Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
hoosiers

Dylan Bundy - Did Our Saber Guys Fail Us?

Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, Frobby said:

Per an article I saw in Fangraphs, the trends in his pitch mix largely  started last year.   They’ve moved a bit further in the same direction this year.   The one exception is he used his slider just a bit less last year than the year before, but this year has reversed that.   

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/you-can-dream-on-dylan-bundy-again/

PS - I think there’s a Bundy thread already in the MLB forum.   I don’t mind discussing this Forbes article here since it’s related to our pitching development program in a backhand way.   

Yeah Elias already had him throwing a different pitch mix. He just continued it/furthered it this year. 

It is what it is. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As hard as he works, who is to say he didn’t spend the off season looking at film himself and figuring out how to get better?  I would bet dollars to donuts that is more of what happened with the pitch mix than coaching.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, Bundy's last 3 starts have not been nearly as good as his first 4 starts.  Maybe the league is adjusting to his new pitch mix? 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, murph said:

Also, Bundy's last 3 starts have not been nearly as good as his first 4 starts.  Maybe the league is adjusting to his new pitch mix? 

 

It's all about the slider. When it's on, it's one of the nastiest pitches I've ever seen someone throw that consistently over multiple innings. If it's not quite as elite that particular day, he can run into some trouble. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

It is possible that he is pitching better and that is affecting his pitch selection, i.e. if he is ahead in the count more. 

Also it looks like he has steadily reduced his FB%. The trend started on the O's even if he is taking it to a new level. (61% in 2015, down to 50% in 2019, 39% this year).

I heard last week something like this is the first year in MLB history fastball usage has dipped <50%.

It was kind of a watershed for me watching Lance McCullers throw like 30-straight curveballs to the Yankees in the playoffs; even for pitchers with credible fastballs, their hottest breaking pitches I think are generally considered most effective.

I think maybe the pig's next stop in the python will be can careers sustain?  But if the teams get their effectiveness in 1-2 year doses, do they even care?   Driveline's gonna ready hundreds of AAA guys willing to blow it out for their 15 seconds of fame, bruh, and data is growing the science slice of the pie chart at art's expense.

Maybe teams care about Walker Buehler (and wishing for Grayson Rodriguez, etc), but even his HOF-potential career seems likely to be punctuated by a turn off every 8-10 starts, until we get to see him try his very best in October.

We can buy Bundy back for 2022 if the situation is right; the real grade for our Saber process is how does that Bundy basket pitch - seems clear they were our handpicked guys.  I recall the Angels GM giving a quote a higher-level guy was talked about in the negotiations, but the Orioles request ended up being the basis of the deal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

He has a 2.50 ERA in 42 innings.  In 2017 he had a 1.65 in April and a 2.00 in August.  In 2018 he had a 1.98 in June and a 2.97 in April.  In '19 he had a 2.64 in May.  When he came up he was averaging 94 on the fastball, now he's sitting at 90.

If he throws his next 200 innings to a 3.00 I'll concede your point.

 

I made a similar post in a thread in the other forum.    Even if he pitches well “all” season this year, we won’t really know if he can hold it together over 30 starts.    I hope he can — he’ll always be someone I root for.   

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

I heard last week something like this is the first year in MLB history fastball usage has dipped <50%.

It was kind of a watershed for me watching Lance McCullers throw like 30-straight curveballs to the Yankees in the playoffs; even for pitchers with credible fastballs, their hottest breaking pitches I think are generally considered most effective.

I think maybe the pig's next stop in the python will be can careers sustain?  But if the teams get their effectiveness in 1-2 year doses, do they even care?   Driveline's gonna ready hundreds of AAA guys willing to blow it out for their 15 seconds of fame, bruh, and data is growing the science slice of the pie chart at art's expense.

Maybe teams care about Walker Buehler (and wishing for Grayson Rodriguez, etc), but even his HOF-potential career seems likely to be punctuated by a turn off every 8-10 starts, until we get to see him try his very best in October.

We can buy Bundy back for 2022 if the situation is right; the real grade for our Saber process is how does that Bundy basket pitch - seems clear they were our handpicked guys.  I recall the Angels GM giving a quote a higher-level guy was talked about in the negotiations, but the Orioles request ended up being the basis of the deal.

39% FB's is crazy! Unbelievable Bundy has become a soft tossing junk guy. He really has a fantastic slider and change though. Just imagine what he could have been throwing 96-98. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

39% FB's is crazy! Unbelievable Bundy has become a soft tossing junk guy. He really has a fantastic slider and change though. Just imagine what he could have been throwing 96-98. 

When the shoulder turned to calcium, I was no longer on board.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, weams said:

When the shoulder turned to calcium, I was no longer on board.  

He never should have gone to Greece.

 

That was too obscure right?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

39% FB's is crazy! Unbelievable Bundy has become a soft tossing junk guy. He really has a fantastic slider and change though. Just imagine what he could have been throwing 96-98. 

Almost every pitcher in history is battling to figure everything out before his fastball loses four mph.  The very best are the ones with stuff so good they don't have to know what they're doing, ones who just naturally know how to pitch when they're 20, or the Nolan Ryan freaks (or is he just the one freak?) who throw 94 at 45.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

He never should have gone to Greece.

 

That was too obscure right?

I didn't get it.  But I don't think anything is too obscure.  It's up to us to keep up or just not care.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Almost every pitcher in history is battling to figure everything out before his fastball loses four mph.  The very best are the ones with stuff so good they don't have to know what they're doing, ones who just naturally know how to pitch when they're 20, or the Nolan Ryan freaks (or is he just the one freak?) who throw 94 at 45.

Very true but would have been nice to capture at least a couple of years with the good stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I didn't get it.  But I don't think anything is too obscure.  It's up to us to keep up or just not care.

Strictly from memory (and a faulty one at that), Bundy went to Greece for platlet? Injections.     Before the shoulder calcified.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2020 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2020 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






  • Posts

    • This is where we will track significant activity throughout spring training. This will be updated with cuts and additional players acquired throughout the spring. Starters John Means  (3/1) Will make his spring debut tomorrow against the Yankees and lines up for the Opening Day start on April 1st Keegan Akin (3/1) Healthy and will need to pitch himself off this team Dean Kremer (3/1) Healthy will need to pitch himself off this team Jorge López (3/1) Allowed two runs in two innings of work on five hits and walk. needed 47 pitches to get through two innings. For some reason though the Orioles are giving him every opportunity to win a spot in the rotation.  Felix Hernandez (NRI) (3/1) Reportedly looks a little heavy but is healthy and will be given every opportunity to win a spot in the rotation. Matt Harvey (NRI) (3/1) Hasn't pitched well in the majors since 2018 and was hammered last year in Kansas City. His lost spin on his stuff but will be given an opportunity to win a spot in the rotation or possibly in the pen. Wade LeBlanc (NRI) (3/1) Brought back despite tossing just one good start last year. Changeup pitcher who can provide some depth in the bullpen or as a swingman if needed. Bruce Zimmermann (3/1) If he pitches well he could be in the rotation. Ashton Goudeau (3/1) Reportedly has looked pretty good in camp so far but hasn't had any success over AAA. Thomas Eshelman (NRI) (2/28) Lunch bucket guy got the spring opener but allowed two runs, one earned on a hit and two walks.  Michael Baumann (3/1) Heading for AAA Zac Lowther (3/1) Heading for AAA, but pitched out of some trouble in spring debut allowing two base runners but no runs. Fastball sat 88-91 and his threw five changeups out of his 14 pitches. Alexander Wells (2/28) Reportedly has an oblique injury for the second straight spring and will be held back (3/1) Heading for AAA Josh Rogers (NRI) Mickey Jannis (NRI) Konner Wade (NRI) Spenser Watkins (NRI) (2/28) Tossed a scoreless 9th against minor leaguers. Relievers Hunter Harvey Tanner Scott Cesar Valdez Dillon Tate Paul Fry Shawn Armstrong (3/1) Down 1.3 MPH off his 2020 velocity, Armstrong allowed a two-run homer in his one inning of work.  Travis Lakins Sr. Cole Sulser Isaac Mattson (2/28) Allowed a home run and walked two in his Orioles spring debut. Mac Sceroler (3/1) Rule 5 pick made his spring debut and worked his way out of bases loaded jam. Walked two and allowed a single, needing 28 pitches to get through his frame against mostly minor leaguers. He sat 92-94 mph with fastball and showed a hard curve that he varied from 78-84 MPH but it didn't have a ton of break. Just one outing, but nothing stood out stuff wise as a guy you have to keep. Tyler Wells (3/1) Rule 5 pick made his debut as well tossing one scoreless innings allowing a walk. His fastball sat 93.7  to  95.4 MPH but didn't show a ton of life. He did get one swing and miss on his fastball up in the zone and recorded a strikeout on a curveball looking against a minor leaguer. With his size and fastball curveball combination he could be interesting in relief. Conner Greene (NRI) 2/28 - Struck out two of the three batters he faced and reportedly hit 97 MPH. That will open some eyes. Marcos Diplán (NRI)  2/28 - Tossed a scoreless innings of relief. Fernando Abad (NRI) (2/28) Brought in the game in the 2nd inning to face major leaguers, pitched his way out of a jam allowing two hits and walk but not a run. Cody Carroll (NRI) Evan Phillips (NRI) Eric Hanhold (NRI)  (2/28) Pitched the 3rd inning against major leaguers and allowed two runs, one earned on two hits including a home run in his innings of work. Jay Flaa (NRI) Zach Muckenhirn (NRI) Dusten Knight (NRI)   Catchers Pedro Severino (3/1) Odds on favorite to start most of the games at catcher this year. Chance Sisco (3/1) Typically a spring training phenom, he's looking to get more opportunities this season. Austin Wynns (NRI) (2/28) Needs an injury to make the team but is probably first up behind the dish. Taylor Davis (NRI) (3/1) Lunch bucket guy who can catch and play some first base Heading to AAA. Nick Ciuffo (NRI) (3/1) Former top prospect trying to refind it with the Orioles. Good defensive catcher who has never hit. Adley Rutschman (NRI) 3/1 Here to catch pitchers and soak in the majors until he's reassigned. Most likely will start in Aberdeen or Bowie. 1st Base Trey Mancini (2/28) Got a standing ovation before his first at bat and then singled sharply.      
    • Ravens and Jackson far apart in negotiations?   https://www.bostonglobe.com/2021/02/27/sports/latest-buzz-nfl-quarterback-market/
    • Just wanted to bump this if anyone is interested. 
    • He'll still catch his share of games.
    • Is the book closed on him being a C?
    • Good thing they don’t play basketball.  
  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...