games ([email protected], 4 vs Oak)*     *If Seattle goes 5-1 or better, we would still be OK if Houston loses at least 5 of their last 6 (2vsSea, 4 vs Tex) 4) Angels lose at least 1 more game (2 vs SD, 3 @Dodgers)
    • o   (vs. DEVIL RAYS, 9/21)   deGrom had 14 Strikeouts over 7 Inning Pitched tonight ...... but he was charged with a loss, as his Mets fell by a score of 2-1.   https://www.espn.com/mlb/boxscore?gameId=401226481   For the 2020 season overall, deGrom has a 2.14 ERA and an 0.921 WHIP.   o
    • “Keegan Akin started in the bullpen this year with the Baltimore Orioles but has since moved to the rotation. So far it has been paying off for the Orioles as the rookie has been nothing short of impressive. In four starts Akin has produced a 2.35 ERA, 1.62 FIP, 36.4 K%, and 15.5 SwStr%. What is even more impressive is who he put those numbers up against. In those four starts he has faced the Yankees twice, the Braves, and the Blue Jays. All very formidable offenses.  “The only issue with Akin besides the small sample size is that he lives in the zone a little too much. He has a low O-Swing% of 26.3% which means hitters aren’t chasing him outside of the zone. With command issues stemming from the minors he also might be hesitant to live outside the zone and risk walking too many hitters. This is definitely something we have to monitor.   “Akin’s main strength is his fastball which has above average movement in both vertical and horizontal movement. While it doesn’t have much velocity the movement of the pitch makes up for it. He also places it well trying to place it high in the zone as often as possible. That fastball is paired with a changeup that straight up fools hitters. It comes in 10 mph slower than his fastball with late vertical drop at the bottom of the zone. His changeup currently holds an impressive 20.3 SwStr%. “As for 2021 Akin will be an interesting pitcher to evaluate. A very small sample size alone puts a lot of this into question. But with what looks like a solid fastball/changeup combination he will be worth a shot towards the end of drafts.” https://fantasy.fangraphs.com/analyzing-rookie-pitchers-part-ii/
  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...